Re: [linux-dell-laptops] miniPCI WiFi recommendations

  • Gregory Gulik
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
      You have you tried the ndiswrapper????
      I use it with Linksys 802.11g card with Fedora Core 2 and it was pretty
      easy to set up and so far no problems.

      http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

      --
      Greg Gulik http://www.gulik.org/greg/
      greg @ gulik.org
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
        No, I hadn't. I've tried to support companies that release specs.
        However, I may have to break down and try this, if no one can
        recommend a good miniPCI card.

        However, my current PC Card 802.11g is atheros, would be kind of nice
        to keep the drivers. I'm looking to replace it so I can keep the
        network and add an adaptec DuoConnect card (works great with the
        laptop, once I compiled the USB 2.0 and 1394 drivers).

        jjs

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Gulik <greg@g...>

        //www.gulik.org/greg/
        > greg @ gulik.org
      • Ivan Fernandez Pelaez
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
          On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 04:31:44AM -0000, linux_jjs wrote:
          > No, I hadn't. I've tried to support companies that release specs.
          > However, I may have to break down and try this, if no one can
          > recommend a good miniPCI card.

          Same here. It's a bit of a pain, but I finally decided to go with a
          PCMCIA card for wireless rather than going the ndiswrapper way. I've
          got an SMC 2635W. Compusa.com is listing it at $30, so it's not that
          much more money than the driver emulation. If you decide to get one,
          though, check out the revision number, the SMC2635W v.1 had a different
          chipset from the v.3 that I have, so different drivers. Mine runs on
          the atmel dirvers incoporated in recent kernels.

          Good luck

          --
          Ivan Fernández
          ivan.fernandez@...
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
            The SMC 3635W is 802.11b, there are plenty of chipsets for 11Mbits that
            have open source drivers. I myself used Orinoco cards before going to
            54Mbits.

            I am not aware of any 54Mbit (802.11a or g) that have open source
            drivers. If that is not the case then please let me know.

            Ivan Fernandez Pelaez wrote:
            > Same here. It's a bit of a pain, but I finally decided to go with a
            > PCMCIA card for wireless rather than going the ndiswrapper way. I've
            > got an SMC 2635W. Compusa.com is listing it at $30, so it's not that
            > much more money than the driver emulation. If you decide to get one,
            > though, check out the revision number, the SMC2635W v.1 had a different
            > chipset from the v.3 that I have, so different drivers. Mine runs on
            > the atmel dirvers incoporated in recent kernels.

            --
            Greg Gulik http://www.gulik.org/greg/
            greg @ gulik.org
          • Daevid Vincent
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
              atheros. a/b/g
              madwifi drivers.
              solid choice.

            • adam@thebowery.co.uk
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
                On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 01:47:32PM -0500, Gregory Gulik wrote:

                > The SMC 3635W is 802.11b, there are plenty of chipsets for 11Mbits that
                > have open source drivers. I myself used Orinoco cards before going to
                > 54Mbits.
                >
                > I am not aware of any 54Mbit (802.11a or g) that have open source
                > drivers. If that is not the case then please let me know.

                http://www.prism54.org/

                but they do need a non-free binary firmware that is uploaded to the card (I
                think, I havn't actually used one)

                Adam
                --
                jabberid = quinophex@...
                AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
                  Has anyone here tried driverloader from linuxant?
                  I've used it twice now and it works great.

                  On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 23:10:05 +0100, adam@...
                  <adam@...> wrote:
                  > On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 01:47:32PM -0500, Gregory Gulik wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The SMC 3635W is 802.11b, there are plenty of chipsets for 11Mbits that
                  > > have open source drivers. I myself used Orinoco cards before going to
                  > > 54Mbits.
                  > >
                  > > I am not aware of any 54Mbit (802.11a or g) that have open source
                  > > drivers. If that is not the case then please let me know.
                  >
                  > http://www.prism54.org/
                  >
                  > but they do need a non-free binary firmware that is uploaded to the card (I
                  > think, I havn't actually used one)
                  >
                  > Adam
                  > --
                  > jabberid = quinophex@...
                  > AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem

                  Regards,

                  Bryan Simmons
                  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                  What is this "sleep" of which you speak?
                  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                • Howard Coles Jr.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
                    I'm not sure about the 11g, but Orinoco based cards work well. (Dell should
                    be able to tell you which of theirs is based on it) The miniPCI card I use
                    in my Dell Lat. C640 is one such animal.

                    On Tuesday 03 August 2004 03:47 pm, Jeff Smith wrote:
                    > I've asked before, but does anyone here have suggestions
                    > for an 802.11g wifi miniPCI card that works in a dell C600
                    > Latitude?  The Dell one they show for accessories is based
                    > on the broadcom chipset (no drivers).
                    >
                    > I know the atheros (madwifi) and prism54 drivers are
                    > available, so those seem good choices, but anyone have
                    > experience with a card (or  one to sell).
                    >
                    > jeff

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    See Ya'
                    Howard Coles Jr.
                    John 3:16!

                    "The act of faith is the obedience of the understanding
                    to God revealing, and the product of that is the obedience
                    of the will to God commanding."
                    Matthew Henry, on Romans 1:5
                  • Brian Kurle
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
                      I can't say for MiniPCI (I'm still patiently waiting/watching Intel's
                      progress for my 2200 BG MiniPCI card), but Madwifi does cover my D-Link
                      DWL-G650 (Atheros) PCCard quite nicely in full open source. I do get
                      54/108 (super G) support.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 5, 2004
                        On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:05:06PM -0500, Howard Coles Jr. wrote:

                        > I'm not sure about the 11g, but Orinoco based cards work well. (Dell should
                        > be able to tell you which of theirs is based on it) The miniPCI card I use
                        > in my Dell Lat. C640 is one such animal.

                        I have to disagree on that one, there is a bug in the Orinoco drivers which
                        means you can't connect to a network using shared key WEP, so I just had to
                        buy a prism 2 based pcmcia card to replace the Orinoco in my gfs laptop. (of
                        course if you don't want to connect to a shared key WEP network then this
                        wouldn't be a problem) If you only wanted 802.11b then the intel mini-pci as
                        supplied with many dell laptops work well enough with the GPL drivers from
                        ipw2100.sourceforge.net

                        Adam
                        --
                        jabberid = quinophex@...
                        AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem
                      • Ryan
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 5, 2004
                          Anyone know of a Blue802 minipci that will work with the Inspirons?
                          I've read that they're not widely avilable because cheap adaptors
                          abound, but i'd really like to have it all licked away in the case
                          instead of carrying around USB adaptors.

                          --Ryan