pls help

  • Tanmay Vernekar
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 21, 2004
      hi
      i've I5150 with P4 3.06GHz HT cpu
      can some1 pls tell me if the following prob is a s/w or h/w prob
      this prob has been happenin to me on windows
      my comp goes off straight while i'm runnig ny songs or a movie
      it doesnt give me any error msg, this has been happenin 2 me for
      last 7 days. i've installed the windows twice but still it happens
      i've tried pralyin all those songs & movies on linux but i doesnt
      not go off while runnin linux
      from the moment i start windows the task manager shows dat the CPU
      usage is 100%
      my comp also get overheated
      i downloaded a utility s/w from intel site & ran it
      it says dat my system bus is getting overclocked a lot then it is
      supposed to & advices to contact manufacturer
      i run all the diagnostic test but the pass the results
      i called dell they r not ready 2 accept this as a hardware probs
      can some1 pls tell me wat do i do so dat the system stops crashing
      & how do i convince dell dat its a h/w prob & not s/w.

      thanx
      cheers
      tanmay
    • Kris Baker
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 21, 2004
        If it is the version of windows that dell shipped you ... you might contact
        them for assistance

        Kristopher W. Baker

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 21, 2004
          If it works right under Linux, then it's not hardware.

          --- Tanmay Vernekar <tanmayv@...> wrote:
          > hi
          > i've I5150 with P4 3.06GHz HT cpu
          > can some1 pls tell me if the following prob is a s/w
          > or h/w prob
          > this prob has been happenin to me on windows
          > my comp goes off straight while i'm runnig ny songs
          > or a movie
          > it doesnt give me any error msg, this has been
          > happenin 2 me for
          > last 7 days. i've installed the windows twice but
          > still it happens
          > i've tried pralyin all those songs & movies on linux
          > but i doesnt
          > not go off while runnin linux
          > from the moment i start windows the task manager
          > shows dat the CPU
          > usage is 100%
          > my comp also get overheated
          > i downloaded a utility s/w from intel site & ran it
          > it says dat my system bus is getting overclocked a
          > lot then it is
          > supposed to & advices to contact manufacturer
          > i run all the diagnostic test but the pass the
          > results
          > i called dell they r not ready 2 accept this as a
          > hardware probs
          > can some1 pls tell me wat do i do so dat the system
          > stops crashing
          > & how do i convince dell dat its a h/w prob & not
          > s/w.
        • Gus Wiening
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 22, 2004
            --- Haedn Thorn <lordhaedn@...> wrote:
            > If it works right under Linux, then it's not
            > hardware.

            HOWEVER, if an official Intel diagnostic tool says it
            has problems, it makes me suspect of the hardware. :)

            Is this a utility you run in Windows? If so, is there
            a way you can put it on a boot floppy and run it that
            way instead?

            Also, what apps cause the machine to reboot? Have you
            tried using multiple media players (winamp/windows
            media player/etc)?

            > --- Tanmay Vernekar <tanmayv@...> wrote:
            > > hi
            > > i've I5150 with P4 3.06GHz HT cpu
            > > can some1 pls tell me if the following prob is a
            > s/w
            > > or h/w prob
            > > this prob has been happenin to me on windows
            > > my comp goes off straight while i'm runnig ny
            > songs
            > > or a movie
            > > it doesnt give me any error msg, this has been
            > > happenin 2 me for
            > > last 7 days. i've installed the windows twice but
            > > still it happens
            > > i've tried pralyin all those songs & movies on
            > linux
            > > but i doesnt
            > > not go off while runnin linux
            > > from the moment i start windows the task manager
            > > shows dat the CPU
            > > usage is 100%
            > > my comp also get overheated
            > > i downloaded a utility s/w from intel site & ran
            > it
            > > it says dat my system bus is getting overclocked a
            > > lot then it is
            > > supposed to & advices to contact manufacturer
            > > i run all the diagnostic test but the pass the
            > > results
            > > i called dell they r not ready 2 accept this as a
            > > hardware probs
            > > can some1 pls tell me wat do i do so dat the
            > system
            > > stops crashing
            > > & how do i convince dell dat its a h/w prob & not
            > > s/w.

