Can't mount/read DVDs

  • simon@redhillconsulting.com.au
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
      I have an Inspiron 8200 running gentoo 2.6.x kernel with UDEV. I don't
      seem to be able to read/mount/anything DVDs. CDs work just fine. If I
      try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I get: no medium found.

      Any perls of wisdom?

      Cheers,

      Simon
    • Gus Wiening
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
        --- simon@... wrote:
        > I have an Inspiron 8200 running gentoo 2.6.x kernel
        > with UDEV. I don't
        > seem to be able to read/mount/anything DVDs. CDs
        > work just fine. If I
        > try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I get:
        > no medium found.
        >
        > Any perls of wisdom?

        First off, you /do/ have /mnt/cdrom set up properly in
        your fstab, right?

        Also, I've had problems with 2.6.x if I try to make
        ide-cd a module (there's /no/ reason not to build it
        into the kernel, imo); you may want to check that a.
        you have the module selected and b. it's built-in.

        Hope that helps

        =====
        Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
        There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
        Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
        Though down that road we've been so many times...
        - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Simon Harris
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
          Gus,

          Thanks for replying. Yes I have fstab etc. all configured. I can read/burn
          CDs perfectly well but for some reason, DVDs just don't get recognised.
          I'm sure it used to work under Windoze. :-(

          Simon

          On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 07:36:04 -0700 (PDT), Gus Wiening
          <web_raptor.geo@...> wrote:

          > --- simon@... wrote:
          >> I have an Inspiron 8200 running gentoo 2.6.x kernel
          >> with UDEV. I don't
          >> seem to be able to read/mount/anything DVDs. CDs
          >> work just fine. If I
          >> try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I get:
          >> no medium found.
          >>
          >> Any perls of wisdom?
          >
          > First off, you /do/ have /mnt/cdrom set up properly in
          > your fstab, right?
          >
          > Also, I've had problems with 2.6.x if I try to make
          > ide-cd a module (there's /no/ reason not to build it
          > into the kernel, imo); you may want to check that a.
          > you have the module selected and b. it's built-in.
          >
          > Hope that helps
          >
          > =====
          > Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
          > There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
          > Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
          > Though down that road we've been so many times...
          > - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Simon Harris
          RedHill Consulting, Pty. Ltd.
          12/55-67 Batman Street
          West Melbourne VIC 3003
          +61 417 505 611
          http://www.redhillconsulting.com.au
        • Gus Wiening
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
            --- Simon Harris <simon@...>
            wrote:
            > Gus,
            >
            > Thanks for replying. Yes I have fstab etc. all
            > configured. I can read/burn
            > CDs perfectly well but for some reason, DVDs just
            > don't get recognised.
            > I'm sure it used to work under Windoze. :-(
            >
            > Simon

            Ahhh...

            Not sure what to tell you, then...

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
              Hehehe NP. Thanks anyway.

            • Paul Gratz
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                Hmmm, Do you have the "udf" file systems compiled into the kernel/module
                loaded. IIRC DVD's are formated with the udf file system not ISO9660.
                Paul

              • Simon Harris
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                  Yeah :-(. The strange thing is the error is "no media". Usually I get
                  unknown or incorrect file system type errors.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                    Heres my .config file if that helps

                    Note in dmesg the successful mounting of an ISO9660 CDROM and the
                    subsequent failure to open the DVD. The message I get is "mount: No medium
                    found".

                    Cheers,

                    Simon

                  • Joel Thompson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                      >>If I try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I
                      get: no medium found.

                      Uh, according to your fstab file, you need to do a
                      mount /cdrom and not mount /mnt/cdrom

                      Also, in the 2.6 kernel series, you don't need the
                      scsi host adapter support; actual atapi support is
                      included in the kernel.

                      =====
                      Joel

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                        I only do mount /cdrom. And I need scsi adapter support for USB storage
                        devices to work.

                        Thanks.

                        On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:06:31 -0700 (PDT), Joel Thompson <joelt49@...>
                        wrote:

                        >>> If I try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I
                        > get: no medium found.
                        >
                        > Uh, according to your fstab file, you need to do a
                        > mount /cdrom and not mount /mnt/cdrom
                        >
                        > Also, in the 2.6 kernel series, you don't need the
                        > scsi host adapter support; actual atapi support is
                        > included in the kernel.
                        >
                        > =====
                        > Joel

                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Simon Harris
                        RedHill Consulting, Pty. Ltd.
                        12/55-67 Batman Street
                        West Melbourne VIC 3003
                        +61 417 505 611
                        http://www.redhillconsulting.com.au
                      • Douglas S. Oliver
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                          You know, I've been caught by losing my soft link to cdrom in /dev. Check your permissions also. These things can get confused when changing or upgrading. What program are you using to read the DVD? I have to check my settings when I upgrade using xine. -- d

                          > Thanks for replying. Yes I have fstab etc. all
                          > configured. I can read/burn
                          > CDs perfectly well but for some reason, DVDs just
                          > don't get recognised.
                          > I'm sure it used to work under Windoze. :-(
                          >
                          > Simon

                          Ahhh...

                          Not sure what to tell you, then...

                          > > --- simon@... wrote:
                          > >> I have an Inspiron 8200 running gentoo 2.6.x
                          > kernel
                          > >> with UDEV. I don't
                          > >> seem to be able to read/mount/anything DVDs. CDs
                          > >> work just fine. If I
                          > >> try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I
                          > get:
                          > >> no medium found.
                          > >>
                          > >> Any perls of wisdom?
                          > >
                          > > First off, you /do/ have /mnt/cdrom set up
                          > properly in
                          > > your fstab, right?
                          > >
                          > > Also, I've had problems with 2.6.x if I try to
                          > make
                          > > ide-cd a module (there's /no/ reason not to build
                          > it
                          > > into the kernel, imo); you may want to check that
                          > a.
                          > > you have the module selected and b. it's built-in.
                          > >
                          > > Hope that helps
                          > >
                          > > =====
                          > > Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                          > > There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                          > > Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                          > > Though down that road we've been so many times...
                          > > - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

                          > > Yahoo! Mail is new and improved - Check it out!

                          > > FAQ: http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq
                          > >

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                          > >
                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          > Terms of Service.
                          >

                          > --
                          > Simon Harris
                          > RedHill Consulting, Pty. Ltd.
                          > 12/55-67 Batman Street
                          > West Melbourne VIC 3003
                          > +61 417 505 611
                          > http://www.redhillconsulting.com.au

                          =====
                          Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
                          There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
                          Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
                          Though down that road we've been so many times...
                          - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

                          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                        • Raju Kurunkad
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
                            * simon@... <simon@...> [2004-07-01 19:12]:
                            > I have an Inspiron 8200 running gentoo 2.6.x kernel with UDEV. I don't
                            > seem to be able to read/mount/anything DVDs. CDs work just fine. If I
                            > try and m ount a dvd using mount /mnt/cdrom I get: no medium found.
                            >
                            > Any perls of wisdom?

                            I had a similar problem with the MATSHITA UJDA740 on my Inspiron 8200. I was
                            able to fix it up upgrading the firmware of the CD-RW/DVD drive. The drive came
                            with firmware version 1.00. This problem was fixed by upgrading to firmware
                            1.03. I got this info from one of the dell forums. The actual link to the
                            firmware for MATSHITA UJDA740 is

                            ftp://ftp.dell.com/rmsd/R58198.EXE

                            Raju