Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Dell Inspiron 8200 fans is making a noise

  • Marc Chamberlin
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2004
      Well you got my curiosity up! I have a Insprion 8100, running SuSE 9.1,
      and sure enough if I press the Fn-Z keys, my fans immediately stop
      running also! I am quite surprised by this, an wonder if there is an
      equivalent way to immediately start the fans? Also, I wonder, is there a
      utility that will let me monitor my fans, speed, and CPU temp? Would be
      awfully nice to have, as I suspect my laptop constantly slows down much
      of the time, and I wonder if it is always overheated....

      Raju, I too have noted my fans seem to run independently of each other..
      sometimes one fan runs,and the other does not, sometimes one runs slower
      than the other, sometimes both run at full speed...

      Marc...

      Raju Kurunkad wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > My Inspiron 8200 fans are making some odd noise. I press "Fn-Z" to
      > reread the
      > temperature and it stops for some time.
      >
      > $ cat /proc/i8k
      > 1.0 A10 BXXXXXX 2 2 1980 8940 -1 0
      >
      > Looks like one fan is way slower than the other. Does it mean that the
      > fans are
      > dying? If so, where can I get a replacement and how do I replace them?
      > My warranty has expired.
      >
      > I would appreciate any other suggestions regarding this issue.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Raju

      > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
      > click here
      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129pu8708/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1708211820:HM/EXP=1091481653/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

    • Raju Kurunkad
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2004
        * Marc Chamberlin <marcc@...> [2004-08-02 19:21]:
        > Well you got my curiosity up! I have a Insprion 8100, running SuSE 9.1,
        > and sure enough if I press the Fn-Z keys, my fans immediately stop
        > running also! I am quite surprised by this, an wonder if there is an
        > equivalent way to immediately start the fans? Also, I wonder, is there a
        > utility that will let me monitor my fans, speed, and CPU temp? Would be

        On linux, if your kernel has support for the i8k SMM driver(most modern kernels have this support),
        you can use the i8k utilities from http://people.debian.org/~dz/i8k/ to moniter and control fans.
        If you have the SMM driver loaded you can do a "cat /proc/i8k" to check the CPU temperature and
        the fan speed(if they are running).

        Equivalent for windows(with a nice GUI) can be obtained from
        http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html

        > awfully nice to have, as I suspect my laptop constantly slows down much
        > of the time, and I wonder if it is always overheated....
        >
        > Raju, I too have noted my fans seem to run independently of each other..
        > sometimes one fan runs,and the other does not, sometimes one runs slower
        > than the other, sometimes both run at full speed...
        >
        > Marc...

        Anyway, in my case, the grinding noise stopped after I cleaned the fans throughly. now both fans run
        at about the same speed.

        Thanks,
        Raju
      • Raju Kurunkad
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2004
          * mchristoph.eckert@... <mchristoph.eckert@...> [2004-08-02 19:18]:

          > > My Inspiron 8200 fans are making some odd noise. I press
          > > "Fn-Z" to reread the temperature and it stops for some
          > > time.
          > >
          > > $ cat /proc/i8k
          > > 1.0 A10 BXXXXXX 2 2 1980 8940 -1 0
          > >
          > > Looks like one fan is way slower than the other. Does it
          > > mean that the fans are dying? If so, where can I get a
          > > replacement and how do I replace them? My warranty has
          > > expired.
          > >
          > > I would appreciate any other suggestions regarding this
          > > issue.
          >
          > * Try removing the dust from the fans using a spray duster
          > * Check if some screws on the bottom of your chassis are not
          > correct mounted
          >
          > Nothing special, but both I tried successfully as my fans got
          > noisy.

          Thanks for the advice. The fan noise stopped after I cleaned it using a can of
          compressed air(available at office depot).

          Raju