2650 and Kernel 2.6.6+ ... the lid

  • AthlonRob
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2004
      Is anybody here using an i2650 with a kernel version of 2.6.6 or greater
      and NOT having problems when they close their lid?

      I've now established I'm not the only one, as per this:
      http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0405.1/1285.html

      ...I'm having the same problem with 2.6.8.1 right now. I had hoped it
      would go away on its own, but I see now it will not. :-(

      My problem is *identical* to the issues listed out in that thread above.
      Any thoughts?

      --
      Rob | If not safe,
      Jabber: athlonrob at axpr.net | one can never be free.
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 24, 2004
        Yes! I've seen this for a while, but I forgot about making a bug
        report (I've grown used to leaving the lid open). But there's hope:

        http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0405.1/1720.html

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, AthlonRob <athlonrob@a...>
        wrote:
        > Is anybody here using an i2650 with a kernel version of 2.6.6 or greater
        > and NOT having problems when they close their lid?
        >
        > I've now established I'm not the only one, as per this:
        > http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0405.1/1285.html
        >
        > ...I'm having the same problem with 2.6.8.1 right now. I had hoped it
        > would go away on its own, but I see now it will not. :-(
        >
        > My problem is *identical* to the issues listed out in that thread above.
        > Any thoughts?
        >
        > --
        > Rob | If not safe,
        > Jabber: athlonrob at axpr.net | one can never be free.
      • Rhett Kipps
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
          Gday Guys/Gals,

          Have found a solution to the 100% CPU usage with lid shut problem, thanks to
          Alexey Spiridonov. Try grabbing the latest relevant patch from the ACPI
          site (acpi.sf.net) and chucking "apci_osi=" in your kernel options in the
          boot loader. I am using 2.6.8.1 with the latest stable ACPI patch and no
          longer hit 100% cpu usage with the lid shut.

          I plan on describing this fix on my site
          (http://www.exiledmind.net/inspiron/) in the coming week.

          Let me know if it solves your problem,

          ~Rhett

          Rhett Kipps - www.exiledmind.net

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 11, 2004
            Cool! I've had a bumpy update to 2.6.9 + ACPI *and* the 6111 Nvidia
            Drivers, but now everything seems to be cool.

            Browsing the ACPI site and googling around, I have found 2650-specific
            stuff and some Nvidia patches that I'm itching to try... maybe I'll
            get some form of suspension!