[linux-dell-laptops] APM s2d : HOWTO ?

  • cbueche@worldcom.ch
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27 5:08 AM
      Hi all,

      Dell CPt C400/128 Mb ram, win98 + RedHat 6.0, kernel 2.2.10 with APM
      compiled in. Disk layout :

      MBR: lilo partition type
      133 Mb original save_to_disk partition primary
      1.5 Gb win 98, shrinked with FIPS 2.0 primary
      4.4 Gb Linux RH 6 4 logicals (3 + swap)

      The problem :

      when I save to ram with <FN>-<suspend>, it works, and the resume works
      as well (better so).

      when I save to disk with <FN>-<a>, a resume (power button) bring the
      normal
      lilo, instead of booting from the S2D partition.

      If I defined a lilo.conf entry for /dev/hda2 (S2D part), I can select it
      and get the resume working.

      How should I configure this mess so it recognize when it was saved to
      disk
      and do the appropriate resume ? Works with Win98, but not with Linux.

      Could it be that I don't use the same partition type ?

      Any hint welcome.

      Charles
    • cbueche@worldcom.ch
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 29 12:06 AM
        I solved the problem with the help of Avery Pennarun (maintainer of
        apm).
        The trick is to leave the MBR alone and to install lilo in the root of
        my "/" partition.

        =25