RE: [linux-dell-laptops] miniPCI WiFi recommendations

  • Daevid Vincent
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
      atheros. a/b/g
      madwifi drivers.
      solid choice.

      From: Gregory Gulik [mailto:greg@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 2:28 PM
      To: linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [linux-dell-laptops] miniPCI WiFi recommendations

      You have you tried the ndiswrapper????
      I use it with Linksys 802.11g card with Fedora Core 2 and it was pretty
      easy to set up and so far no problems.

      http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

      --
      Greg Gulik                                 http://www.gulik.org/greg/
      greg @ gulik.org

    • adam@thebowery.co.uk
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
        On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 01:47:32PM -0500, Gregory Gulik wrote:

        > The SMC 3635W is 802.11b, there are plenty of chipsets for 11Mbits that
        > have open source drivers. I myself used Orinoco cards before going to
        > 54Mbits.
        >
        > I am not aware of any 54Mbit (802.11a or g) that have open source
        > drivers. If that is not the case then please let me know.

        http://www.prism54.org/

        but they do need a non-free binary firmware that is uploaded to the card (I
        think, I havn't actually used one)

        Adam
        --
        jabberid = quinophex@...
        AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
          Has anyone here tried driverloader from linuxant?
          I've used it twice now and it works great.

          On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 23:10:05 +0100, adam@...
          <adam@...> wrote:
          > On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 01:47:32PM -0500, Gregory Gulik wrote:
          > >
          > > The SMC 3635W is 802.11b, there are plenty of chipsets for 11Mbits that
          > > have open source drivers. I myself used Orinoco cards before going to
          > > 54Mbits.
          > >
          > > I am not aware of any 54Mbit (802.11a or g) that have open source
          > > drivers. If that is not the case then please let me know.
          >
          > http://www.prism54.org/
          >
          > but they do need a non-free binary firmware that is uploaded to the card (I
          > think, I havn't actually used one)
          >
          > Adam
          > --
          > jabberid = quinophex@...
          > AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem

          Regards,

          Bryan Simmons
          -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
          What is this "sleep" of which you speak?
          -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        • Howard Coles Jr.
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
            I'm not sure about the 11g, but Orinoco based cards work well. (Dell should
            be able to tell you which of theirs is based on it) The miniPCI card I use
            in my Dell Lat. C640 is one such animal.

            On Tuesday 03 August 2004 03:47 pm, Jeff Smith wrote:
            > I've asked before, but does anyone here have suggestions
            > for an 802.11g wifi miniPCI card that works in a dell C600
            > Latitude?  The Dell one they show for accessories is based
            > on the broadcom chipset (no drivers).
            >
            > I know the atheros (madwifi) and prism54 drivers are
            > available, so those seem good choices, but anyone have
            > experience with a card (or  one to sell).
            >
            > jeff

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            See Ya'
            Howard Coles Jr.
            John 3:16!

            "The act of faith is the obedience of the understanding
            to God revealing, and the product of that is the obedience
            of the will to God commanding."
            Matthew Henry, on Romans 1:5
          • Brian Kurle
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
              I can't say for MiniPCI (I'm still patiently waiting/watching Intel's
              progress for my 2200 BG MiniPCI card), but Madwifi does cover my D-Link
              DWL-G650 (Atheros) PCCard quite nicely in full open source. I do get
              54/108 (super G) support.

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5, 2004
                On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:05:06PM -0500, Howard Coles Jr. wrote:

                > I'm not sure about the 11g, but Orinoco based cards work well. (Dell should
                > be able to tell you which of theirs is based on it) The miniPCI card I use
                > in my Dell Lat. C640 is one such animal.

                I have to disagree on that one, there is a bug in the Orinoco drivers which
                means you can't connect to a network using shared key WEP, so I just had to
                buy a prism 2 based pcmcia card to replace the Orinoco in my gfs laptop. (of
                course if you don't want to connect to a shared key WEP network then this
                wouldn't be a problem) If you only wanted 802.11b then the intel mini-pci as
                supplied with many dell laptops work well enough with the GPL drivers from
                ipw2100.sourceforge.net

                Adam
                --
                jabberid = quinophex@...
                AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem
              • Ryan
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 5, 2004
                  Anyone know of a Blue802 minipci that will work with the Inspirons?
                  I've read that they're not widely avilable because cheap adaptors
                  abound, but i'd really like to have it all licked away in the case
                  instead of carrying around USB adaptors.

                  --Ryan