Buying a new hard disk for my I8200

  • sudhakar@CS.Princeton.EDU
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2004
      Hi all,

      I currently have a 40GB hard disk. I was thinking that I should
      upgrade to a 60GB or 80 GB harddisk. Could you suggest me some "tips"?
      :-)

      1) What make of hard disk should I go for? IBM? Seagate? I currently have
      an IBM travelstar HDD.

      3) Is it important to take warranty on HDD?

      4) SHould I buy a Dell.com or any generic website.

      5) IF i do not buy it at dell.com, does that mean my computer's complete
      care warranty may have other problems?

      6) What is a good price to pay?

      Dell quotes a price of 449$ for a 60 GB 4200 RPM disk. other websites that
      sell all disks seem to be selling for a cheaper price. lile
      www.drivesolutions.com can some one suggest how i should go?

      otherwise, what is a laptop caddy?

      http://www.drivesolutions.com/cgi-bin/shop/bstore.cgi?command=features&kind=caddy&pos=0&type=Caddies

      A friend bought an IBM laptop that detects a laptop is falling and shuts
      the HDD off. Hopw does that work? Is it something that is built into a
      harddisk? Or some addon hardware in the laptop?

      Sudhakar.

      Sudhakar Govindavajhala Department of Computer Science
      Graduate Student, Princeton University
      Ph : (c) +1 609 273 8407 (o) +1 609 258 1798
      http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~sudhakar
    • linux_jjs
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2004
        I replaced my 10GB in my Latitude C600 with an 80GB Fujitsu from
        Newegg. No problems with that. I didn't take a warantee, and I ended
        up spending considerably less than Dell, who would (at the time) only
        sell me up to 60GB.

        The old drive I put in a $39.95 external (USB2.0) case from CompUSA.
        No problems, no special software. I even went and bought a full-size
        one to put the spare disk (200GB) from my desktop to hook up. Again,
        no problems, instantly recognized as usb storage.

        The only issue I have is the changing of the sd? letter depending on
        order plugged in. I'm looking at doing some kind of mount by label or
        use of udev (I run a custom compiled 2.6.7 kernel), any suggestions
        on how to do that are appreciated.

        jeff