Re: [linux-dell-laptops] MIC input

  • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2004
      > I have a Inspiron 8200 running Debian with the 2.6.7
      > kernel.

      [...]

      > Audacity or can you
      > suggest a different program that you have had success with?

      Audacity will work, at least using ALSA, but AFAIK Debian is
      still on OSS.

      When running ALSA, you should enable Mic capturing using
      alsamixer (or a GUI-Replacement).

      I know not all mixers allow to set the mic as capturing
      source. AFAIK kamix does, kmix not. You can also try qamix.

      Best regards

      ce
    • Paul Gratz
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2004
        If you are running w/ the alsa drivers, it should be there. You need to
        play with alsamixer and amixer to enable it (I figured this out once and
        have since forgotten how I did it).
        Paul

        On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 11:56, Will Simpson wrote:
        > I have a Inspiron 8200 running Debian with the 2.6.7 kernel. I want to
        > try my hand at audioblogging but I don't seem to have a mic input when I
        > run Audacity. I can here the audio in the headset but it is not being
        > recorded. Does anybody have advice on either how to add my mic input
        > (either built-in or plugged in) to Audacity or can you suggest a
        > different program that you have had success with?
        >

        > Will
        > Moscow, Idaho

      • Will Simpson
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2004
          Thanks for the tip. I'm running alsa sound and after looking at
          alsamixergui, I was able to activate the mic for recording. I thought I
          had already looked at that but must not have followed the right
          procedure. Working know. FYI kmix does allow me to switch on and off and
          control the volume of the mic.

          Also thanks to Paul Gratz for his help.

          Will
          Moscow, Idaho