No sound with DVD player

  • steveh7676
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2004
      I have Dell Latitude with external DVD drive. So far I have
      successfully read CD-ROMs from it and have been trying to play audio
      CDs on it without success -- no sound.

      YaST confirms the correct sound card (NM2360, MagicMedia 256ZX Audio).
      When I use the volume testing in YaST, it plays the test midi sequence
      through the speakers OK. When I put an audio CD in the drive, KsCD
      program pops up and when I press Play, it seems to be playing OK
      (counter starts to increment, says "Playing , Vol 40%") but I get no
      sound. The eject button in KsCD ejects the CD corretly. There are no
      error messages -- everything LOOKS ok, it's just that no sound is heard.

      Can anyone suggest things to check, possible causes? I am a newbie, so
      take it slowly. :-) Thanks.
    • Jason
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
        You might try checking the alsa mixer to make sure that nothing is muted. I
        had the same issue with dvd's on my laptop in gentoo.

        HTH