Re: inspiron 8200 slow when at 60°C

  • manger_dormir
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 14, 2004
      yes, one of my fans is dead.
      but even when it gets back to less than 50°C, it is still very slow.
      can it be linked to the dead fan? if so do somebody know how much does
      it cost to repair this?
      thanks.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Paul Gratz <pgratz@g...>
      wrote:
      > Yeah, thats a safety thing, the CPU will slow down to keep from
      burning
      > itself out. The real question is why is getting to 60 degrees C
      (thats
      > 140F)? Is one of your fans dead? Do the fans turn on/run faster when
      the
      > computer is working harder (they should)?
      > Paul
    • Kevin Kassil
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 14, 2004
        My Inspiron 4150's BIOS seems content to let it reach ~65 degrees C
        under load, before the main fan kicks in. (P4-M 1.8GHz) I override
        the fan speeds because that seems way too high. I've never noticed
        the MHz throttle back.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Ivan Fernandez Pelaez
        <ivan.fernandez.pelaez@v...> wrote:
        > On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 01:18:43PM -0500, Paul Gratz wrote:
        > > Yeah, thats a safety thing, the CPU will slow down to keep from
        burning
        > > itself out. The real question is why is getting to 60 degrees C (thats
        > > 140F)? Is one of your fans dead? Do the fans turn on/run faster
        when the
        > > computer is working harder (they should)?
        >
        > I'm curious about this. My I5150 routinely works at 70ºC (it's now 71,
        > as seen in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/temperature). I've tried most
        > anything to cool it off, especially running a cpu frequency deaemon
        > (powernowd), which gets it down to the minimum most of the time (again,
        > right now it shows 387 MHz), but this has no discernible effect on the
        > processor temperature.
        >
        > What is the normal running temperature for people out there? Is there
        > anything I can do to bring it down?
        >
        > BTW, I notice no performance hit with these temperatures.
        >
        > --
        > Ivan Fernández
        > ivan.fernandez@v...
      • Ash Varma
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 14, 2004
          It appears that on Jul 14 2004 at 10:25:03, Ivan Fernandez Pelaez wrote ...
          > On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 01:18:43PM -0500, Paul Gratz wrote:
          > > Yeah, thats a safety thing, the CPU will slow down to keep from burning
          > > itself out. The real question is why is getting to 60 degrees C (thats
          > > 140F)? Is one of your fans dead? Do the fans turn on/run faster when the
          > > computer is working harder (they should)?
          >
          > I'm curious about this. My I5150 routinely works at 70?C (it's now 71,
          > as seen in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/temperature). I've tried most
          > anything to cool it off, especially running a cpu frequency deaemon
          > (powernowd), which gets it down to the minimum most of the time (again,
          > right now it shows 387 MHz), but this has no discernible effect on the
          > processor temperature.
          >
          > What is the normal running temperature for people out there? Is there
          > anything I can do to bring it down?
          >
          > BTW, I notice no performance hit with these temperatures.

          I have an I5150 (P4-m 3.2 GHz) and I notice temps from 55'C (right now
          with almost 0 load) through to 70 - 71 'C (with sustained heavy load
          with compiling gentoo packages).. Have not noticed a hit in performance.

          I have ACPI compiledinto the kernel. Is there any documentation
          available that specifies the temperature safety marks, ie. whether I am
          damaging the machine when it is up in the 70's ?

          --

          Ash Varma
          tnedor@...

          Treaties are like roses and young girls -- they last while they last.
          -- Charles DeGaulle
        • manger_dormir
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 14, 2004
            I noticed when it becomes slow the processor is at 1.2GHz (in
            /proc/cpuinfo). it is a P4 1.6GHz.
            I don't really know why it is so slow but the only thing I can do in
            this case is to reboot.

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "manger_dormir"
            <manger_dormir@y...> wrote:
            > yes, one of my fans is dead.
            > but even when it gets back to less than 50°C, it is still very slow.
            > can it be linked to the dead fan? if so do somebody know how much
            does
            > it cost to repair this?
            > thanks.

          • Paul Gratz
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 14, 2004
              Your fan being dead is definitely a factor IMHO. If you get it fixed I
              think you will find it running faster.
              Paul

              On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 15:46, manger_dormir wrote:
              > I noticed when it becomes slow the processor is at 1.2GHz (in
              > /proc/cpuinfo). it is a P4 1.6GHz.
              > I don't really know why it is so slow but the only thing I can do in
              > this case is to reboot.
              >
              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "manger_dormir"
              > <manger_dormir@y...> wrote:
              > > yes, one of my fans is dead.
              > > but even when it gets back to less than 50°C, it is still very slow.
              > > can it be linked to the dead fan? if so do somebody know how much
              > does
              > > it cost to repair this?
              > > thanks.

            • IbericoVespucio
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 14, 2004
                Respondiendo a Ivan Fernandez Pelaez [Re: [linux-dell-laptops] inspiron 8200 slow when at 60°C], del 13 de julio de 2004 a las 23:00:11 (-0500)

                > What is the normal running temperature for people out there?

                I use an I8600 Pentium M at 1.5GHz with an ATI 9000 M9. The
                temperature depends on the use or not of i8kmon. Without, use to be
                below 50C with the fans running almost all the time. With i8kmon
                temperature often reach more than 60C, and fans launch less often.

                Also, i have the feeling that, after upgrading xfree at 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4
                which support DRI in my card, fans launch less often.

                I have not noticed differences in temperature depending on the load.
                With high loads fans runs more often, that is all.

                Also, I have used the pre-installed WinXP a few times and fans have
                never launch in this times. Unfortunately, I had no way to know the
                temperature.

                > Is there anything I can do to bring it down?

                Try deactivating the i8kmon or, even, i8kmodules

                Ángel.

                --
                ibericovespucio
                @...

                Si por bueno te tienes, haz lo que debes.