Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: miniPCI WiFi recommendations

  • Brian Kurle
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
      I can't say for MiniPCI (I'm still patiently waiting/watching Intel's
      progress for my 2200 BG MiniPCI card), but Madwifi does cover my D-Link
      DWL-G650 (Atheros) PCCard quite nicely in full open source. I do get
      54/108 (super G) support.

    • adam@thebowery.co.uk
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2004
        On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:05:06PM -0500, Howard Coles Jr. wrote:

        > I'm not sure about the 11g, but Orinoco based cards work well. (Dell should
        > be able to tell you which of theirs is based on it) The miniPCI card I use
        > in my Dell Lat. C640 is one such animal.

        I have to disagree on that one, there is a bug in the Orinoco drivers which
        means you can't connect to a network using shared key WEP, so I just had to
        buy a prism 2 based pcmcia card to replace the Orinoco in my gfs laptop. (of
        course if you don't want to connect to a shared key WEP network then this
        wouldn't be a problem) If you only wanted 802.11b then the intel mini-pci as
        supplied with many dell laptops work well enough with the GPL drivers from
        ipw2100.sourceforge.net

        Adam
        --
        jabberid = quinophex@...
        AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2004
          Anyone know of a Blue802 minipci that will work with the Inspirons?
          I've read that they're not widely avilable because cheap adaptors
          abound, but i'd really like to have it all licked away in the case
          instead of carrying around USB adaptors.

          --Ryan