XFree86 on a Dell Inspiron 8000

  • p4c0st4
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 19, 2004
      Dell Inspiron 8000 w/ an ATI Mobility M4

      I just finished emerging xfree and I ran /usr/X11R6/bin/X -configure
      and then ran /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86config.new
      and the screen goes black for a second but it fails and gives me the
      ouput:

      /* I've only included select sections of the output after going
      through the /var/log file */

      (EE) R128(0): No valid modes found /* seen after it was trying to load
      anyof the screen resolution modes in the pool */

      (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

      Fatal server error:
      no screens found

      /*****************EOF**************************************/
      If need be I can allways include the entire /var/log if someone feels
      they need that to diagnose the problem but something tells me its
      simpler then that. If any more information is needed please
      let just let me know.

      Thanks in advance,
      Pablo
    • Haedn Thorn
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 19, 2004
        --- p4c0st4 <p4c0st4@...> wrote:

        > Dell Inspiron 8000 w/ an ATI Mobility M4
        >
        > I just finished emerging xfree and I ran
        > /usr/X11R6/bin/X -configure
        > and then ran /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 -xf86config
        > /root/XF86config.new
        > and the screen goes black for a second but it fails
        > and gives me the
        > ouput:
        >
        > /* I've only included select sections of the output
        > after going
        > through the /var/log file */
        >
        > (EE) R128(0): No valid modes found /* seen after it
        > was trying to load
        > anyof the screen resolution modes in the pool */
        >
        > (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable
        > configuration.
        >
        > Fatal server error:
        > no screens found

        You may just need to find a ModeLine (sorry if I got
        the keyword wrong, I haven't set one up for a while)
        that works with your screen.
      • p4c0st4
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 19, 2004
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn Thorn
          <lordhaedn@y...> wrote:

          > --- p4c0st4 <p4c0st4@y...> wrote:
          >
          > > Dell Inspiron 8000 w/ an ATI Mobility M4
          > >
          > > I just finished emerging xfree and I ran
          > > /usr/X11R6/bin/X -configure
          > > and then ran /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 -xf86config
          > > /root/XF86config.new
          > > and the screen goes black for a second but it fails
          > > and gives me the
          > > ouput:
          > >
          > > /* I've only included select sections of the output
          > > after going
          > > through the /var/log file */
          > >
          > > (EE) R128(0): No valid modes found /* seen after it
          > > was trying to load
          > > anyof the screen resolution modes in the pool */
          > >
          > > (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable
          > > configuration.
          > >
          > > Fatal server error:
          > > no screens found
          >
          > You may just need to find a ModeLine (sorry if I got
          > the keyword wrong, I haven't set one up for a while)
          > that works with your screen.

          What is a ModeLine? Sorry I'm new to setting up X manually so I'm
          pretty clueless.

          -Pablo
        • Haedn Thorn
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 19, 2004
            --- p4c0st4 <p4c0st4@...> wrote:

            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn
            > Thorn
            > <lordhaedn@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- p4c0st4 <p4c0st4@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Dell Inspiron 8000 w/ an ATI Mobility M4
            > > >
            > > > I just finished emerging xfree and I ran
            > > > /usr/X11R6/bin/X -configure
            > > > and then ran /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 -xf86config
            > > > /root/XF86config.new
            > > > and the screen goes black for a second but it
            > fails
            > > > and gives me the
            > > > ouput:
            > > >
            > > > /* I've only included select sections of the
            > output
            > > > after going
            > > > through the /var/log file */
            > > >
            > > > (EE) R128(0): No valid modes found /* seen after
            > it
            > > > was trying to load
            > > > anyof the screen resolution modes in the pool */
            > > >
            > > > (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable
            > > > configuration.
            > > >
            > > > Fatal server error:
            > > > no screens found
            > >
            > > You may just need to find a ModeLine (sorry if I
            > got
            > > the keyword wrong, I haven't set one up for a
            > while)
            > > that works with your screen.
            >
            > What is a ModeLine? Sorry I'm new to setting up X
            > manually so I'm
            > pretty clueless.

