Re: [linux-dell-laptops] linux just isn't worth the trouble

  • George H-S
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
      On 8/3/04 3:02 AM, "wiley hundley" <wileyhundley@...> wrote:

      > I have found out thur much hard work that Linux just isn't worth the
      > trouble. I have tried about every flavor out...
      > ... it is that 2% that makes it so hard
      > to set it up and use it.
      > ... I really wanted to get away from MS
      > but my computer has to work, and atleast with windows it will
      > restart. Untill linux gets the driver support it needs and figures
      > out away to install them without all the dependenies the avarge use
      > will never use it .

      I just want to echo some of your frustrations. I have experimented with
      Linux in many flavors for a number of years. Like you I can get some of it
      to work but the last little bit is the frustrating challenge for most folks
      that try it. I think the people that get it to run well enjoy the puzzling
      and programming aspect of it. However most of us just want our computers to
      work without lots of extra manipulation and that is not Linux. More then
      once I've read reviews and essays that say if you don't have a Linux guru to
      help you with the parts that need adjusting then you may not get it to work.
      Since the MS product will do that for so many folks guess who dominates the
      market. When MS needs adjusting the number of available quasi-gurus is
      large enough that most folks can get the help they need.

      Just my two cents worth.

      George
    • L.V.Gandhi
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
        As you have said most of the things work in linux.
        For modem it is the problem with dell selecting a vendor having closed
        source soft modem like bcm or wifi card. Even then there is a
        turnaround for many.

      • adam@thebowery.co.uk
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
          On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 10:02:04AM -0000, wiley hundley wrote:

          > my best for over two years now. I really wanted to get away from MS
          > but my computer has to work, and atleast with windows it will
          > restart. Untill linux gets the driver support it needs and figures
          > out away to install them without all the dependenies the avarge use
          > will never use it . You can't even get a modem to work in linux and
          > most of us are still stuck with dialup . I am glad it works for most
          > of you and i wish i was ome of you, but i am not

          Hehe,

          I wish I could say the same about windows, since getting my M60 the wireless
          card randomnly stops working in Windows needing a reboot to get it working
          again (as it does on my brothers d600), it took me about 4 hours to get the
          bluetooth working in windows vs. about 10 minutes for Linux. I now don't boot
          windows on the laptop anymore as I can't be bothered to find the time to get
          the hardware working :)

          Adam
          --
          jabberid = quinophex@...