            =====
            Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
            There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
            Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
            Though down that road we've been so many times...
            - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Tanmay Vernekar
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 22, 2004
              --- Haedn Thorn wrote:
              > > If it works right under Linux, then it's not
              > > hardware.
              >
              > HOWEVER, if an official Intel diagnostic tool says it
              > has problems, it makes me suspect of the hardware. :)
              >
              > Is this a utility you run in Windows? If so, is there
              > a way you can put it on a boot floppy and run it that
              > way instead?
              >
              > Also, what apps cause the machine to reboot? Have you
              > tried using multiple media players (winamp/windows
              > media player/etc)?

              hi
              i've tried 3 media players (windows, winamp & mpc )
              all made the comp crash
              i'm attaching the screenshot of the intel utility
              it shows dat the system is gettin overclocked
              i've told dell dat this s/w say dat there is a prob
              but they r not agreein with dat

              cheers
              tanmay

              > > --- Tanmay Vernekar wrote:
              > > > hi
              > > > i've I5150 with P4 3.06GHz HT cpu
              > > > can some1 pls tell me if the following prob is a
              > > s/w
              > > > or h/w prob
              > > > this prob has been happenin to me on windows
              > > > my comp goes off straight while i'm runnig ny
              > > songs
              > > > or a movie
              > > > it doesnt give me any error msg, this has been
              > > > happenin 2 me for
              > > > last 7 days. i've installed the windows twice but
              > > > still it happens
              > > > i've tried pralyin all those songs & movies on
              > > linux
              > > > but i doesnt
              > > > not go off while runnin linux
              > > > from the moment i start windows the task manager
              > > > shows dat the CPU
              > > > usage is 100%
              > > > my comp also get overheated
              > > > i downloaded a utility s/w from intel site & ran
              > > it
              > > > it says dat my system bus is getting overclocked a
              > > > lot then it is
              > > > supposed to & advices to contact manufacturer
              > > > i run all the diagnostic test but the pass the
              > > > results
              > > > i called dell they r not ready 2 accept this as a
              > > > hardware probs
              > > > can some1 pls tell me wat do i do so dat the
              > > system
              > > > stops crashing
              > > > & how do i convince dell dat its a h/w prob & not
              > > > s/w.

              IndiaInfo Mail - the free e-mail service with a difference! www.indiainfo.com
              Check out our value-added Premium features, such as an extra 20MB for mail storage, POP3, e-mail forwarding, and ads-free mailboxes!

              Powered by Outblaze
            • Ryan
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 22, 2004
                I can be of no help, but just wanted to say, are you not asking for
                trouble when you put out a laptop with the model number 5150? heh

                > > If it works right under Linux, then it's not
                > > hardware.
                >
                > HOWEVER, if an official Intel diagnostic tool says it
                > has problems, it makes me suspect of the hardware. :)
                >
                > Is this a utility you run in Windows? If so, is there
                > a way you can put it on a boot floppy and run it that
                > way instead?
                >
                > Also, what apps cause the machine to reboot? Have you
                > tried using multiple media players (winamp/windows
                > media player/etc)?

                hi
                i've tried 3 media players (windows, winamp & mpc )
                all made the comp crash
                i'm attaching the screenshot of the intel utility
                it shows dat the system is gettin overclocked
                i've told dell dat this s/w say dat there is a prob
                but they r not agreein with dat

                cheers
                tanmay

                > > --- Tanmay Vernekar wrote:
                > > > hi
                > > > i've I5150 with P4 3.06GHz HT cpu
                > > > can some1 pls tell me if the following prob is a
                > > s/w
                > > > or h/w prob
                > > > this prob has been happenin to me on windows
                > > > my comp goes off straight while i'm runnig ny
                > > songs
                > > > or a movie
                > > > it doesnt give me any error msg, this has been
                > > > happenin 2 me for
                > > > last 7 days. i've installed the windows twice but
                > > > still it happens
                > > > i've tried pralyin all those songs & movies on
                > > linux
                > > > but i doesnt
                > > > not go off while runnin linux
                > > > from the moment i start windows the task manager
                > > > shows dat the CPU
                > > > usage is 100%
                > > > my comp also get overheated
                > > > i downloaded a utility s/w from intel site & ran
                > > it
                > > > it says dat my system bus is getting overclocked a
                > > > lot then it is
                > > > supposed to & advices to contact manufacturer
                > > > i run all the diagnostic test but the pass the
                > > > results
                > > > i called dell they r not ready 2 accept this as a
                > > > hardware probs
                > > > can some1 pls tell me wat do i do so dat the
                > > system
                > > > stops crashing
                > > > & how do i convince dell dat its a h/w prob & not
                > > > s/w.

                IndiaInfo Mail - the free e-mail service with a difference! www.indiainfo.com
                Check out our value-added Premium features, such as an extra 20MB for
                mail storage, POP3, e-mail forwarding, and ads-free mailboxes!

                Powered by Outblaze

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • mike
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 24, 2004
                  On Thursday 22 July 2004 05:54 pm, Ryan wrote:
                  > I can be of no help, but just wanted to say, are you not asking for
                  > trouble when you put out a laptop with the model number 5150? heh
                  heh heh yes i bought one too; before i remembered what 5150 means in
                  CaliCopSpeak...

                  --
                  In 1962, you could buy a pair of SHARKSKIN SLACKS, with a "Continental
                  Belt," for $10.99!!