Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Setting Up RedHat 7.2 on Inspiron 8000 - Ethernet Issue

  • Vadim E. Ulybin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2004
      Hello!

      cg1970_1 wrote:

      >I'm relatively new w/ Linux. I took a class a couple years back and
      >decided to try to get my computer to access the internet...but I'm
      >having some problems.
      >
      >I have the ActionTec Ethernet Pro 100 NIC card and I already
      >downloaded what I thought was the necessary ltmodem driver (ltmodem-
      >kv_2.4.7_10-6.00b15-1.i386.rpm).

      If I understood correctly, You need to make ethernet connection, not
      dial-up. So You'll NOT need ltmodem driver as it's needed only for PCI
      WinModems based on LucentTechnologies chips. =)

      Possible error in configuration described below:

      >I've listed the output from the ifcfg-eth0, ifconfig -a, and lspci -v
      >below. Any help w/ this configuration would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      >Thanks,
      >Claude
      >

      >/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

      ^^^

      >##########################################
      >DEVICE=eth0:0

      ^^^^
      1) You need "ifcfg-INTERFACE" file and "device=INTERFACE" string in it
      absolutely the same, but we can see "eth0" in 1st case and "eth0:0" in
      the 2nd, which are different (the 2nd tells "alias0 for I/Face eth0") so
      try to correct 2nd to be same as 1st.

      >BOOTPROTO=dhcp

      2) I hope, DHCP server of Your network can assign any IP address to Your
      NIC - try to take IP from Win* with the same NIC...

      >ONBOOT=yes

      3) Is Your NIC integrated and Ether-cable connected at boot time?