Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Can't mount/read DVDs

  • Simon Harris
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
      I only do mount /cdrom. And I need scsi adapter support for USB storage
      devices to work.

      Thanks.

      On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:06:31 -0700 (PDT), Joel Thompson <joelt49@...>
      wrote:

      >>> If I try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I
      > get: no medium found.
      >
      > Uh, according to your fstab file, you need to do a
      > mount /cdrom and not mount /mnt/cdrom
      >
      > Also, in the 2.6 kernel series, you don't need the
      > scsi host adapter support; actual atapi support is
      > included in the kernel.
      >
      > =====
      > Joel

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Simon Harris
      RedHill Consulting, Pty. Ltd.
      12/55-67 Batman Street
      West Melbourne VIC 3003
      +61 417 505 611
      http://www.redhillconsulting.com.au
    • Douglas S. Oliver
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
        You know, I've been caught by losing my soft link to cdrom in /dev. Check your permissions also. These things can get confused when changing or upgrading. What program are you using to read the DVD? I have to check my settings when I upgrade using xine. -- d

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
          * simon@... <simon@...> [2004-07-01 19:12]:
          > I have an Inspiron 8200 running gentoo 2.6.x kernel with UDEV. I don't
          > seem to be able to read/mount/anything DVDs. CDs work just fine. If I
          > try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I get: no medium found.
          >
          > Any perls of wisdom?

          I had a similar problem with the MATSHITA UJDA740 on my Inspiron 8200. I was
          able to fix it up upgrading the firmware of the CD-RW/DVD drive. The drive came
          with firmware version 1.00. This problem was fixed by upgrading to firmware
          1.03. I got this info from one of the dell forums. The actual link to the
          firmware for MATSHITA UJDA740 is

          ftp://ftp.dell.com/rmsd/R58198.EXE

          Raju