Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: OT: Radeon Mobility Driver

  • Gus Wiening
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 24, 2004
      --- S�ren_Madsen <Soeren@...> wrote:

      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Gus
      > Wiening
      > <web_raptor.geo@y...> wrote:
      > > This is a slightly off-topic question, as the
      > laptop
      > > in question is an IBM. Still, someone might be
      > able to
      > > help me. I have no experience with Radeon cards
      > and
      > > Linux.
      > >
      > > I have a Thinkpad A20m with a video card that
      > 'lspci'
      > > reports as "ATI Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x"
      > >
      > > I looked on ATI's website and they say to look to
      > the
      > > vendor for drivers. I looked at IBM's website and
      > they
      > > don't have any Linux drivers that I was able to
      > find
      > > for this card.
      > >
      > > Anyone with Linux/Radeon experience, help would be
      > > greatly appreciated. X is running fine, but is
      > using
      > > the generic VESA drivers.
      >
      > I used the VESA driver for a long time with my
      > Radeon 9k on I8200 and
      > it worked great. I have now switched to the ati
      > driver, and I can not
      > see any significant difference, except glxgears runs
      > much better, but
      > desktop performance is about the same.
      >
      > Kind Regards,
      > S�ren Madsen

      Oops, I lied, it is an ATI Rage, not a Radeon...

      Anyways, I don't have any experience with ATI, but I
      noticed that my laptop generally is more responsive in
      X if I have the actual nVidia driver running instead
      of the generic 'nv' one. Of course, I don't have any
      GL support with the nv driver, too.

      I can live with the VESA driver on the IBM. I'd like
      to see if actual drivers would help it out since it's
      a bit of an older machine (P3 700MHz... not bad, but
      not exactly a speed demon either).

      I'll see if I can google some Rage drivers.

      =====
      Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
      There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
      Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
      Though down that road we've been so many times...
      - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail