Re: [linux-dell-laptops] I8200 and how do I remove the HardDrive?

  • Will Simpson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2004
      Wow, that looks like a nice drive. I added a second drive to my I8200
      but I ordered it from Dell and it uses the left-side front modular bay.
      60 gig total (20 original - 40 added). Unfortunately soon after I added
      the second drive, the battery charging circuit died.

      Will

      Daevid Vincent wrote:

      > This is a stupid question, but how do I remove the hard drive? Where
      > is it?
      > I thought it might be behind the IR port, so I unscrewed the single screw,
      > but can't figure out for the life of me how to get that panel off (without
      > breaking it of course). What's the trick here?
      >
      > Also, anyone know if this drive will fit:
      > http://www.isystor.com/to805416casu.html
      >
      > Do I need an adapter or anything from Dell?

    • Daevid Vincent
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2004
        i'm a retard. i didn't take the screw ALL THE WAY OUT. if you do, then the cover snaps downwards and you can pull the carrier out. duh. ;-)

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2004
          and, i found this page:

          which is the drive i currently have in there now (stock).

          so, dimensions seem to be the same:
          2.8 in x 3.9 in x 0.4 in

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2004
            okay. sorry for the deluge of emails, but not like this list is active ;-)

            for anyone that cares, i searched around and this place had it for a good price ($172):

            but most importantly, they had a telephone order line and i could talk to a real person.
            i'm so sick of these "yahoo" clone stores that are all virtual.
            i want to talk to a person dammit. i want to know that you are a real business and not just joe shmoe working out of his gramma's house and drop-shipping me something.

            even "new egg" who i've heard so much about, doesn't have a person to talk to.

            while i was on that page, i got the adapter and the firewire/usb2 enclosure, 3 year warranty and next day FedEx. all for like $250ish. now i'll upgrade my notebook over the long labor day weekend. woo hoo!!!

            </rant>

          • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2004
              Am Donnerstag, 2. September 2004 20:42 schrieb Daevid Vincent:

              > i'm a retard. i didn't take the screw ALL THE WAY OUT. if
              > you do, then the cover snaps downwards and you can pull the
              > carrier out. duh. ;-)

              As I changed my hard drive (the original was slow and noisy) I
              wondered if I would break anything by pulling on the
              downsnapped plastic thingy.

              Gruß & regards

              ce

              Jabber: HomoSapientz@...

              «Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen» (Helmut Schmidt)