Re: [linux-dell-laptops] New to Linux question

  • Gus Wiening
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 26 8:36 AM
      --- marcuirl <marcuirl@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:59:03 -0000, "falconbrother"
      > <falconbrother@...> said:
      > > OK, I know I'm a rookie here. I have, what to
      > many of you may seem
      > > like, a stupid question.
      > >
      > > I have a Dell Latitude C800 laptop with a PIII
      > processor and a 20 Gig
      > > drive. I have wiped the drive (long story) and
      > want to install Linux
      > > 9.0 from three CDs. Basically I install the three
      > CD's on the lap
      > > top and everything seems to be going fine. Then,
      > when it gets to the
      > > point where it should be rebooting and doing the
      > initial install of
      > > Linux it promts me for a user name and password.
      > However, at no
      > > point has it ever asked me for that information so
      > I have no
      > > information to enter.
      > >
      > > Yes, during the install it asked for a root
      > password but never
      > > request a user name. As I understand it the
      > request for a user name
      > > and password only occurs when you are creating a
      > user account, after
      > > Linux is mostly installed. Any suggestions? I
      > really dont want to
      > > load Windows anything on this laptop.
      >
      > You remember that password you typed in right? Well
      > the user it is for
      > is called
      >
      > root
      >
      > That should get you going adn it is nearly almost
      > completely installed
      > now on this machine. I would think you just have to
      > do some
      > configuration and that will be it!
      >
      > marcu

      In nearly every *NIX derivative, 'root' is the
      equivalent of 'administrator' on Windows machines. It
      is the all-singing all-dancing.

      Also, a common thing for users new to Linux is to
      refer to their distro as "Linux 9.0" or something like
      that... Linux refers just to the very core kernel of
      the software. RedHat, SuSE, Slackware, Mandrake...
      these are all Distributions... basically a
      distribution is just the kernel as well as whatever
      software is needed to have a working system.

      Just trying to get you pointed in the right direction
      straight away :) Welcome to Linux!

      =====
      Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
      There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
      Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
      Though down that road we've been so many times...
      - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail