Turn backlight off for Inspiron 5150 with nvidia?

  • martinjreed
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hi,

      I would like to turn off the LCD panel backlight while using an
      external monitor (Have found the laptop gets hot with backlight on
      while lid shut, last model I had I solved this by turning off backlight)

      I am running an Inspiron 5150, Gentoo distro, vanilla 2.6.7 with acpi.
      Nvidia binary driver 1.0-6111

      If I do:
      xset dpms force off

      then the display goes off but the backlight stays on. (This does not
      quite do what I want anyway as I want the panel off but external
      display on - but at least this shows that the backlight off feature is
      broken).

      I have seen various posts in other forums that talk about tweeking
      memory bits to achieve this but no real details. Has anyone managed to
      do this?

      Martin
    • brad11reed
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2004
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "martinjreed" <martin@r...>
        wrote:

        > I would like to turn off the LCD panel backlight while using an
        > external monitor (Have found the laptop gets hot with backlight on
        > while lid shut, last model I had I solved this by turning off backlight)
        >
        > I am running an Inspiron 5150, Gentoo distro, vanilla 2.6.7 with acpi.
        > Nvidia binary driver 1.0-6111

        Sorry I don't have anything to suggest, but I would very much like to
        solve this too. I also have an Inspiron 5150, vanilla 2.6.7 with acpi,
        NVidia binary driver 1.0.6111 but istead of Gentoo I'm running
        Slackware -current. I'm running the A33 Bios if that matters.

        It seems short of powering off the whole system the backlight stays on.

        Brad
      • martinjreed
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2004
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "brad11reed"
          <bradreed1@g...> wrote:
          > Sorry I don't have anything to suggest, but I would very much like
          > solve this too. I also have an Inspiron 5150, vanilla 2.6.7 with
          acpi,

          Brad (and anyone interested), I think this may not be solvable with
          current driver. I have posted the NVIDIA linux forum with this as
          well but not had a useful reply yet.

          I will send a mail to this newsgroup if I find out how to do it....