Laptop purchase

  • Gabriel Vidal
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2004
      I do not currently own a Dell, but I am thinking of buying one.
      Some people have told me that Dell laptops break down more often than others, or that parts for the laptops are more expensive than other companies.
      Can I get some help about my purchase? I am also planning on installing linux on the laptop. Is Dell easier to deal w/ than the other laptops?
      Thanks a whole bunch
      Gabriel
    • David R. Enberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 29, 2004
        Message
        I purchased a Dell Inspiron 4000 in the spring of 2000, and I have owned it for 4 years.  In that time, I have used just about every day for up to 8 hours a day and sometimes even more.  I did purchase an extended warranty which I didn't end up REALLY needing because the laptop has never broken down on me.  I HAVE worn it out from excessive use, and this past winter when they keyboard was acting flaky, and the cooling fan didn't seem to be working, I sent it in for repair.    Dell had it for 2 weeks, and replaced the motherboard, keyboard, display and fan for nothing.

        One complaint that I do have is that the display on this particular model does have an inherent flaw in it, but its common on the model ( as other have told me they have the same flaw).  It doesn't affect the ability to use the display but it is apparent in bright light or when the screen is off

        All in all, mine has been a rock solid performer and I would buy another Dell in a heartbeat.  I do have RedHat dual booting on this laptop along with Windows XP Pro, and all the hardware seems to be perfectly compatible and happy with Red Hat.

        My system specs:

        Mobile Intel Pentium IIIE, 850 Mhz
        512 Mb Ram
        ATI Mobility 128 AGP
        ESS 1983S Maestro 3i(sound card)
        40 GB Ultra-ATA/100 HD

        Hope this helps you out

        Dave Enberg
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 30, 2004
          I purchased a Dell Latitude C840 (refurbished) in May 2003. I bought a 3 yr
          in home, next day service warranty and Dell's "Complete Care" package. The
          service has been excellent. I have heard stories about awful
          service/support from Dell. I have never had to call for support, but
          service is another thing. A few weeks after I received my laptop, I had
          problems with the display. I called Dell, we ran through some tests,
          discovered that the LCD was dead - no surprise - and that I could still use
          an external monitor - so no "down time". They scheduled a service call for
          2 days later (I had called at 11PM - they apologized but said they couldn't
          do next day on that short notice) which was extended to 3.5 days when they
          had a back order situation. The tech came, spent an hour or less replacing
          the lcd and everything worked fine. I would have been upset if I had not
          been able to use the system for that time, but the tech took the time to
          establish that the external monitor worked. I am sure that was part of
          their diagnostic work, but it saved me 3 days of whining that I couldn't
          work :)

          Go forward about 9 months. I am sitting in front of my laptop clumsily
          taking out a dry contact lens, re-wetting it, and replacing it into my eye.
          Oops! I spilled some contact lens solution on my keyboard. S**T!!! The
          system went down and would not re-boot. I had less than 24 hours to finish
          some demo software and a presentation for a major customer. Fortunately, I
          had a latitude C800 which had the same hard drive as my C840. Swap the
          drives and I am back in business. Call Dell. "Oh yes sir, you have
          Complete Care. The Technician will be there tomorrow." Once a gain, 24
          hours later, the Dell tech shows up, replaces keyboard and motherboard at no
          charge, and I am back in business.

          Right now I am not planning to buy equipment from anyone but Dell (I am sure
          I can be bribed! :) and I will ALWAYS buy the "Complete Care" package. What
          great insurance for a klutz like me!

          I have Win XP PRO on the C840 and RH Linux 8 on the C800. RH is running
          fine on the C800. I am a Linux novice, but was able to install RH and get
          the display to function in different resolutions thanks to some help from
          the people on this list.

          John

          I do not currently own a Dell, but I am thinking of buying one.
          Some people have told me that Dell laptops break down more often
          than others, or that parts for the laptops are more expensive than other
          companies.
          Can I get some help about my purchase? I am also planning on
          installing linux on the laptop. Is Dell easier to deal w/ than the other
          laptops?
          Thanks a whole bunch
          Gabriel

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor