Wifi on my Dell Cpx with a Proxim Orinoco 8470WD card

  • kiltedlad202020
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2004
      How I got Wifi Working.

      First, I had to determine the chipset of my Wifi NIC. I have a Proxim
      Orinoco 802.11b/g Gold Card model 8470-WD.

      Doing an 'lspci' gave me the following...
      02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212
      802.11abg NIC (rev 01)

      This was a good start but I wanted more.

      Doing an 'lspci -n' gave me the following...
      02:00.0 Class 0200: 168c:0013 (rev 01)

      This is even better.

      According to
      http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/supported_chipsets.html, my card is
      supported by the MADwifi drivers.

      I'd read other places on the web that said I should use MADwifi and
      I'd tried it once already but didn't have any success. As with many
      things Linux, I read, tinker, read some more, tinker some more, and
      then enjoy success.

      I downloaded RPMs for MADwifi from atrpms.net. What doesn't seem to
      appear anywhere is the need to download the atrpms package.
      Specifically, I downloaded the atrpms-55-1.rhfc2.at.i386.rpm package.
      This package apparently provides runtime support for atrpm packages.
      Once I'd installed this package, I was able to install the
      madwifi-0.8.5.4-6.rhfc2.at.i386.rpm.

      Finally, a small measure of success! My system could 'see' my Wifi NIC.
      Next, I tried an 'ipup ath0'. I got nothing. Drats! What to do? Ah,
      yes. I need some kind of configuration... I went to
      /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. I cp'ed the ifcfg-eth0 file to
      ifcfg-ath0 (cp ifcfg-eth0 ifcfg-ath0) but knew I needed more than just
      this to get things up and running. On the MADwifi FAQ
      (http://www.mattfoster.clara.co.uk/madwifi-7.htm) page there were some
      scripting examples. Below is a sample of my ifcfg-ath0 file.

      # Proxim Orinoco Gold 8470
      DEVICE=ath0
      ONBOOT=yes
      BOOTPROTO=dhcp
      WIRELESS=yes
      MODE=managed
      ESSID=YOUR_SSID_GOES_HERE
      CHANNEL=6
      HWADDR=00:20:A6:50:E5:AC
      USERCTL=yes
      PEERDNS=yes
      TYPE=Ethernet
      IPV6INIT=no

      Once I hobbled this together, I did a '/etc/init.d/network restart' to
      restart networking and we got an IP and were off and running.

      I'm not an expert by any means, but I did want to share a few tips
      here to help others. Some of the info I threw in above wasn't so
      obvious from what I'd been reading online. Maybe this will help
      someone else...