Re: How to wireless with Linux?

  • Joey
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
      I see your point.
      Problem is I already had the cards for Windows.
      And when I go to places like Best Buy and Fry's inquiring about
      Linux compatible cards, I get a blank stare.
      Thanks for your help.
      Joe

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alan Pope
      <alan.pope@g...> wrote:
      > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:03:55 -0000, Joey <conyankee@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks.
      > > I did a whole lot of googling and came up with major ambiguity.
      > > I will look at you link though.
      > > Thanks for the help.
      > > Why is this so difficult is still my question.
      > >

      > heh, and my answer is "it isn't" (if you do your research *before*
      you
      > buy the card, and buy one that is known to work in Linux with few
      or
      > no problems).
      >
      > As has been said before the main reason for all this hassle is the
      > lack of technical documentation about the devices from the
      > manufacturer, and the fact that manufacturers change specifications
      > (and chipsets) of devices with no warning.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Al.
    • Ron Lauzon
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
        Joey wrote:
        > I see your point.
        > Problem is I already had the cards for Windows.
        > And when I go to places like Best Buy and Fry's inquiring about
        > Linux compatible cards, I get a blank stare.

        Yes, I use that ignorance to get the sales people to stop bothering me.

        Meddlesome sales person: Are you looking for a laptop? We have a nice
        one....
        Me: Yes, that's a nice laptop. But I want one with Mandrake Linux 10
        pre-installed.
        Meddlesome sales person: *blank stare* Uh, we don't carry that.
        Me: OK. How about a laptop without Windows on it?
        Meddlesome sales person: *blank stare* Uh, we can't do that.
        Me: Then I guess I need to look elsewhere for a laptop.
        Meddlesome sales person: *walks away in a daze, his Microsoft
        brainwashing conflicting with reality.*

        --
        Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
        http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net

        DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

        "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
        audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
        sort of job."
        - Ann Coulter

        Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
        Running Mandrake Linux 9.2
      • Joey
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
          LOL!!!!!!
          Thanks for the laugh.
          I needed that!
          Life is too short for Linux compatible wireless cards.
          Joe :(

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Ron Lauzon <rlauzon@a...>
          wrote:
          > Joey wrote:
          > > I see your point.
          > > Problem is I already had the cards for Windows.
          > > And when I go to places like Best Buy and Fry's inquiring about
          > > Linux compatible cards, I get a blank stare.
          >
          > Yes, I use that ignorance to get the sales people to stop
          bothering me.

          > Meddlesome sales person: Are you looking for a laptop? We have a
          nice
          > one....
          > Me: Yes, that's a nice laptop. But I want one with Mandrake Linux
          10
          > pre-installed.
          > Meddlesome sales person: *blank stare* Uh, we don't carry that.
          > Me: OK. How about a laptop without Windows on it?
          > Meddlesome sales person: *blank stare* Uh, we can't do that.
          > Me: Then I guess I need to look elsewhere for a laptop.
          > Meddlesome sales person: *walks away in a daze, his Microsoft
          > brainwashing conflicting with reality.*
          >
          > --
          > Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
          > http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net
          >
          > DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening
          >
          > "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
          > audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
          > sort of job."
          > - Ann Coulter
          >
          > Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
          > Running Mandrake Linux 9.2
        • Alan Pope
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
            On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:18:52 -0000, Joey <conyankee@...> wrote:

            > I see your point.
            > Problem is I already had the cards for Windows.
            > And when I go to places like Best Buy and Fry's inquiring about
            > Linux compatible cards, I get a blank stare.
            > Thanks for your help.
            > Joe

            Indeed, that does make it tricky. I have a similar problem with an HP
            scanner that works under Windows, but doesn't work under Linux. I have
            a few options (the same as you). I could sell the scanner and buy
            another one. I could keep the scanner and hope that in the future that
            it is supported. Alternatively I could learn C and try to develop a
            scanner driver myself! :D. With an unsupported wireless card you could
            possibly go to an independent computer store and trade it in for one
            that you know is supported. When I was in the US a few weeks ago a
            friend showed me Frys and Best Buys for new stuff but also the smaller
            stores like Action Computer Supplies, who trade in second hand
            equipment. Maybe you might want to try them.

            What I'd definately suggest is further research online. Talk to people
            who already have Linux. Possibly get in touch with a local Linux user
            group. Chat to people online - on IRC perhaps. Attend a meet, and talk
            to people in person about their experience with wireless.