            Goto http://xfree86.org/4.4.0/XF86Config.5.html ...
            "ModeLine" is explained down in the "Monitor" section
            .... It might not be very easy from a beginer
            standpoint. a Google for your particular setup might
            turn up useable ModeLines ...
          • p4c0st4
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 19, 2004
              <lordhaedn@y...> wrote:

              > --- p4c0st4 <p4c0st4@y...> wrote:
              >
              > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn
              > > Thorn
              > > <lordhaedn@y...> wrote:

              > > fails

              > > output

              > > it

              > > > You may just need to find a ModeLine (sorry if I
              > > got
              > > > the keyword wrong, I haven't set one up for a
              > > while)
              > > > that works with your screen.
              > >
              > > What is a ModeLine? Sorry I'm new to setting up X
              > > manually so I'm
              > > pretty clueless.
              >
              > Goto http://xfree86.org/4.4.0/XF86Config.5.html ...
              > "ModeLine" is explained down in the "Monitor" section
              > .... It might not be very easy from a beginer
              > standpoint. a Google for your particular setup might
              > turn up useable ModeLines ...

              Yea I tryed googling looking for an appropiate config file, but almost
              all the config files I've found are for the NVidia G2 video card while
              my model comes with the ATI Mobility M4. If anyone has one they know
              works please paste a link to it. I took a look at the XF86
              configuration manual, and while I generally understand what they are
              talking about actually getting it working so far has not yielded any
              results. But I appreciate all the help =)

              -Pablo
            • Alexandre Tessier
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 19, 2004
                Which distribution are you using?
                Before I have used a Latitude C800 (quite similar to I8k) running
                Mandrake. I think the last version I have installed was Mdk8.2 or 9.0.
                The XF86Config-4 is here:
                http://www.univ-orleans.fr/lifo/Members/tessier/C800/XF86Config-4
                I don't remember if it is my last XF86Config-4! But you can use it to start.
                The resolution I used was 1400x1050. I have never tried other resolution
                (except maybe 1024x768 for projectors).
                I remember that a version of the r128 driver had some issues but I don't
                remember the details.
                With a very old distributions you have to give the modeline for
                1400x1050. You will find the parameters in the archive of this list
                (maybe http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/message/3078 ).
                I think there is also something in the FAQ about it:
                http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq
                The HorizSync and VertRefresh are also important.

                Alex.

                p4c0st4 wrote:
                > Dell Inspiron 8000 w/ an ATI Mobility M4
                >
                > I just finished emerging xfree and I ran /usr/X11R6/bin/X -configure
                > and then ran /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86config.new
                > and the screen goes black for a second but it fails and gives me the
                > ouput:
                >
                > /* I've only included select sections of the output after going
                > through the /var/log file */
                >
                > (EE) R128(0): No valid modes found /* seen after it was trying to load
                > anyof the screen resolution modes in the pool */
                >
                > (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
                >
                > Fatal server error:
                > no screens found
                >
                > /*****************EOF**************************************/
                > If need be I can allways include the entire /var/log if someone feels
                > they need that to diagnose the problem but something tells me its
                > simpler then that. If any more information is needed please
                > let just let me know.
                >
                > Thanks in advance,
                > Pablo

              • John Vorstermans
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 19, 2004
                  Here is one I used to use with XFree86 on my Inspiron 8000

                  Switched to Xorg. f you have any trouble yell.

                  John
                • ken
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 20, 2004
                    Haedn Thorn wrote:

                    >--- p4c0st4 <p4c0st4@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >>--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn
                    >>Thorn
                    >><lordhaedn@y...> wrote:

                    >>fails

                    >>output

                    >>it

                    >>>You may just need to find a ModeLine (sorry if I
                    >>>

                    >>got
                    >>

                    >>>the keyword wrong, I haven't set one up for a
                    >>>

                    >>while)
                    >>

                    >>>that works with your screen.
                    >>>

                    >>What is a ModeLine? Sorry I'm new to setting up X
                    >>manually so I'm
                    >>pretty clueless.
                    >>

                    >Goto http://xfree86.org/4.4.0/XF86Config.5.html ...
                    >"ModeLine" is explained down in the "Monitor" section
                    >.... It might not be very easy from a beginer
                    >standpoint. a Google for your particular setup might
                    >turn up useable ModeLines ...

