acpi & suspend on inspiron 5150

  • Tanmay Vernekar
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2004
      hi
      i've an inspiron 5150 with a custom compiled 2.6.7 kernel
      with Nvidia graphics card. i want to make suspend to ram & suspend
      to disk workin. can some1 pls tell me how do i get this workin. i've
      absolutely no idea of how to get this workin. do i need to compile
      DSDT & software suspend. pls help me

      cheers
      tanmay
    • AirBete
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6, 2004
        I tried several things with FC2 and the latest NVidia driver (6106),
        but I had no success. The system goes to sleep normally. Then, when I
        press the power button, it looks like it comes back to life, BUT the
        screen stays blank and the laptop is frozen. I can't type anything, I
        can't login from a remote host. I have to cold reboot.

        AB.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Tanmay Vernekar"
        <tanmayv@i...> wrote:
        > hi
        > i've an inspiron 5150 with a custom compiled 2.6.7 kernel
        > with Nvidia graphics card. i want to make suspend to ram & suspend
        > to disk workin. can some1 pls tell me how do i get this workin.
        i've
        > absolutely no idea of how to get this workin. do i need to compile
        > DSDT & software suspend. pls help me
        >
        > cheers
        > tanmay
      • Thomas P. Donnelly
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 13, 2004
          I suspect that your laptop really did come to life but X-windows did
          not. You can reset X-windows and cause it to reinitialize if you
          though, it will log you out. Kinda messy if you have left anything
          running, so make sure you don't (leave anything running) if you use
          this work-around.

          Regards,

          DaCAP

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "AirBete" <airbete@y...> wrote:
          > I tried several things with FC2 and the latest NVidia driver (6106),
          > but I had no success. The system goes to sleep normally. Then, when I
          > press the power button, it looks like it comes back to life, BUT the
          > screen stays blank and the laptop is frozen. I can't type anything, I
          > can't login from a remote host. I have to cold reboot.
          >
          > AB.
          >
          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Tanmay Vernekar"
          > <tanmayv@i...> wrote:
          > > hi
          > > i've an inspiron 5150 with a custom compiled 2.6.7 kernel
          > > with Nvidia graphics card. i want to make suspend to ram & suspend
          > > to disk workin. can some1 pls tell me how do i get this workin.
          > i've
          > > absolutely no idea of how to get this workin. do i need to compile
          > > DSDT & software suspend. pls help me
          > >
          > > cheers
          > > tanmay
        • AirBete
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 15, 2004
            Thanks for your reply,

            I had the same feeling as you at some point, but the system is not
            back to life as far as that. As I said in my previous post,

            > > the laptop is frozen. I can't type anything, I
            > > can't login from a remote host. I have to cold reboot.

            The only thing that seems to come up is the cpu fan. Not very useful.
            :-(

            AB.

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas P. Donnelly"