Dell Inspiron 8200 fans is making a noise

  • Raju Kurunkad
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004

      My Inspiron 8200 fans are making some odd noise. I press "Fn-Z" to reread the
      temperature and it stops for some time.

      $ cat /proc/i8k
      1.0 A10 BXXXXXX 2 2 1980 8940 -1 0

      Looks like one fan is way slower than the other. Does it mean that the fans are
      dying? If so, where can I get a replacement and how do I replace them? My warranty has expired.

      I would appreciate any other suggestions regarding this issue.

      Thanks,
      Raju
    • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
      • Marc Chamberlin
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2004
          Well you got my curiosity up! I have a Insprion 8100, running SuSE 9.1,
          and sure enough if I press the Fn-Z keys, my fans immediately stop
          running also! I am quite surprised by this, an wonder if there is an
          equivalent way to immediately start the fans? Also, I wonder, is there a
          utility that will let me monitor my fans, speed, and CPU temp? Would be
          awfully nice to have, as I suspect my laptop constantly slows down much
          of the time, and I wonder if it is always overheated....

          Raju, I too have noted my fans seem to run independently of each other..
          sometimes one fan runs,and the other does not, sometimes one runs slower
          than the other, sometimes both run at full speed...

          Marc...

          Raju Kurunkad wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > My Inspiron 8200 fans are making some odd noise. I press "Fn-Z" to
          > reread the
          > temperature and it stops for some time.
          >
          > $ cat /proc/i8k
          > 1.0 A10 BXXXXXX 2 2 1980 8940 -1 0
          >
          > Looks like one fan is way slower than the other. Does it mean that the
          > fans are
          > dying? If so, where can I get a replacement and how do I replace them?
          > My warranty has expired.
          >
          > I would appreciate any other suggestions regarding this issue.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Raju

          > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
          > click here
          > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129pu8708/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1708211820:HM/EXP=1091481653/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

        • Raju Kurunkad
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2004
            * Marc Chamberlin <marcc@...> [2004-08-02 19:21]:
            > Well you got my curiosity up! I have a Insprion 8100, running SuSE 9.1,
            > and sure enough if I press the Fn-Z keys, my fans immediately stop
            > running also! I am quite surprised by this, an wonder if there is an
            > equivalent way to immediately start the fans? Also, I wonder, is there a
            > utility that will let me monitor my fans, speed, and CPU temp? Would be

            On linux, if your kernel has support for the i8k SMM driver(most modern kernels have this support),
            you can use the i8k utilities from http://people.debian.org/~dz/i8k/ to moniter and control fans.
            If you have the SMM driver loaded you can do a "cat /proc/i8k" to check the CPU temperature and
            the fan speed(if they are running).

            Equivalent for windows(with a nice GUI) can be obtained from
            http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html

            > awfully nice to have, as I suspect my laptop constantly slows down much
            > of the time, and I wonder if it is always overheated....
            >
            > Raju, I too have noted my fans seem to run independently of each other..
            > sometimes one fan runs,and the other does not, sometimes one runs slower
            > than the other, sometimes both run at full speed...
            >
            > Marc...

            Anyway, in my case, the grinding noise stopped after I cleaned the fans throughly. now both fans run
            at about the same speed.

            Thanks,
            Raju
          • Raju Kurunkad
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 3, 2004
              * mchristoph.eckert@... <mchristoph.eckert@...> [2004-08-02 19:18]:

              > > My Inspiron 8200 fans are making some odd noise. I press
              > > "Fn-Z" to reread the temperature and it stops for some
              > > time.
              > >
              > > $ cat /proc/i8k
              > > 1.0 A10 BXXXXXX 2 2 1980 8940 -1 0
              > >
              > > Looks like one fan is way slower than the other. Does it
              > > mean that the fans are dying? If so, where can I get a
              > > replacement and how do I replace them? My warranty has
              > > expired.
              > >
              > > I would appreciate any other suggestions regarding this
              > > issue.
              >
              > * Try removing the dust from the fans using a spray duster
              > * Check if some screws on the bottom of your chassis are not
              > correct mounted
              >
              > Nothing special, but both I tried successfully as my fans got
              > noisy.

              Thanks for the advice. The fan noise stopped after I cleaned it using a can of
              compressed air(available at office depot).

              Raju