                    There's been some changes in the config files for X over the years and
                    there's differences these days depending upon your distibution. So I
                    wouldn't just go out and use somebody else's XF86Config* file. It might
                    not match the version of X you're using. It would be best to keep your
                    current XF86Config* file. In fact, before you do anything else, copy it
                    to XF86Config*.orig and then change the permissions on the *.orig file
                    to read only.

                    I've been saying "XF86Config*" (with an asterisk) because the name of
                    this file is changed slightly in some distributions. Do us (and
                    yourself) a favor and do "ls -l /etc/X11/XF86Config*" and send us the
                    output of that command.

                    About the "modeline".... It's called that because, in days past,
                    "modeline" used to be a keyword used in XF86Config. In newer versions
                    of this config file, it's not there anymore... the keywords are
                    different. This is one reason why you shouldn't try to use somebody
                    else's XF86Config file. Yeah, they might have the same laptop, but they
                    could be running a different version of X.

                    The modeline is a list (but perhaps containing only one item) of
                    resolutions your screen (or monitor) is capable of. Therefore it's a
                    description of your hardware. If you're going to edit in your own
                    modeline, you need to know the resolutions your screen can handle. This
                    information is best found in the tech specs for your laptop (though that
                    section has been getting really skimpy over the years). The next-best
                    bet is to run a program called 'modprobe'. Read the manpage on it
                    before running it though.

                    The 'modeline' in my XF86Config looks like this:

                    Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768"
                    "800x600" "640x480"

                    As you might guess, this is a series of screen resolutions my monitor is
                    capable of and which I want to use. There's more than one because I
                    might want to use one of the others. The first one is the default, but
                    I can cycle through these resolutions by doing Ctrl-Alt-[numkeypad-plus]
                    and Ctrl-Alt-[numkeypad-minus]. You have to have the NumLock toggled
                    on. To get things going, put the one most likely to work (like
                    "640x480") at the beginning-- where I have "1280x1024". Later, when you
                    get a few of them figured out, you can arrange them according to preference.

                    An important point to understand out of all of this is that the modeline
                    is a description of your screen/monitor hardware, so it's pretty much
                    independent of the particular video card you're using (except that the
                    video card-- more precisely, the chip on the video card-- has to be
                    capable of providing the specified resolution to the monitor, of course).

                    It's likely that there'll be some other items in your config file will
                    need to be tweaked.

                    hth,
                    ken
                  • Alexandre Tessier
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 20, 2004
                      ken wrote:
                      > The 'modeline' in my XF86Config looks like this:
                      >
                      > Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768"
                      > "800x600" "640x480"

                      This is not Modeline. It seems to be a Modes line of a Display section.
                      Modeline is an "abstract on one line" of a Mode of a Monitor section,
                      for example:
                      Modeline "1400x1050" 110 1400 1400 1648 1776 1050 1050 1053

                      Did you try some XF86Config from the Files of the group:

                      Alex.
                    • ken
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 21, 2004
                        Alexandre Tessier wrote:

                        >ken wrote:
                        >

                        >>The 'modeline' in my XF86Config looks like this:
                        >>
                        >> Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768"
                        >>"800x600" "640x480"
                        >>

                        >This is not Modeline. It seems to be a Modes line of a Display section.
                        >Modeline is an "abstract on one line" of a Mode of a Monitor section,
                        >for example:
                        >Modeline "1400x1050" 110 1400 1400 1648 1776 1050 1050 1053
                        >
                        >Did you try some XF86Config from the Files of the group:
                        >
                        >Alex.

                        It might not be a modline on your system, but it is a modeline on my
                        system (RH9).

                        As I said in my original post, the formatting of XF86Config has changed
                        somewhat over the years. (This might be part of the orignal poster's
                        problem.)

