Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Can't mount/read DVDs

  • Gus Wiening
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
      --- simon@... wrote:
      > I have an Inspiron 8200 running gentoo 2.6.x kernel
      > with UDEV. I don't
      > seem to be able to read/mount/anything DVDs. CDs
      > work just fine. If I
      > try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I get:
      > no medium found.
      >
      > Any perls of wisdom?

      First off, you /do/ have /mnt/cdrom set up properly in
      your fstab, right?

      Also, I've had problems with 2.6.x if I try to make
      ide-cd a module (there's /no/ reason not to build it
      into the kernel, imo); you may want to check that a.
      you have the module selected and b. it's built-in.

      Hope that helps

      =====
      Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
      There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
      Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
      Though down that road we've been so many times...
      - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Simon Harris
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
        Gus,

        Thanks for replying. Yes I have fstab etc. all configured. I can read/burn
        CDs perfectly well but for some reason, DVDs just don't get recognised.
        I'm sure it used to work under Windoze. :-(

        Simon

        On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 07:36:04 -0700 (PDT), Gus Wiening
        <web_raptor.geo@...> wrote:

        > --- simon@... wrote:
        >> I have an Inspiron 8200 running gentoo 2.6.x kernel
        >> with UDEV. I don't
        >> seem to be able to read/mount/anything DVDs. CDs
        >> work just fine. If I
        >> try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I get:
        >> no medium found.
        >>
        >> Any perls of wisdom?
        >
        > First off, you /do/ have /mnt/cdrom set up properly in
        > your fstab, right?
        >
        > Also, I've had problems with 2.6.x if I try to make
        > ide-cd a module (there's /no/ reason not to build it
        > into the kernel, imo); you may want to check that a.
        > you have the module selected and b. it's built-in.
        >
        > Hope that helps
        >
        > =====
        > Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
        > There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
        > Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
        > Though down that road we've been so many times...
        > - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Simon Harris
        RedHill Consulting, Pty. Ltd.
        12/55-67 Batman Street
        West Melbourne VIC 3003
        +61 417 505 611
        http://www.redhillconsulting.com.au
      • Gus Wiening
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
          --- Simon Harris <simon@...>
          wrote:
          > Gus,
          >
          > Thanks for replying. Yes I have fstab etc. all
          > configured. I can read/burn
          > CDs perfectly well but for some reason, DVDs just
          > don't get recognised.
          > I'm sure it used to work under Windoze. :-(
          >
          > Simon

          Ahhh...

          Not sure what to tell you, then...

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
            Hehehe NP. Thanks anyway.

          • Paul Gratz
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
              Hmmm, Do you have the "udf" file systems compiled into the kernel/module
              loaded. IIRC DVD's are formated with the udf file system not ISO9660.
              Paul

            • Simon Harris
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                Yeah :-(. The strange thing is the error is "no media". Usually I get
                unknown or incorrect file system type errors.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                  Heres my .config file if that helps

                  Note in dmesg the successful mounting of an ISO9660 CDROM and the
                  subsequent failure to open the DVD. The message I get is "mount: No medium
                  found".

                  Cheers,

                  Simon

                • Joel Thompson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                    >>If I try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I
                    get: no medium found.

                    Uh, according to your fstab file, you need to do a
                    mount /cdrom and not mount /mnt/cdrom

                    Also, in the 2.6 kernel series, you don't need the
                    scsi host adapter support; actual atapi support is
                    included in the kernel.

                    =====
                    Joel

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                      I only do mount /cdrom. And I need scsi adapter support for USB storage
                      devices to work.

                      Thanks.

                      On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:06:31 -0700 (PDT), Joel Thompson <joelt49@...>
                      wrote:

                      >>> If I try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I
                      > get: no medium found.
                      >
                      > Uh, according to your fstab file, you need to do a
                      > mount /cdrom and not mount /mnt/cdrom
                      >
                      > Also, in the 2.6 kernel series, you don't need the
                      > scsi host adapter support; actual atapi support is
                      > included in the kernel.
                      >
                      > =====
                      > Joel

                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      >
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Simon Harris
                      RedHill Consulting, Pty. Ltd.
                      12/55-67 Batman Street
                      West Melbourne VIC 3003
                      +61 417 505 611
                      http://www.redhillconsulting.com.au
                    • Douglas S. Oliver
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                        You know, I've been caught by losing my soft link to cdrom in /dev. Check your permissions also. These things can get confused when changing or upgrading. What program are you using to read the DVD? I have to check my settings when I upgrade using xine. -- d

                        > Thanks for replying. Yes I have fstab etc. all
                        > configured. I can read/burn
                        > CDs perfectly well but for some reason, DVDs just
                        > don't get recognised.
                        > I'm sure it used to work under Windoze. :-(
                        >
                        > Simon

                        Ahhh...

                        Not sure what to tell you, then...

                        > > --- simon@... wrote:
                        > >> I have an Inspiron 8200 running gentoo 2.6.x
                        > kernel
                        > >> with UDEV. I don't
                        > >> seem to be able to read/mount/anything DVDs. CDs
                        > >> work just fine. If I
                        > >> try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I
                        > get:
                        > >> no medium found.
                        > >>
                        > >> Any perls of wisdom?
                        > >
                        > > First off, you /do/ have /mnt/cdrom set up
                        > properly in
                        > > your fstab, right?
                        > >
                        > > Also, I've had problems with 2.6.x if I try to
                        > make
                        > > ide-cd a module (there's /no/ reason not to build
                        > it
                        > > into the kernel, imo); you may want to check that
                        > a.
                        > > you have the module selected and b. it's built-in.
                        > >
                        > > Hope that helps
                        > >
                        > > =====
                        > > Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                        > > There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                        > > Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                        > > Though down that road we've been so many times...
                        > > - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

                        > > Yahoo! Mail is new and improved - Check it out!

                        > > FAQ: http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq
                        > >

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        > >
                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        > Terms of Service.
                        >

                        > --
                        > Simon Harris
                        > RedHill Consulting, Pty. Ltd.
                        > 12/55-67 Batman Street
                        > West Melbourne VIC 3003
                        > +61 417 505 611
                        > http://www.redhillconsulting.com.au

                        =====
                        Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                        There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                        Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                        Though down that road we've been so many times...
                        - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                      • Raju Kurunkad
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                          * simon@... <simon@...> [2004-07-01 19:12]:
                          > I have an Inspiron 8200 running gentoo 2.6.x kernel with UDEV. I don't
                          > seem to be able to read/mount/anything DVDs. CDs work just fine. If I
                          > try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I get: no medium found.
                          >
                          > Any perls of wisdom?

                          I had a similar problem with the MATSHITA UJDA740 on my Inspiron 8200. I was
                          able to fix it up upgrading the firmware of the CD-RW/DVD drive. The drive came
                          with firmware version 1.00. This problem was fixed by upgrading to firmware
                          1.03. I got this info from one of the dell forums. The actual link to the
                          firmware for MATSHITA UJDA740 is

                          ftp://ftp.dell.com/rmsd/R58198.EXE

                          Raju