Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Dell Inspirion 5150 - CPU throttling

  • Niko
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25, 2004

      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I've sent an email reporting an trouble with CPU speed (processor seems to be scaled at 400-500MHz).
      > > In fact, I think that I identified the problem:
      > > - cpu throttling is set at state T6 at boot
      > > - I can change it up to T7 but not downgrade it under T6
      > >
      > > So, has anyone encountered such troubles, or has any idea.
      > > Could it comes from ACPI kernel management, BIOS, hardware...
      > >
      > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > I have discovered that playing with what options are enabled in the
      > kernel has an influence on this. I remember having to disable some
      > throttling or cpufreq drivers in order to get frequency scaling to work
      > right (otherwise I would scale between low and very low frequencies on
      > my M60).

      Well, I've compiled a new kernel with those options, but it gives the same results.
      This is what I get at boot.

      cpufreq: CPU0 - ACPI performance management activated.
      cpufreq: *P0: 3066 MHz, 20000 mW, 250 uS
      cpufreq: P1: 3066 MHz, 20000 mW, 250 uS
      cpufreq: P2: 3066 MHz, 20000 mW, 250 uS
      cpufreq: P3: 3066 MHz, 20000 mW, 250 uS
      cpufreq: P4: 3066 MHz, 20000 mW, 250 uS
      cpufreq: P5: 1600 MHz, 15000 mW, 250 uS

      And the /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/throttling
      state count: 8
      active state: T6
      states:
      T0: 00%
      T1: 12%
      T2: 25%
      T3: 37%
      T4: 50%
      T5: 62%
      *T6: 75%
      T7: 87%

      The other weird thing is that I had to compile a SMP kernel to get ACPI working.
      Without SMP, I've an interrupt conflict with the ide controller, solved by deactivating ACPI.