Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Can't mount/read DVDs

  • Gus Wiening
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
      --- Simon Harris <simon@...>
      wrote:
      > Gus,
      >
      > Thanks for replying. Yes I have fstab etc. all
      > configured. I can read/burn
      > CDs perfectly well but for some reason, DVDs just
      > don't get recognised.
      > I'm sure it used to work under Windoze. :-(
      >
      > Simon

      Ahhh...

      Not sure what to tell you, then...

      =====
      Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
      There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
      Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
      Though down that road we've been so many times...
      - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Simon Harris
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
        Hehehe NP. Thanks anyway.

      • Paul Gratz
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
          Hmmm, Do you have the "udf" file systems compiled into the kernel/module
          loaded. IIRC DVD's are formated with the udf file system not ISO9660.
          Paul

        • Simon Harris
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
            Yeah :-(. The strange thing is the error is "no media". Usually I get
            unknown or incorrect file system type errors.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
              Heres my .config file if that helps

              Note in dmesg the successful mounting of an ISO9660 CDROM and the
              subsequent failure to open the DVD. The message I get is "mount: No medium
              found".

              Cheers,

              Simon

            • Joel Thompson
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                >>If I try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I
                get: no medium found.

                Uh, according to your fstab file, you need to do a
                mount /cdrom and not mount /mnt/cdrom

                Also, in the 2.6 kernel series, you don't need the
                scsi host adapter support; actual atapi support is
                included in the kernel.

                =====
                Joel

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                  I only do mount /cdrom. And I need scsi adapter support for USB storage
                  devices to work.

                  Thanks.

                  On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:06:31 -0700 (PDT), Joel Thompson <joelt49@...>
                  wrote:

                  >>> If I try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I
                  > get: no medium found.
                  >
                  > Uh, according to your fstab file, you need to do a
                  > mount /cdrom and not mount /mnt/cdrom
                  >
                  > Also, in the 2.6 kernel series, you don't need the
                  > scsi host adapter support; actual atapi support is
                  > included in the kernel.
                  >
                  > =====
                  > Joel

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Simon Harris
                  RedHill Consulting, Pty. Ltd.
                  12/55-67 Batman Street
                  West Melbourne VIC 3003
                  +61 417 505 611
                  http://www.redhillconsulting.com.au
                • Douglas S. Oliver
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                    You know, I've been caught by losing my soft link to cdrom in /dev. Check your permissions also. These things can get confused when changing or upgrading. What program are you using to read the DVD? I have to check my settings when I upgrade using xine. -- d

                    > Thanks for replying. Yes I have fstab etc. all
                    > configured. I can read/burn
                    > CDs perfectly well but for some reason, DVDs just
                    > don't get recognised.
                    > I'm sure it used to work under Windoze. :-(
                    >
                    > Simon

                    Ahhh...

                    Not sure what to tell you, then...

                    > > --- simon@... wrote:
                    > >> I have an Inspiron 8200 running gentoo 2.6.x
                    > kernel
                    > >> with UDEV. I don't
                    > >> seem to be able to read/mount/anything DVDs. CDs
                    > >> work just fine. If I
                    > >> try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I
                    > get:
                    > >> no medium found.
                    > >>
                    > >> Any perls of wisdom?
                    > >
                    > > First off, you /do/ have /mnt/cdrom set up
                    > properly in
                    > > your fstab, right?
                    > >
                    > > Also, I've had problems with 2.6.x if I try to
                    > make
                    > > ide-cd a module (there's /no/ reason not to build
                    > it
                    > > into the kernel, imo); you may want to check that
                    > a.
                    > > you have the module selected and b. it's built-in.
                    > >
                    > > Hope that helps
                    > >
                    > > =====
                    > > Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                    > > There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                    > > Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                    > > Though down that road we've been so many times...
                    > > - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

                    > > Yahoo! Mail is new and improved - Check it out!

                    > > FAQ: http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq
                    > >

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    > >
                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > Terms of Service.
                    >

                    > --
                    > Simon Harris
                    > RedHill Consulting, Pty. Ltd.
                    > 12/55-67 Batman Street
                    > West Melbourne VIC 3003
                    > +61 417 505 611
                    > http://www.redhillconsulting.com.au

                    =====
                    Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                    There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                    Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                    Though down that road we've been so many times...
                    - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                  • Raju Kurunkad
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                      * simon@... <simon@...> [2004-07-01 19:12]:
                      > I have an Inspiron 8200 running gentoo 2.6.x kernel with UDEV. I don't
                      > seem to be able to read/mount/anything DVDs. CDs work just fine. If I
                      > try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I get: no medium found.
                      >
                      > Any perls of wisdom?

                      I had a similar problem with the MATSHITA UJDA740 on my Inspiron 8200. I was
                      able to fix it up upgrading the firmware of the CD-RW/DVD drive. The drive came
                      with firmware version 1.00. This problem was fixed by upgrading to firmware
                      1.03. I got this info from one of the dell forums. The actual link to the
                      firmware for MATSHITA UJDA740 is

                      ftp://ftp.dell.com/rmsd/R58198.EXE

                      Raju