Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Touchpad

  • Marvin R. Pierce
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2004
      On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 06:51 am, Jason Morganson wrote:
      > I have a Dell Inspiron 8200, I recently installed Slackware and have
      > been trying to get my touchpad working with no luck. I read every
      > HOW-TO i could find and read anything I could find. The ALP's pad
      > seems to be a little tricky though and doesn't work out of the box
      > for most people, but then other people have no problems with it. So
      > the help files i could find a very diverse. I was hoping maybe
      > someone here could help me out.
      >
      > My system is a Dell Inspiron 8200, I am running Slackware 10.0,
      > kernel 2.6.7, the x.org window server, and KDE aKademy.
      >
      > I read that gpm doesn't work well with the 8200, I tried with it on
      > and off and it didn't make a difference, it is disabled right now.

      Get the synaptic touchpad driver and follow the instructions as this
      works perfectly. I would also suggest that you get the latest kernel and
      compile in the options for dell as well as acpi as everything works on
      my I8.1K notebook.

      Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier "mouse.usb"
      Driver "mouse"
      Option "SendCoreEvents" "YES"
      Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
      Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
      Option "Emulate3Buttons" "YES"
      Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
      EndSection

      Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier "touchpad"
      Driver "synaptics"
      Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
      Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
      Option "LeftEdge" "1700"
      Option "RightEdge" "5300"
      Option "TopEdge" "1700"
      Option "BottomEdge" "4200"
      Option "FingerLow" "25"
      Option "FingerHigh" "30"
      Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
      Option "MaxTapMove" "220"
      Option "VertScrollDelta" "100"
      Option "MinSpeed" "0.06"
      Option "MaxSpeed" "0.12"
      Option "AccelFactor" "0.0010"
      Option "SHMConfig" "on"
      # Option "Repeater" "/dev/ps2mouse"
      EndSection

      Section "ServerLayout"
      Identifier "Default Layout"
      Screen "Default Screen"
      InputDevice "Default Keyboard"
      InputDevice "mouse.usb"
      InputDevice "touchpad" "CorePointer"
      EndSection

      Let us know if this solves your problem.

      Marvin
    • Hamish Morgan
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2004
        The following is copied from the FAQ at Synaptics Touchpad driver page
        http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/

        * Does it work on a Dell Inspiron 8200?

        No, the Dell Inspiron 8200 has an ALPS touchpad that seems to be
        incompatible with other ALPS touchpads. Since no hardware
        documentation is available, this model will not be supported until
        someone who has access to the hardware manages to reverse engineer
        it.

        ...I also have an 8200 and my touchpad doesn't work :(

        Hamish

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Morganson"
        <jasonmorganson@y...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I have a Dell Inspiron 8200, I recently installed Slackware and have
        > been trying to get my touchpad working with no luck. I read every
        > HOW-TO i could find and read anything I could find. The ALP's pad
        > seems to be a little tricky though and doesn't work out of the box
        > for most people, but then other people have no problems with it. So
        > the help files i could find a very diverse. I was hoping maybe
        > someone here could help me out.
        >
        > My system is a Dell Inspiron 8200, I am running Slackware 10.0,
        > kernel 2.6.7, the x.org window server, and KDE aKademy.
        >
        > I read that gpm doesn't work well with the 8200, I tried with it on
        > and off and it didn't make a difference, it is disabled right now.
        >
        > Here is the input section of my xorg.conf file:
        >
        > Section "InputDevice"
        > Identifier "USB Mouse"
        > Driver "mouse"
        > Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        > Option "Buttons" "5"
        > EndSection
        >
        > Section "InputDevice"
        > Identifier "TouchPad"
        > Driver "mouse"
        > Option "Protocol" "GlidePointPS/2"
        > Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        > Option "Emulate3Buttons"
        > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        > EndSection
        >
        > And I have this in my server layout:
        >
        > InputDevice "TouchPad" "CorePointer"
        > InputDevice "USB Mouse" "SendCoreEvents"
        > InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
        >
        > Thanks for any help you can give me, it is a little bit of a nusence
        > to have to plug in a mouse to use a laptop.
        >
        > Jason
      • Jason Morganson
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
          The Synaptics drivers don't seem to on the 8200. What should I do?

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Hamish Morgan"