Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Can't mount/read DVDs

  • Simon Harris
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
      Gus,

      Thanks for replying. Yes I have fstab etc. all configured. I can read/burn
      CDs perfectly well but for some reason, DVDs just don't get recognised.
      I'm sure it used to work under Windoze. :-(

      Simon

      On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 07:36:04 -0700 (PDT), Gus Wiening
      <web_raptor.geo@...> wrote:

      > --- simon@... wrote:
      >> I have an Inspiron 8200 running gentoo 2.6.x kernel
      >> with UDEV. I don't
      >> seem to be able to read/mount/anything DVDs. CDs
      >> work just fine. If I
      >> try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I get:
      >> no medium found.
      >>
      >> Any perls of wisdom?
      >
      > First off, you /do/ have /mnt/cdrom set up properly in
      > your fstab, right?
      >
      > Also, I've had problems with 2.6.x if I try to make
      > ide-cd a module (there's /no/ reason not to build it
      > into the kernel, imo); you may want to check that a.
      > you have the module selected and b. it's built-in.
      >
      > Hope that helps
      >
      > =====
      > Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
      > There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
      > Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
      > Though down that road we've been so many times...
      > - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Simon Harris
      RedHill Consulting, Pty. Ltd.
      12/55-67 Batman Street
      West Melbourne VIC 3003
      +61 417 505 611
      http://www.redhillconsulting.com.au
    • Gus Wiening
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
        --- Simon Harris <simon@...>
        wrote:
        > Gus,
        >
        > Thanks for replying. Yes I have fstab etc. all
        > configured. I can read/burn
        > CDs perfectly well but for some reason, DVDs just
        > don't get recognised.
        > I'm sure it used to work under Windoze. :-(
        >
        > Simon

        Ahhh...

        Not sure what to tell you, then...

        > > --- simon@... wrote:
        > >> I have an Inspiron 8200 running gentoo 2.6.x
        > kernel
        > >> with UDEV. I don't
        > >> seem to be able to read/mount/anything DVDs. CDs
        > >> work just fine. If I
        > >> try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I
        > get:
        > >> no medium found.
        > >>
        > >> Any perls of wisdom?
        > >
        > > First off, you /do/ have /mnt/cdrom set up
        > properly in
        > > your fstab, right?
        > >
        > > Also, I've had problems with 2.6.x if I try to
        > make
        > > ide-cd a module (there's /no/ reason not to build
        > it
        > > into the kernel, imo); you may want to check that
        > a.
        > > you have the module selected and b. it's built-in.
        > >
        > > Hope that helps
        > >
        > > =====
        > > Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
        > > There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
        > > Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
        > > Though down that road we've been so many times...
        > > - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

        > > Yahoo! Mail is new and improved - Check it out!

        > > FAQ: http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > >
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > Terms of Service.
        >

        > --
        > Simon Harris
        > RedHill Consulting, Pty. Ltd.
        > 12/55-67 Batman Street
        > West Melbourne VIC 3003
        > +61 417 505 611
        > http://www.redhillconsulting.com.au

        =====
        Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
        There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
        Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
        Though down that road we've been so many times...
        - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Simon Harris
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
          Hehehe NP. Thanks anyway.

        • Paul Gratz
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
            Hmmm, Do you have the "udf" file systems compiled into the kernel/module
            loaded. IIRC DVD's are formated with the udf file system not ISO9660.
            Paul

          • Simon Harris
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
              Yeah :-(. The strange thing is the error is "no media". Usually I get
              unknown or incorrect file system type errors.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                Heres my .config file if that helps

                Note in dmesg the successful mounting of an ISO9660 CDROM and the
                subsequent failure to open the DVD. The message I get is "mount: No medium
                found".

                Cheers,

                Simon

              • Joel Thompson
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                  >>If I try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I
                  get: no medium found.

