Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Dell floppy on parallel port

  • Haedn Thorn
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25, 2004
      --- John August <johna@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm trying to get a "Floppy Disk Drive Module" to
      > work on a different laptop
      > because my laptop's floppy is bung. This means
      > plugging it into my laptop's
      > printer port to try to get floppy functionality.
      >
      > Web pages say that linux automatically handles the
      > floppy drive operation
      > ... but what drivers does it use ? What goes on
      > "behind the scenes" to use
      > the printer port ?
      >
      > Or is does it happen at the hardware level, where
      > the printer port changes to
      > something else under the hood ?
      The normal FDD module is 'floppy' it should give you a
      device at /dev/fd0 ... I've never used a parallel
      interface floppy, so I'm not sure there, but I would
      expect something slightly more involved ... Possibly
      the parallel-ide module (I don't know the name of that
      one) and the ide-floppy (with the same name) ... Under
      Windows, parallel drive devices show up as SCSI, but I
      don't recall seeing any scsi-floppy modules in the
      kernel? Anyhow, I hope some of this at least leads
      you in the right direction.