Switching between LCD and external monitor @ 1400x1050?

  • Erik Westra
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2001
      Hi guys,

      I've now managed to get my Dell Inspiron 8000 working beautifully with RH7 and
      X. There are a few quirks (eg, installing the ALSA sound drivers as suggested
      by Daniel Crawford on his web site killed my X-Windows, so I uninstalled them
      again), but the machine itself works brilliantly. Thanks to everyone for
      making the LInux-Dell-Laptops group such a wonderful resource!

      I was wondering if any of you have had experience using an external screen with
      your laptop? On my previous machine (a Compaq), I was able to put the machine
      to sleep, plug in an external monitor, and simply wake the machine up again and
      have the external screen work. I've had absolutely no joy, however, getting the
      Inspiron 8000 (running XFree86 4.0.1 as supplied on the RH7 CD) to work with an
      external screen. The LCD works fine at 1400x1050, but switching to the
      external screen while the machine is asleep merely causes the external screen
      to display garbage, and rebooting the machine while the external screen is
      plugged in results in XWindows not starting because it can't find a suitable
      monitor.

      Ideally, I'd like to be able to put the machine to sleep, plug in the external
      monitor, and have the monitor come up at 1400x1050 when the laptop is woken up
      again. Even just being able to reboot with the external screen would be great,
      as my neck gets rather sore looking down all day at the LCD -- I tend to use
      the LCD when I'm travelling, but use an external screen when I'm at home...

      Oh yes, I'm using the XF86Config-4 file from Daniel's web site, and a Compaq
      Presario MV500 screen.

      Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

      Thanks,

      - Erik.
    • dan@kulp.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 27, 2001
        The support for external monitors on the r128 driver in XFree is
        nowhere near complete or stable. Supposedly, if you checkout the
        latest source from cvs and recompile, you can get better support.
        However, I went a different way: I purchased the Xaccel server from
        xig.com. With a minor patch they sent me (to detect the M4 chipset),
        the 2D server works great. I see they now have a 3D driver for the
        C800 that may work. I don't do anything 3D so it didn't matter to me.

        Anyway, Xaccel supports the external monitor very well. By hitting
        CTRl-ALT-TAB, I can cycle through LCD, LCD + Montior, and Monitor
        only. Also, I managed to set it so that on Monitor only, it uses 80hz
        refresh instead of 60 which was giving me a headache.

        If you REALLY want to be different, it allows you to use both screens
        in an extended desktop fashion. 2800x1050 with LCD on the left and
        CRT on the right. I was a little too wierd for me so I turned it off.
        There is another mode called zoom where I think one screen is a
        zoomed in version of the other. I haven't even tried that one yet.

        Anyway, it isn't cheap, but for me, being able to run the external
        monitor at above 75hz was worth every penny. The best I coiuld do
        (when it worked) with XFree was 60hz which gave me a massive headache
        within an hour or two. When XFree86 4.0.3 comes out with better
        support for external monitors, I'll give it another try.

        One more note: after purchasing it, I found 3 bugs in it. In all 3
        cases, I had a patch within 8 hours that fixed the problem. For the
        i8000, you will probably want all three patches.:
        1) Patch for the ati driver to recognize the M4 (must have).
        2) Patch for the ps/2 driver. The default driver resets the ps/2 port
        when started. There is a bug in the 8000 bios that on the ps/2 reset,
        the eraser point mouse doesn't come back. Thus, it ends up being
        disabled. This patch disables the reset so both pointing devices are
        usable.
        3) Patch to the Xinput so my USB mouse will always send core events.
        There was an issue with Netscape 6 grabbing and disabling the USB
        mouse when it is running. If you don't use a USB mouse, don't worry
        about this one.

        Supposedly, all three are going to be rolled into an update. I see
        there were some updates on the 23rd. I don't know if they are in it.

        Enjoy!
        Dan Kulp

      • ewestra@wave.co.nz
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2001
          Hi Dan,

          > The support for external monitors on the r128 driver in XFree is
          > nowhere near complete or stable.

          Ahh, thanks. That wasn't exactly the answer I was hoping for, but oh
          well -- you get that sometimes...

          > Supposedly, if you checkout the
          > latest source from cvs and recompile, you can get better support.

          Has anyone else tried this and been able to get an external monitor
          working at a decent resolution and refresh rate? I'm snowed under
          with work at the moment, so I haven't really got time to experiment,
          but if anyone else has tried this and been successful, I might stay up
          late one night and try recompiling XFree86 from source...

          > However, I went a different way: I purchased the Xaccel server from
          > xig.com. With a minor patch they sent me (to detect the M4
          chipset),
          > the 2D server works great.

          How much does this cost? Unfortunately, our company is pretty
          fiercely open-source (all our development tools and systems are 100%
          OSS), so I doubt they'd be willing to pay for a commercial X-Server,
          especially if it's expensive. But you never know...

          I guess that's the price for having bleeding-edge video hardware...

          Anyway, thanks again for the comments. Most informative!

          - Erik.