Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Can't mount/read DVDs

  • Simon Harris
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
      Heres my .config file if that helps

      Note in dmesg the successful mounting of an ISO9660 CDROM and the
      subsequent failure to open the DVD. The message I get is "mount: No medium
      found".

      Cheers,

      Simon

    • Joel Thompson
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
        >>If I try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I
        get: no medium found.

        Uh, according to your fstab file, you need to do a
        mount /cdrom and not mount /mnt/cdrom

        Also, in the 2.6 kernel series, you don't need the
        scsi host adapter support; actual atapi support is
        included in the kernel.

        =====
        Joel

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
          I only do mount /cdrom. And I need scsi adapter support for USB storage
          devices to work.

          Thanks.

          On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:06:31 -0700 (PDT), Joel Thompson <joelt49@...>
          wrote:

          >>> If I try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I
          > get: no medium found.
          >
          > Uh, according to your fstab file, you need to do a
          > mount /cdrom and not mount /mnt/cdrom
          >
          > Also, in the 2.6 kernel series, you don't need the
          > scsi host adapter support; actual atapi support is
          > included in the kernel.
          >
          > =====
          > Joel

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Simon Harris
          RedHill Consulting, Pty. Ltd.
          12/55-67 Batman Street
          West Melbourne VIC 3003
          +61 417 505 611
          http://www.redhillconsulting.com.au
        • Douglas S. Oliver
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
            You know, I've been caught by losing my soft link to cdrom in /dev. Check your permissions also. These things can get confused when changing or upgrading. What program are you using to read the DVD? I have to check my settings when I upgrade using xine. -- d

            > Thanks for replying. Yes I have fstab etc. all
            > configured. I can read/burn
            > CDs perfectly well but for some reason, DVDs just
            > don't get recognised.
            > I'm sure it used to work under Windoze. :-(
            >
            > Simon

            Ahhh...

            Not sure what to tell you, then...

            > > --- simon@... wrote:
            > >> I have an Inspiron 8200 running gentoo 2.6.x
            > kernel
            > >> with UDEV. I don't
            > >> seem to be able to read/mount/anything DVDs. CDs
            > >> work just fine. If I
            > >> try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I
            > get:
            > >> no medium found.
            > >>
            > >> Any perls of wisdom?
            > >
            > > First off, you /do/ have /mnt/cdrom set up
            > properly in
            > > your fstab, right?
            > >
            > > Also, I've had problems with 2.6.x if I try to
            > make
            > > ide-cd a module (there's /no/ reason not to build
            > it
            > > into the kernel, imo); you may want to check that
            > a.
            > > you have the module selected and b. it's built-in.
            > >
            > > Hope that helps
            > >
            > > =====
            > > Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
            > > There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
            > > Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
            > > Though down that road we've been so many times...
            > > - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

            > > Yahoo! Mail is new and improved - Check it out!

            > > FAQ: http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > >
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > Terms of Service.
            >

            > --
            > Simon Harris
            > RedHill Consulting, Pty. Ltd.
            > 12/55-67 Batman Street
            > West Melbourne VIC 3003
            > +61 417 505 611
            > http://www.redhillconsulting.com.au

            =====
            Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
            There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
            Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
            Though down that road we've been so many times...
            - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

          • Raju Kurunkad
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
              * simon@... <simon@...> [2004-07-01 19:12]:
              > I have an Inspiron 8200 running gentoo 2.6.x kernel with UDEV. I don't
              > seem to be able to read/mount/anything DVDs. CDs work just fine. If I
              > try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I get: no medium found.
              >
              > Any perls of wisdom?

              I had a similar problem with the MATSHITA UJDA740 on my Inspiron 8200. I was
              able to fix it up upgrading the firmware of the CD-RW/DVD drive. The drive came
              with firmware version 1.00. This problem was fixed by upgrading to firmware
              1.03. I got this info from one of the dell forums. The actual link to the
              firmware for MATSHITA UJDA740 is

              ftp://ftp.dell.com/rmsd/R58198.EXE

              Raju