miniPCI WiFi recommendations

  • Jeff Smith
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
      I've asked before, but does anyone here have suggestions
      for an 802.11g wifi miniPCI card that works in a dell C600
      Latitude? The Dell one they show for accessories is based
      on the broadcom chipset (no drivers).

      I know the atheros (madwifi) and prism54 drivers are
      available, so those seem good choices, but anyone have
      experience with a card (or one to sell).

      jeff
    • Gregory Gulik
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
        You have you tried the ndiswrapper????
        I use it with Linksys 802.11g card with Fedora Core 2 and it was pretty
        easy to set up and so far no problems.

        http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

        --
        Greg Gulik http://www.gulik.org/greg/
        greg @ gulik.org
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3, 2004
          No, I hadn't. I've tried to support companies that release specs.
          However, I may have to break down and try this, if no one can
          recommend a good miniPCI card.

          However, my current PC Card 802.11g is atheros, would be kind of nice
          to keep the drivers. I'm looking to replace it so I can keep the
          network and add an adaptec DuoConnect card (works great with the
          laptop, once I compiled the USB 2.0 and 1394 drivers).

          jjs

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Gulik <greg@g...>

          //www.gulik.org/greg/
          > greg @ gulik.org
        • Ivan Fernandez Pelaez
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
            On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 04:31:44AM -0000, linux_jjs wrote:
            > No, I hadn't. I've tried to support companies that release specs.
            > However, I may have to break down and try this, if no one can
            > recommend a good miniPCI card.

            Same here. It's a bit of a pain, but I finally decided to go with a
            PCMCIA card for wireless rather than going the ndiswrapper way. I've
            got an SMC 2635W. Compusa.com is listing it at $30, so it's not that
            much more money than the driver emulation. If you decide to get one,
            though, check out the revision number, the SMC2635W v.1 had a different
            chipset from the v.3 that I have, so different drivers. Mine runs on
            the atmel dirvers incoporated in recent kernels.

            Good luck

            --
            Ivan Fernández
            ivan.fernandez@...
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
              The SMC 3635W is 802.11b, there are plenty of chipsets for 11Mbits that
              have open source drivers. I myself used Orinoco cards before going to
              54Mbits.

              I am not aware of any 54Mbit (802.11a or g) that have open source
              drivers. If that is not the case then please let me know.

              Ivan Fernandez Pelaez wrote:
              > Same here. It's a bit of a pain, but I finally decided to go with a
              > PCMCIA card for wireless rather than going the ndiswrapper way. I've
              > got an SMC 2635W. Compusa.com is listing it at $30, so it's not that
              > much more money than the driver emulation. If you decide to get one,
              > though, check out the revision number, the SMC2635W v.1 had a different
              > chipset from the v.3 that I have, so different drivers. Mine runs on
              > the atmel dirvers incoporated in recent kernels.

              --
              Greg Gulik http://www.gulik.org/greg/
              greg @ gulik.org
            • Daevid Vincent
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
                atheros. a/b/g
                madwifi drivers.
                solid choice.

              • adam@thebowery.co.uk
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
                  On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 01:47:32PM -0500, Gregory Gulik wrote:

                  > The SMC 3635W is 802.11b, there are plenty of chipsets for 11Mbits that
                  > have open source drivers. I myself used Orinoco cards before going to
                  > 54Mbits.
                  >
                  > I am not aware of any 54Mbit (802.11a or g) that have open source
                  > drivers. If that is not the case then please let me know.

                  http://www.prism54.org/

                  but they do need a non-free binary firmware that is uploaded to the card (I
                  think, I havn't actually used one)

                  Adam
                  --
                  jabberid = quinophex@...
                  AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
                    Has anyone here tried driverloader from linuxant?
                    I've used it twice now and it works great.

                    On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 23:10:05 +0100, adam@...
                    <adam@...> wrote:
                    > On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 01:47:32PM -0500, Gregory Gulik wrote:
                    > >
                    > > The SMC 3635W is 802.11b, there are plenty of chipsets for 11Mbits that
                    > > have open source drivers. I myself used Orinoco cards before going to
                    > > 54Mbits.
                    > >
                    > > I am not aware of any 54Mbit (802.11a or g) that have open source
                    > > drivers. If that is not the case then please let me know.
                    >
                    > http://www.prism54.org/
                    >
                    > but they do need a non-free binary firmware that is uploaded to the card (I
                    > think, I havn't actually used one)
                    >
                    > Adam
                    > --
                    > jabberid = quinophex@...
                    > AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem

                    Regards,

                    Bryan Simmons
                    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                    What is this "sleep" of which you speak?
                    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                  • Howard Coles Jr.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
                      I'm not sure about the 11g, but Orinoco based cards work well. (Dell should
                      be able to tell you which of theirs is based on it) The miniPCI card I use
                      in my Dell Lat. C640 is one such animal.

                      On Tuesday 03 August 2004 03:47 pm, Jeff Smith wrote:
                      > I've asked before, but does anyone here have suggestions
                      > for an 802.11g wifi miniPCI card that works in a dell C600
                      > Latitude?  The Dell one they show for accessories is based
                      > on the broadcom chipset (no drivers).
                      >
                      > I know the atheros (madwifi) and prism54 drivers are
                      > available, so those seem good choices, but anyone have
                      > experience with a card (or  one to sell).
                      >
                      > jeff

                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      See Ya'
                      Howard Coles Jr.
                      John 3:16!

                      "The act of faith is the obedience of the understanding
                      to God revealing, and the product of that is the obedience
                      of the will to God commanding."
                      Matthew Henry, on Romans 1:5
                    • Brian Kurle
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 4, 2004
                        I can't say for MiniPCI (I'm still patiently waiting/watching Intel's
                        progress for my 2200 BG MiniPCI card), but Madwifi does cover my D-Link
                        DWL-G650 (Atheros) PCCard quite nicely in full open source. I do get
                        54/108 (super G) support.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 5, 2004
                          On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:05:06PM -0500, Howard Coles Jr. wrote:

                          > I'm not sure about the 11g, but Orinoco based cards work well. (Dell should
                          > be able to tell you which of theirs is based on it) The miniPCI card I use
                          > in my Dell Lat. C640 is one such animal.

                          I have to disagree on that one, there is a bug in the Orinoco drivers which
                          means you can't connect to a network using shared key WEP, so I just had to
                          buy a prism 2 based pcmcia card to replace the Orinoco in my gfs laptop. (of
                          course if you don't want to connect to a shared key WEP network then this
                          wouldn't be a problem) If you only wanted 802.11b then the intel mini-pci as
                          supplied with many dell laptops work well enough with the GPL drivers from
                          ipw2100.sourceforge.net

                          Adam
                          --
                          jabberid = quinophex@...
                          AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem
                        • Ryan
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 5, 2004
                            Anyone know of a Blue802 minipci that will work with the Inspirons?
                            I've read that they're not widely avilable because cheap adaptors
                            abound, but i'd really like to have it all licked away in the case
                            instead of carrying around USB adaptors.

                            --Ryan