Re: Touchpad

  • Hamish Morgan
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2004
      The following is copied from the FAQ at Synaptics Touchpad driver page
      http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/

      * Does it work on a Dell Inspiron 8200?

      No, the Dell Inspiron 8200 has an ALPS touchpad that seems to be
      incompatible with other ALPS touchpads. Since no hardware
      documentation is available, this model will not be supported until
      someone who has access to the hardware manages to reverse engineer
      it.

      ...I also have an 8200 and my touchpad doesn't work :(

      Hamish

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Morganson"
      <jasonmorganson@y...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I have a Dell Inspiron 8200, I recently installed Slackware and have
      > been trying to get my touchpad working with no luck. I read every
      > HOW-TO i could find and read anything I could find. The ALP's pad
      > seems to be a little tricky though and doesn't work out of the box
      > for most people, but then other people have no problems with it. So
      > the help files i could find a very diverse. I was hoping maybe
      > someone here could help me out.
      >
      > My system is a Dell Inspiron 8200, I am running Slackware 10.0,
      > kernel 2.6.7, the x.org window server, and KDE aKademy.
      >
      > I read that gpm doesn't work well with the 8200, I tried with it on
      > and off and it didn't make a difference, it is disabled right now.
      >
      > Here is the input section of my xorg.conf file:
      >
      > Section "InputDevice"
      > Identifier "USB Mouse"
      > Driver "mouse"
      > Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
      > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
      > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
      > Option "Buttons" "5"
      > EndSection
      >
      > Section "InputDevice"
      > Identifier "TouchPad"
      > Driver "mouse"
      > Option "Protocol" "GlidePointPS/2"
      > Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
      > Option "Emulate3Buttons"
      > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
      > EndSection
      >
      > And I have this in my server layout:
      >
      > InputDevice "TouchPad" "CorePointer"
      > InputDevice "USB Mouse" "SendCoreEvents"
      > InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
      >
      > Thanks for any help you can give me, it is a little bit of a nusence
      > to have to plug in a mouse to use a laptop.
      >
      > Jason
    • Jason Morganson
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
        The Synaptics drivers don't seem to on the 8200. What should I do?

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Hamish Morgan"