Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: miniPCI WiFi recommendations

  • Ivan Fernandez Pelaez
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
      On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 04:31:44AM -0000, linux_jjs wrote:
      > No, I hadn't. I've tried to support companies that release specs.
      > However, I may have to break down and try this, if no one can
      > recommend a good miniPCI card.

      Same here. It's a bit of a pain, but I finally decided to go with a
      PCMCIA card for wireless rather than going the ndiswrapper way. I've
      got an SMC 2635W. Compusa.com is listing it at $30, so it's not that
      much more money than the driver emulation. If you decide to get one,
      though, check out the revision number, the SMC2635W v.1 had a different
      chipset from the v.3 that I have, so different drivers. Mine runs on
      the atmel dirvers incoporated in recent kernels.

      Good luck

      --
      Ivan Fernández
      ivan.fernandez@...
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
        The SMC 3635W is 802.11b, there are plenty of chipsets for 11Mbits that
        have open source drivers. I myself used Orinoco cards before going to
        54Mbits.

        I am not aware of any 54Mbit (802.11a or g) that have open source
        drivers. If that is not the case then please let me know.

        Ivan Fernandez Pelaez wrote:
        > Same here. It's a bit of a pain, but I finally decided to go with a
        > PCMCIA card for wireless rather than going the ndiswrapper way. I've
        > got an SMC 2635W. Compusa.com is listing it at $30, so it's not that
        > much more money than the driver emulation. If you decide to get one,
        > though, check out the revision number, the SMC2635W v.1 had a different
        > chipset from the v.3 that I have, so different drivers. Mine runs on
        > the atmel dirvers incoporated in recent kernels.

        --
        Greg Gulik http://www.gulik.org/greg/
        greg @ gulik.org
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
          atheros. a/b/g
          madwifi drivers.
          solid choice.

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
            On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 01:47:32PM -0500, Gregory Gulik wrote:

            > The SMC 3635W is 802.11b, there are plenty of chipsets for 11Mbits that
            > have open source drivers. I myself used Orinoco cards before going to
            > 54Mbits.
            >
            > I am not aware of any 54Mbit (802.11a or g) that have open source
            > drivers. If that is not the case then please let me know.

            http://www.prism54.org/

            but they do need a non-free binary firmware that is uploaded to the card (I
            think, I havn't actually used one)

            Adam
            --
            jabberid = quinophex@...
            AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
              Has anyone here tried driverloader from linuxant?
              I've used it twice now and it works great.

              On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 23:10:05 +0100, adam@...
              <adam@...> wrote:
              > On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 01:47:32PM -0500, Gregory Gulik wrote:
              > >
              > > The SMC 3635W is 802.11b, there are plenty of chipsets for 11Mbits that
              > > have open source drivers. I myself used Orinoco cards before going to
              > > 54Mbits.
              > >
              > > I am not aware of any 54Mbit (802.11a or g) that have open source
              > > drivers. If that is not the case then please let me know.
              >
              > http://www.prism54.org/
              >
              > but they do need a non-free binary firmware that is uploaded to the card (I
              > think, I havn't actually used one)
              >
              > Adam
              > --
              > jabberid = quinophex@...
              > AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem

              Regards,

              Bryan Simmons
              -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
              What is this "sleep" of which you speak?
              -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
            • Howard Coles Jr.
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
                I'm not sure about the 11g, but Orinoco based cards work well. (Dell should
                be able to tell you which of theirs is based on it) The miniPCI card I use
                in my Dell Lat. C640 is one such animal.

                On Tuesday 03 August 2004 03:47 pm, Jeff Smith wrote:
                > I've asked before, but does anyone here have suggestions
                > for an 802.11g wifi miniPCI card that works in a dell C600
                > Latitude?  The Dell one they show for accessories is based
                > on the broadcom chipset (no drivers).
                >
                > I know the atheros (madwifi) and prism54 drivers are
                > available, so those seem good choices, but anyone have
                > experience with a card (or  one to sell).
                >
                > jeff

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                See Ya'
                Howard Coles Jr.
                John 3:16!

                "The act of faith is the obedience of the understanding
                to God revealing, and the product of that is the obedience
                of the will to God commanding."
                Matthew Henry, on Romans 1:5
              • Brian Kurle
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
                  I can't say for MiniPCI (I'm still patiently waiting/watching Intel's
                  progress for my 2200 BG MiniPCI card), but Madwifi does cover my D-Link
                  DWL-G650 (Atheros) PCCard quite nicely in full open source. I do get
                  54/108 (super G) support.

                • adam@thebowery.co.uk
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 5, 2004
                    On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:05:06PM -0500, Howard Coles Jr. wrote:

                    > I'm not sure about the 11g, but Orinoco based cards work well. (Dell should
                    > be able to tell you which of theirs is based on it) The miniPCI card I use
                    > in my Dell Lat. C640 is one such animal.

                    I have to disagree on that one, there is a bug in the Orinoco drivers which
                    means you can't connect to a network using shared key WEP, so I just had to
                    buy a prism 2 based pcmcia card to replace the Orinoco in my gfs laptop. (of
                    course if you don't want to connect to a shared key WEP network then this
                    wouldn't be a problem) If you only wanted 802.11b then the intel mini-pci as
                    supplied with many dell laptops work well enough with the GPL drivers from
                    ipw2100.sourceforge.net

                    Adam
                    --
                    jabberid = quinophex@...
                    AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem
                  • Ryan
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 5, 2004
                      Anyone know of a Blue802 minipci that will work with the Inspirons?
                      I've read that they're not widely avilable because cheap adaptors
                      abound, but i'd really like to have it all licked away in the case
                      instead of carrying around USB adaptors.

                      --Ryan