ACPI, sleep works on I8k2 with nvidia... thanks to new nvidia driver

  • Thomas Deselaers
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2004
      Hello everybody,

      I just wanted to report that I could make acpi sleep work today.

      I just installed the new nvidia driver which is Version 6106.
      and then echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep makes my system sleep. After this,
      simply pressing the powerbutton makes everything unhappen.

      Yippie, finally nvidia did it!

      Well, I am running debian unstable with a 2.6.6 kernel and the most
      recent orinoco driver for the original 802.11b wlan card.

      thomas
      «< Unless stated otherwise everything I write is just my opinion >»
    • Douglas S. Oliver
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19, 2004
        Hi all, first let me say that my i8600 is NOT having a problem. I
        recently installed the latest nvidia driver/program for my machine. I'm
        using rh9 still. I realized that I don't really know what monitor and
        keyboard settings are appropriate in my XF86Config file.

        i8600
        GeForce4 4200 Go NV2864
        AGP 4x Graphics
        64 Mb ddr
        WXGA monitor (15.4 in)

        I messed around with a couple of things before I figured I'd better ask.
        Like I said, everything seems to be running well for the most part.
        Still don't have i8k stuff. I'm running the 2.4.20-31.9 kernel and have
        upgraded the bios to A08. My XF86Config file is posted below:

        # XFree86 4 configuration created by redhat-config-xfree86

        Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier "Default Layout"
        Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        EndSection

        Section "Files"

        # RgbPath is the location of the RGB database. Note, this is the name
        of the
        # file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db"). There is normally
        # no need to change the default.
        # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
        # By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
        # the X server to render fonts.
        RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        FontPath "unix/:7100"
        EndSection

        Section "Module"
        Load "dbe"
        Load "extmod"
        Load "fbdevhw"
        Load "glx"
        Load "record"
        Load "freetype"
        Load "type1"
        EndSection

        Section "InputDevice"

        # Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
        # Option "Xleds" "1 2 3"
        # To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
        # Option "XkbDisable"
        # To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
        # lines below (which are the defaults). For example, for a non-U.S.
        # keyboard, you will probably want to use:
        # Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
        # If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
        # Option "XkbModel" "microsoft"
        #
        # Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
        # For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
        # Option "XkbLayout" "de"
        # or:
        # Option "XkbLayout" "de"
        # Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
        #
        # If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
        # control keys, use:
        # Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
        # Or if you just want both to be control, use:
        # Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
        #
        Identifier "Keyboard0"
        Driver "keyboard"
        Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
        # Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option "XkbLayout" "us"
        EndSection

        Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Mouse0"
        Driver "mouse"
        Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        EndSection

        Section "InputDevice"

        # If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
        # this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
        # also use USB mice at the same time.
        Identifier "DevInputMice"
        Driver "mouse"
        Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        EndSection

        Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "Monitor0"
        VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName "Dell 1280x1024 Laptop Display Panel"
        DisplaySize 330 250
        HorizSync 31.5 - 90.0
        VertRefresh 59.0 - 75.0
        Option "dpms"
        EndSection

        Section "Device"
        Identifier "Videocard0"
        Driver "nvidia"
        VendorName "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName "VESA driver (generic)"
        Option "NvAGP" "3"
        EndSection

        Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device "Videocard0"
        Monitor "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth 24
        SubSection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        EndSection

        Section "DRI"
        Group 0
        Mode 0666
        EndSection

        I just chose a Dell monitor that looked kind of right--though it's not.
        I don't know the proper refresh rates.

        The Option "NvAGP" "3" for AGP come from the nvidia readme file.

        Do I really have a 105 keyboard?

        Anything else I should know?

        Thanks -- d