                        ken
                      • cze_tom
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 21, 2004
                          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:
                          > Alexandre Tessier wrote:
                          >
                          > >ken wrote:
                          > >

                          > >>The 'modeline' in my XF86Config looks like this:
                          > >>
                          > >> Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864"
                          "1024x768"
                          > >>"800x600" "640x480"
                          > >>

                          > >This is not Modeline. It seems to be a Modes line of a Display
                          section.
                          > >Modeline is an "abstract on one line" of a Mode of a Monitor
                          section,
                          > >for example:
                          > >Modeline "1400x1050" 110 1400 1400 1648 1776 1050 1050 1053
                          > >
                          > >Alex.
                          > >

                          > It might not be a modline on your system, but it is a modeline on
                          my
                          > system (RH9).
                          >
                          > As I said in my original post, the formatting of XF86Config has
                          changed
                          > somewhat over the years. (This might be part of the orignal
                          poster's
                          > problem.)
                          >
                          > ken

                          Alex is right, you are wrong.
                          I am completly new to setting of X server, but....

                          Modeline is part of Section "Device"
                          Modes are part of Section "Screen" and Subsection "Display"
                          Its are two different things.

                          Tom
                        • ken
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 30, 2004
                            cze_tom wrote:

                            >--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:
                            >

                            >>Alexandre Tessier wrote:

                            >"1024x768"

                            >>>This is not Modeline. It seems to be a Modes line of a Display
                            >>>

                            >section.
                            >

                            >>>Modeline is an "abstract on one line" of a Mode of a Monitor
                            >>>

                            >section,
                            >

                            >>>for example:
                            >>>Modeline "1400x1050" 110 1400 1400 1648 1776 1050 1050 1053
                            >>>
                            >>>Alex.
                            >>>

                            >>It might not be a modline on your system, but it is a modeline on
                            >>

                            >my
                            >

                            >>system (RH9).
                            >>
                            >>As I said in my original post, the formatting of XF86Config has
                            >>

                            >changed
                            >

                            >>somewhat over the years. (This might be part of the orignal
                            >>

                            >poster's
                            >

                            >>problem.)
                            >>
                            >>ken
                            >>

                            >Alex is right, you are wrong.
                            >I am completly new to setting of X server, but....
                            >
                            >Modeline is part of Section "Device"
                            >Modes are part of Section "Screen" and Subsection "Display"
                            >Its are two different things.
                            >
                            >Tom

                            Tom,

                            For someone who is, as you yourself say, "completely new to setting of X
                            server", you're rather certain of yourself.

                            First, in my post I specifically said that there are different formats
                            to the XF86Config* files. Unless you know all the various formats, how
                            can you say I'm wrong?

                            Second, have a look at
                            <http://www.linuxforum.com/redhat-reference/s1-x-server-configuration.html>.
                            It shows that for this particular XF86Config, it's not true-- as you
                            assert-- that 'Modeline is part of Section "Device"'-- according to this
                            webpage, it's part of the "Monitor" section.

                            In addition, read
                            <http://www.linuxforum.com/linux-xwindow/xfree86.html>. It says there,
                            'In versions prior to v4.x, you would also see many "Modeline"
                            statements that attempted to define the monitor's capabilities....
                            Explicit "Modeline" definitions are not required as of 4.x', confirming,
                            as I said before, that the formatting of XF86Config has changed over the
                            years.

                            Also if you check <http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/XF86Config.5.html>, you
                            can see in more detail what entries in the config file are for.
                            Further, if you compare this document with those for other versions of
                            X, you'll see that the format of XF86Config is different for different
                            versions of X. You might also find that in the latest version of X the
                            'ModeLine ... entry is a more compact version of the Mode entry.... In
                            most cases this isn't necessary because the built-in set of VESA
                            standard modes will be sufficient.' So it's not true, as you say, that
                            they are "two different things." The same information is available in
                            the XF86Config manpage. You should have this manpage already installed
                            on your system. What neither the manpage nor the cited document
                            explains is the difficulties that can arise if you duplicate the video
                            mode specifications in the older modeline format-- i.e., note that the
                            variables used in each method are largely the same. In short, if the
                            version of X permits it, forget about hand-editing or even using
                            modelines; unless you have some strange, non-VESA-compliant 'monitor',
                            you don't need it/them.

