RE: [linux-dell-laptops] Laptop purchase

  • John F Schroeder
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2004
      I purchased a Dell Latitude C840 (refurbished) in May 2003. I bought a 3 yr
      in home, next day service warranty and Dell's "Complete Care" package. The
      service has been excellent. I have heard stories about awful
      service/support from Dell. I have never had to call for support, but
      service is another thing. A few weeks after I received my laptop, I had
      problems with the display. I called Dell, we ran through some tests,
      discovered that the LCD was dead - no surprise - and that I could still use
      an external monitor - so no "down time". They scheduled a service call for
      2 days later (I had called at 11PM - they apologized but said they couldn't
      do next day on that short notice) which was extended to 3.5 days when they
      had a back order situation. The tech came, spent an hour or less replacing
      the lcd and everything worked fine. I would have been upset if I had not
      been able to use the system for that time, but the tech took the time to
      establish that the external monitor worked. I am sure that was part of
      their diagnostic work, but it saved me 3 days of whining that I couldn't
      work :)

      Go forward about 9 months. I am sitting in front of my laptop clumsily
      taking out a dry contact lens, re-wetting it, and replacing it into my eye.
      Oops! I spilled some contact lens solution on my keyboard. S**T!!! The
      system went down and would not re-boot. I had less than 24 hours to finish
      some demo software and a presentation for a major customer. Fortunately, I
      had a latitude C800 which had the same hard drive as my C840. Swap the
      drives and I am back in business. Call Dell. "Oh yes sir, you have
      Complete Care. The Technician will be there tomorrow." Once a gain, 24
      hours later, the Dell tech shows up, replaces keyboard and motherboard at no
      charge, and I am back in business.

      Right now I am not planning to buy equipment from anyone but Dell (I am sure
      I can be bribed! :) and I will ALWAYS buy the "Complete Care" package. What
      great insurance for a klutz like me!

      I have Win XP PRO on the C840 and RH Linux 8 on the C800. RH is running
      fine on the C800. I am a Linux novice, but was able to install RH and get
      the display to function in different resolutions thanks to some help from
      the people on this list.

      John