linux just isn't worth the trouble

  • wiley hundley
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
      I have found out thur much hard work that Linux just isn't worth the
      trouble. I have tried about every flavor out. And while the insall
      on konppix and mandrake were fast and easy and about 98% of the
      hardware is detected and set up it is that 2% that makes it so hard
      to set it up and use it. I am using a dell ss250n laptop and with
      every distro it works fine till reboot time . It just goes to a
      blank screen and sits there and when I turn it odd with the power
      button and restart it goes through this forced hard drive check and
      when that is done the system will not boot again. I have given this
      my best for over two years now. I really wanted to get away from MS
      but my computer has to work, and atleast with windows it will
      restart. Untill linux gets the driver support it needs and figures
      out away to install them without all the dependenies the avarge use
      will never use it . You can't even get a modem to work in linux and
      most of us are still stuck with dialup . I am glad it works for most
      of you and i wish i was ome of you, but i am not
    • George H-S
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
        On 8/3/04 3:02 AM, "wiley hundley" <wileyhundley@...> wrote:

        > I have found out thur much hard work that Linux just isn't worth the
        > trouble. I have tried about every flavor out...
        > ... it is that 2% that makes it so hard
        > to set it up and use it.
        > ... I really wanted to get away from MS
        > but my computer has to work, and atleast with windows it will
        > restart. Untill linux gets the driver support it needs and figures
        > out away to install them without all the dependenies the avarge use
        > will never use it .

        I just want to echo some of your frustrations. I have experimented with
        Linux in many flavors for a number of years. Like you I can get some of it
        to work but the last little bit is the frustrating challenge for most folks
        that try it. I think the people that get it to run well enjoy the puzzling
        and programming aspect of it. However most of us just want our computers to
        work without lots of extra manipulation and that is not Linux. More then
        once I've read reviews and essays that say if you don't have a Linux guru to
        help you with the parts that need adjusting then you may not get it to work.
        Since the MS product will do that for so many folks guess who dominates the
        market. When MS needs adjusting the number of available quasi-gurus is
        large enough that most folks can get the help they need.

        Just my two cents worth.

        George
      • L.V.Gandhi
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
          As you have said most of the things work in linux.
          For modem it is the problem with dell selecting a vendor having closed
          source soft modem like bcm or wifi card. Even then there is a
          turnaround for many.

        • adam@thebowery.co.uk
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
            On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 10:02:04AM -0000, wiley hundley wrote:

            > my best for over two years now. I really wanted to get away from MS
            > but my computer has to work, and atleast with windows it will
            > restart. Untill linux gets the driver support it needs and figures
            > out away to install them without all the dependenies the avarge use
            > will never use it . You can't even get a modem to work in linux and
            > most of us are still stuck with dialup . I am glad it works for most
            > of you and i wish i was ome of you, but i am not

            Hehe,

            I wish I could say the same about windows, since getting my M60 the wireless
            card randomnly stops working in Windows needing a reboot to get it working
            again (as it does on my brothers d600), it took me about 4 hours to get the
            bluetooth working in windows vs. about 10 minutes for Linux. I now don't boot
            windows on the laptop anymore as I can't be bothered to find the time to get
            the hardware working :)

            Adam
            --
            jabberid = quinophex@...