                  Uh, according to your fstab file, you need to do a
                  mount /cdrom and not mount /mnt/cdrom

                  Also, in the 2.6 kernel series, you don't need the
                  scsi host adapter support; actual atapi support is
                  included in the kernel.

                  =====
                  Joel

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                    I only do mount /cdrom. And I need scsi adapter support for USB storage
                    devices to work.

                    Thanks.

                    On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:06:31 -0700 (PDT), Joel Thompson <joelt49@...>
                    wrote:

                    >>> If I try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I
                    > get: no medium found.
                    >
                    > Uh, according to your fstab file, you need to do a
                    > mount /cdrom and not mount /mnt/cdrom
                    >
                    > Also, in the 2.6 kernel series, you don't need the
                    > scsi host adapter support; actual atapi support is
                    > included in the kernel.
                    >
                    > =====
                    > Joel

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    >
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Simon Harris
                    RedHill Consulting, Pty. Ltd.
                    12/55-67 Batman Street
                    West Melbourne VIC 3003
                    +61 417 505 611
                    http://www.redhillconsulting.com.au
                  • Douglas S. Oliver
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                      You know, I've been caught by losing my soft link to cdrom in /dev. Check your permissions also. These things can get confused when changing or upgrading. What program are you using to read the DVD? I have to check my settings when I upgrade using xine. -- d

                      > Thanks for replying. Yes I have fstab etc. all
                      > configured. I can read/burn
                      > CDs perfectly well but for some reason, DVDs just
                      > don't get recognised.
                      > I'm sure it used to work under Windoze. :-(
                      >
                      > Simon

                      Ahhh...

                      Not sure what to tell you, then...

                      > > --- simon@... wrote:
                      > >> I have an Inspiron 8200 running gentoo 2.6.x
                      > kernel
                      > >> with UDEV. I don't
                      > >> seem to be able to read/mount/anything DVDs. CDs
                      > >> work just fine. If I
                      > >> try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I
                      > get:
                      > >> no medium found.
                      > >>
                      > >> Any perls of wisdom?
                      > >
                      > > First off, you /do/ have /mnt/cdrom set up
                      > properly in
                      > > your fstab, right?
                      > >
                      > > Also, I've had problems with 2.6.x if I try to
                      > make
                      > > ide-cd a module (there's /no/ reason not to build
                      > it
                      > > into the kernel, imo); you may want to check that
                      > a.
                      > > you have the module selected and b. it's built-in.
                      > >
                      > > Hope that helps
                      > >
                      > > =====
                      > > Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                      > > There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                      > > Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                      > > Though down that road we've been so many times...
                      > > - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

                      > > Yahoo! Mail is new and improved - Check it out!

                      > > FAQ: http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq
                      > >

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      > >
                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      > Terms of Service.
                      >

                      > --
                      > Simon Harris
                      > RedHill Consulting, Pty. Ltd.
                      > 12/55-67 Batman Street
                      > West Melbourne VIC 3003
                      > +61 417 505 611
                      > http://www.redhillconsulting.com.au

                      =====
                      Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                      There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                      Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                      Though down that road we've been so many times...
                      - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                    • Raju Kurunkad
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                        * simon@... <simon@...> [2004-07-01 19:12]:
                        > I have an Inspiron 8200 running gentoo 2.6.x kernel with UDEV. I don't
                        > seem to be able to read/mount/anything DVDs. CDs work just fine. If I
                        > try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I get: no medium found.
                        >
                        > Any perls of wisdom?

                        I had a similar problem with the MATSHITA UJDA740 on my Inspiron 8200. I was
                        able to fix it up upgrading the firmware of the CD-RW/DVD drive. The drive came
                        with firmware version 1.00. This problem was fixed by upgrading to firmware
                        1.03. I got this info from one of the dell forums. The actual link to the
                        firmware for MATSHITA UJDA740 is

                        ftp://ftp.dell.com/rmsd/R58198.EXE

                        Raju