Re: Vesa driver for Dell Inspiron 2650 Mandrake 10.0 Alexandre Tessier

  • laurelglenn
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 11, 2004
      I was hoping you could help on this, as I saw in your XF86Config-4
      file that you have a 'monitor 0' and 'monitor 1'.
      Does this mean that you have your laptop running with an external
      monitor.
      I have Mandrake 10 on my Dell 2650 and have been trying to get it to
      use an external flat panel monitor with no success.
      Are you using an external monitor in this setup and if so, could you
      explain how.
      Also what is the advantages in the "Power Pack" as opposed to the
      download version, I am using the download version and like many other
      people have not been able to load the Nvidia drivers without problems.
      Thank you for your help.
      Glenn

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
      <Alexandre.Tessier@l...> wrote:
> [...]
      > > Load "fbdevhw"
      > > Load "glx"
      > > Load "record"
      > > Load "freetype"
      > > Load "type1"
      > > EndSection
      >
      > Section "Module"
      > Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
      > Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
      > Load "extmod"
      > Load "type1"
      > Load "freetype"
      > Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so"
      > EndSection
      >

      > > Section "InputDevice"
      > > Identifier "Keyboard0"
      > > Driver "keyboard"
      > > Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
      > > Option "Xkbmodel" "acpi"
      > > Option "XkbLayout" "us"
      > > EndSection
      >
      > Section "InputDevice"
      > Identifier "Keyboard1"
      > Driver "Keyboard"
      > Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
      > Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
      > Option "XkbOptions" ""
      > EndSection
      > # I have a French keyboard
      >

      > > Section "InputDevice"
      > > Identifier "Mouse1"
      > > Driver "mouse"
      > > Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
      > > Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
      > > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
      > > Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
      > > EndSection
      >
      > Section "InputDevice"
      > Identifier "Mouse1"
      > Driver "mouse"
      > Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
      > # Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
      > Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
      > # Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
      > Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
      > # Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
      > EndSection
      > # I have a logitech mouse with 7 buttons
      >

      > > Section "Monitor"
      > > Identifier "Monitor0"
      > > VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
      > > ModelName "Monitor Model"
      > > HorizSync 31.5-48.5
      > > VertRefresh 59.0-75.0
      > > Option "dpms"
      > >
      > > # -- 1400x1050 --
      > > # 1400x1050 @ 60Hz, 65.8 kHz hsync
      > > Modeline "1400x1050" 129 1400 1464 1656 1960
      > > 1050 1051 1054 1100 +HSync +VSync
      > >
      > > # 1400x1050 @ 70Hz, 76.8 kHz hsync
      > > Modeline "1400x1050" 151 1400 1464 1656 1960
      > > 1050 1051 1054 1100 +HSync +VSync
      > >
      > > # 1400x1050 @ 75Hz, 82.3 kHz hsync
      > > Modeline "1400x1050" 162 1400 1464 1656 1960
      > > 1050 1051 1054 1100 +HSync +VSync
      > >
      > > # 1400x1050 @ 85Hz, 93.2 kHz hsync
      > > Modeline "1400x1050" 184 1400 1464 1656 1960
      > > 1050 1051 1054 1100 +HSync +VSync
      > >
      > > EndSection
      >
      > Section "Monitor"
      > Identifier "monitor1"
      > VendorName "Dell"
      > ModelName "Dell 1600x1200 Laptop Display Panel"
      > HorizSync 31.5-90.0
      > VertRefresh 59.0-85.0
      >
      > # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
      > ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590
      595 630
      > # 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
      > ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578
      590 616
      > EndSection
      > # I have the 1600x1200 screen
      >

      > > Section "Device"
      > > Identifier "VESA Framebuffer"
      > > Driver "vesa"
      > > VendorName "NVIDIA"
      > > BoardName "NVIDIA"
      > > EndSection
      >
      > Section "Device"
      > Identifier "device1"
      > VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
      > BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"
      > Driver "nvidia"
      > Option "DPMS"
      > Option "IgnoreEDID" "1"
      > EndSection
      >

