Screen won't shut off on Dell i8100 with FC2

  • Gregory Gulik
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2004
      I recently upgraded my Dell Inspirion 8100 from Fedora Core 1 to Fedora
      Core 2 and now the screen won't blank any more.

      I've been using the "nv" driver with the built-in GeForce 2 video card
      and I'm nearly positive it used to work.

      Attached is my xorg.conf and the following is the relevant output of
      "xset q" which I ran from another box while the screen was supposedly
      blanked. You can still see that the system thinks that the monitor has
      been turned off yet the backlight is still on:

      DPMS (Energy Star):
      Standby: 900 Suspend: 1200 Off: 1500
      DPMS is Enabled
      Monitor is Off

      Any ideas????

      --
      Greg Gulik http://www.gulik.org/greg/
      greg @ gulik.org
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2004
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Gulik <greg@g...>
        wrote:

        > I recently upgraded my Dell Inspirion 8100 from Fedora Core 1 to
        Fedora
        > Core 2 and now the screen won't blank any more.

        I've experienced the same behavior as you (on my 5150) but I haven't
        found a solution yet. :-(

        Does the newest nvidia driver (6106) makes a difference?

        AB.
      • AirBete
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 11, 2004
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "AirBete" <airbete@y...> wrote:
          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Gulik <greg@g...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I recently upgraded my Dell Inspirion 8100 from Fedora Core 1 to
          > Fedora
          > > Core 2 and now the screen won't blank any more.
          >
          > I've experienced the same behavior as you (on my 5150) but I haven't
          > found a solution yet. :-(
          >
          > Does the newest nvidia driver (6106) makes a difference?

          Yes it does! After installing the new driver, the screen blanks
          normally. Hope it'll work for you too.

          AB.