                            I started using Linux in 1992 and have been using it just about every
                            day of my life since then. Back in those early days it was necessary to
                            hand-edit modelines and I did this (successfully) several times. I even
                            wrote a program to do the calculations for this. In other words, I've
                            been back and forth through X servers many times. I'd much prefer to
                            help out here than to have to defend myself against a newbie who
                            obviously hasn't read even the primary documentation on the subject.
                            And I'm sure that others who might have less experience might also want
                            to help here, but would be discouraged from doing so by hotshots like
                            yourself who don't offer anything constructive and only want to crap on
                            people who do. For the sake of the list and the people who want to
                            help, be constructive. Just as important, read a couple of docs so you
                            can more quickly put your newbie days behind you.

                            hth,
                            ken
                          • Alexandre Tessier
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 30, 2004
                              ken wrote:
                              > I started using Linux in 1992 and have been using it just about every
                              > day of my life since then. Back in those early days it was necessary to
                              > hand-edit modelines and I did this (successfully) several times. I even
                              > wrote a program to do the calculations for this. In other words, I've
                              > been back and forth through X servers many times. I'd much prefer to
                              > help out here than to have to defend myself against a newbie who
                              > obviously hasn't read even the primary documentation on the subject.
                              > And I'm sure that others who might have less experience might also want
                              > to help here, but would be discouraged from doing so by hotshots like
                              > yourself who don't offer anything constructive and only want to crap on
                              > people who do. For the sake of the list and the people who want to
                              > help, be constructive. Just as important, read a couple of docs so you
                              > can more quickly put your newbie days behind you.

                              I started Linux in 1993 and I remember when it was necessary to
                              hand-edit modelines and how happy I was when after hours I can see X11
                              on my screen! My PC was like a Sun. I remember I also wrote with a
                              friend a program (using constraint logic programming) to compute the
                              timings, dotclock... according to the possibilities of the video card
                              and the screen (but it did not always work).

                              I said your Modes was not a Modeline because I thought that the Modes of
                              the Display section was just a reference to a Mode or Modeline of the
                              Monitor section. Maybe I'm wrong, I've not used it for several years.
                              Sorry. I agree with you for the rest.

                              Alex.

                              > hth,
                              > ken

                            • ken
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 4, 2004
                                Alexandre Tessier wrote:

                                >I started Linux in 1993 and I remember when it was necessary to
                                >hand-edit modelines and how happy I was when after hours I can see X11
                                >on my screen! My PC was like a Sun. I remember I also wrote with a
                                >friend a program (using constraint logic programming) to compute the
                                >timings, dotclock... according to the possibilities of the video card
                                >and the screen (but it did not always work).
                                >
                                >I said your Modes was not a Modeline because I thought that the Modes of
                                >the Display section was just a reference to a Mode or Modeline of the
                                >Monitor section. Maybe I'm wrong, I've not used it for several years.
                                >Sorry. I agree with you for the rest.
                                >
                                >Alex.

                                The point I was originally trying to make to the person who had the
                                problem was that, depending upon the version of X used, there may be no
                                need for a Modeline. As the documentation cited in my last post
                                affirms, newer versions of XF86Config don't need them if the 'monitor'
                                is VESA-compliant. You would, however, need a Modes line of the kind I
                                included in my original post. (If you disagree with this, take it up
                                with the people who wrote the documentation.)

                                Secondly, let me say again that (as I see it anyway) the primary purpose
                                of this list is to help people solve their problems getting Linux to run
                                on their Dell laptops. Reading the rationale (above) for why you
                                disagreed with me, I see you didn't understand the point I was making...
                                sorry for not making it clearer to you. In view of helping solve the
                                original poster's problem, however, there's little reason at this point
                                in our discussion to consider your comments anyway.

                                So if we could return to the original problem....

                                What version of X is being used?

                                Is the 'monitor' VESA-compliant?

                                Does the person with this problem still have the original XF86Config*
                                file(s)?