      > > Section "Screen"
      > > Identifier "Screen 0"
      > > Device "VESA Framebuffer"
      > > Monitor "Monitor0"
      > > DefaultDepth 24
      > >
      > > Subsection "Display"
      > > Depth 24
      > > Modes "1024x768" "1024x768"
      > > EndSubsection
      > > EndSection
      >
      > Section "Screen"
      > Identifier "screen1"
      > Device "device1"
      > Monitor "monitor1"
      > DefaultColorDepth 24
      >
      > Subsection "Display"
      > Depth 8
      > Virtual 1600 1200
      > EndSubsection
      >
      > Subsection "Display"
      > Depth 15
      > Virtual 1600 1200
      > EndSubsection
      >
      > Subsection "Display"
      > Depth 16
      > Virtual 1600 1200
      > EndSubsection
      >
      > Subsection "Display"
      > Depth 24
      > Virtual 1600 1200
      > EndSubsection
      > EndSection
      > # may be you should switch to 1024 768
      >
      > Section "ServerLayout"
      > Identifier "layout1"
      > InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
      > InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
      > Screen "screen1"
      > EndSection

    • Alexandre Tessier
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 11, 2004
        laurelglenn wrote:
        > I was hoping you could help on this, as I saw in your XF86Config-4
        > file that you have a 'monitor 0' and 'monitor 1'.
        > Does this mean that you have your laptop running with an external
        > monitor.
        > I have Mandrake 10 on my Dell 2650 and have been trying to get it to
        > use an external flat panel monitor with no success.
        > Are you using an external monitor in this setup and if so, could you
        > explain how.

        Yes, I have a Dell UltraSharp 2000FP and a 2001FP. I use them with the
        dock station C/Port. I also use projectors (Dell, hp, nec...) without
        dock station.

        If the external monitor does not work, I use the following options for
        the driver :

        Section "Device"
        Identifier "device1"
        VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"
        Driver "nvidia"
        Option "DPMS"
        Option "IgnoreEDID" "1"
        EndSection

        Next I read the monitor/projector doc, and I give the Horizontal Sync
        and the Vertical Refresh which correspond to the resolution I want to
        use, for example :

        Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "monitor2"
        VendorName "Plug'n Play"
        ModelName "Dell 2000FP (Analog)"
        HorizSync 31-80
        VertRefresh 56-76
        EndSection

        Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "monitor3"
        VendorName "Dell"
        ModelName "Dell 3200MP 1024x768"
        HorizSync 68-69
        VertRefresh 85
        EndSection

        Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "monitor6"
        VendorName "NEC"
        ModelName "unknown"
        HorizSync 15-100
        VertRefresh 50-120
        EndSection

        and I provide the resolution in the screen section :

        Section "Screen"
        Identifier "screen3"
        Device "device1"
        Monitor "monitor3"
        DefaultColorDepth 24

        Subsection "Display"
        Depth 8
        Virtual 1024 768
        EndSubsection

        Subsection "Display"
        Depth 15
        Virtual 1024 768
        EndSubsection

        Subsection "Display"
        Depth 16
        Virtual 1024 768
        EndSubsection

        Subsection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Virtual 1024 768
        EndSubsection
        EndSection

        Sometimes I have to reboot and play with the Fn+F8 key several times or
        to restart X (ctrl+alt+bkspc to kill X)...
        I you want more options, for example xinerama, you have to read the
        nvidia doc. I have been using it a long time ago, I do not remember the
        details of the driver option.

        > Also what is the advantages in the "Power Pack" as opposed to the
        > download version, I am using the download version and like many other
        > people have not been able to load the Nvidia drivers without problems.

        The download edition is 100% open source. The powerpack is the download
        edition plus some commercial applications: ATI and nvidia drivers,
        RealPlayer, macromedia flash player, vmware, J2SDK, J2RE... (You can
        also download these softwares, a lot of them are free.)
        Have a look to:
        http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/10/isv
        and the comparison chart between Mdk distros:
        http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/10/comparison
        The best distribution for a workstation is the PowerPack.
        All the products are on this page:
        http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/

        I think that if you use the download edition and install the Mandrake
        rpm of the nvidia driver, you will have the same as the PowerPack.
        When I look for nvidia rpm installed on my computer (rpm -q -a | grep -i
        nvidia) it founds:
        NVIDIA_GLX-5336-6mdk
        NVIDIA_kernel-2.6.3.7mdk-5336-6mdk
        NVIDIA_kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.6.3.7mdk-5336-6mdk
        (I use the i686 up 4Gb kernel because I have more than 1Gb of memory,
        the different kernels of the mdk (9.2) distro are
        http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/MdkKernel92)

        Note that the mdk 10.1 will be available in few months.

        Hope this help,

        Alex.
      • laurelglenn
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11, 2004
          Thank you very much.
          I will try and figure the config file out according to what you have
          wrote.
          Again Thank you.