Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Can't mount/read DVDs

  • Douglas S. Oliver
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
      You know, I've been caught by losing my soft link to cdrom in /dev. Check your permissions also. These things can get confused when changing or upgrading. What program are you using to read the DVD? I have to check my settings when I upgrade using xine. -- d

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
        * simon@... <simon@...> [2004-07-01 19:12]:
        > I have an Inspiron 8200 running gentoo 2.6.x kernel with UDEV. I don't
        > seem to be able to read/mount/anything DVDs. CDs work just fine. If I
        > try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I get: no medium found.
        >
        > Any perls of wisdom?

        I had a similar problem with the MATSHITA UJDA740 on my Inspiron 8200. I was
        able to fix it up upgrading the firmware of the CD-RW/DVD drive. The drive came
        with firmware version 1.00. This problem was fixed by upgrading to firmware
        1.03. I got this info from one of the dell forums. The actual link to the
        firmware for MATSHITA UJDA740 is

        ftp://ftp.dell.com/rmsd/R58198.EXE

        Raju