Re: Turn backlight off for Inspiron 5150 with nvidia?

  • brad11reed
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2004
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "martinjreed" <martin@r...>
      wrote:

      > I would like to turn off the LCD panel backlight while using an
      > external monitor (Have found the laptop gets hot with backlight on
      > while lid shut, last model I had I solved this by turning off backlight)
      >
      > I am running an Inspiron 5150, Gentoo distro, vanilla 2.6.7 with acpi.
      > Nvidia binary driver 1.0-6111

      Sorry I don't have anything to suggest, but I would very much like to
      solve this too. I also have an Inspiron 5150, vanilla 2.6.7 with acpi,
      NVidia binary driver 1.0.6111 but istead of Gentoo I'm running
      Slackware -current. I'm running the A33 Bios if that matters.

      It seems short of powering off the whole system the backlight stays on.

      Brad
    • martinjreed
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2004
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "brad11reed"
        <bradreed1@g...> wrote:
        > Sorry I don't have anything to suggest, but I would very much like
        > solve this too. I also have an Inspiron 5150, vanilla 2.6.7 with
        acpi,

        Brad (and anyone interested), I think this may not be solvable with
        current driver. I have posted the NVIDIA linux forum with this as
        well but not had a useful reply yet.

        I will send a mail to this newsgroup if I find out how to do it....