            Hope that helps.
            Cheers,
            Al.
          • Joey
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
              Some good ideas.
              Thanks!
              <alan.pope@g...> wrote:
              > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:18:52 -0000, Joey <conyankee@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I see your point.
              > > Problem is I already had the cards for Windows.
              > > And when I go to places like Best Buy and Fry's inquiring about
              > > Linux compatible cards, I get a blank stare.
              > > Thanks for your help.
              > > Joe
              > >

              > Indeed, that does make it tricky. I have a similar problem with an
              HP
              > scanner that works under Windows, but doesn't work under Linux. I
              have
              > a few options (the same as you). I could sell the scanner and buy
              > another one. I could keep the scanner and hope that in the future
              that
              > it is supported. Alternatively I could learn C and try to develop a
              > scanner driver myself! :D. With an unsupported wireless card you
              could
              > possibly go to an independent computer store and trade it in for
              one
              > that you know is supported. When I was in the US a few weeks ago a
              > friend showed me Frys and Best Buys for new stuff but also the
              smaller
              > stores like Action Computer Supplies, who trade in second hand
              > equipment. Maybe you might want to try them.
              >
              > What I'd definately suggest is further research online. Talk to
              people
              > who already have Linux. Possibly get in touch with a local Linux
              user
              > group. Chat to people online - on IRC perhaps. Attend a meet, and
              talk
              > to people in person about their experience with wireless.
              >
              > Hope that helps.
              > Cheers,
              > Al.
            • Scott Evans
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                Cisco Systems as really stepped up to support Linux
                aswell. The Cisco Aironet 340 and 350 cards work well
                under linux. The process of getting it to work is not
                a trivial process, but alot easier then some. They
                are expensive thou ($100-$130 depends on where you
                look). You can get some on ebay however for under 50
                bucks.

                Just my 2 cents.

                Scott

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              • turkeynip
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                  As opposed to spending even $50 bucks for a wi-fi card, why not look
                  at the Xterasys XN-2422g...I bought mine about a month ago(~$28 USD).
                  I've documented how to get it working in Linux (and it works more
                  reliably than when I'm in WinXP). It just uses ndiswrapper---install
                  the ndiswrapper pkg:

                  >tar xzvf ndiswrapper-0.7.tar.gz -C /directory/where/contents/will/go
                  >cd /directory/where/contents/will/go

                  (as root)
                  >make install

                  install the windows driver
                  >ndiswrapper -i </path/to/inffile.inf>

                  if you run (as root)
                  > ndiswrapper -l

                  you should see your installed drivers..:
                  Installed ndis drivers:
                  tnet1130 present

                  You'll then need to add some config files, and edit some existing
                  ones, which I've documented at
                  http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~mas582/Linux/hardware.htm#wi-fi

                  Just make sure to change the parameters to they meet your card (I note
                  in the config files which ones these are)....and you should be all
                  set.

                  Best of luck, if you don't wish to buy the new card, you can try this
                  with your current cards, and see if it works.

                  Mike

                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Scott Evans
                  <munkey1979@y...> wrote:
                  > Cisco Systems as really stepped up to support Linux
                  > aswell. The Cisco Aironet 340 and 350 cards work well
                  > under linux. The process of getting it to work is not
                  > a trivial process, but alot easier then some. They
                  > are expensive thou ($100-$130 depends on where you
                  > look). You can get some on ebay however for under 50
                  > bucks.
                  >
                  > Just my 2 cents.
                  >
                  > Scott

                  > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                • Douglas S. Oliver
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                    Hi Joey, I've read through the replies to your post, and yes most folks have problems. In part it's because most new laptops come with newer 802.11g or something like that cards that work at a faster transfer rate. Only slowly are the specs for these new cards getting out. If you can afford the money, Linuxant has a program designed to use the Windows drivers. This is of course what the ndiswrapper program does, but the Linuxant program comes with support. I think it's still around $25 USD. I got fed up and got the Linuxant program. It works well. -- d

                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                      I have been using ndiswrapper for about 4 months with no trouble on my
                      linksys ver 4 PCMCIA card and linksys wireless router. I tried a lot of
                      other 'native' drivers for linux first and I tried the ndiswrapper it worked
                      great, If it had not I was going to use the linuxant driver.

                      Martin D. White
                      http://www.mindspring.com/~martinwhite
                    • Joey
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                        Thank you!
                        I'll try it.

                        In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "turkeynip" <mas582@p...>
                        wrote:
                        > As opposed to spending even $50 bucks for a wi-fi card, why not look
                        > at the Xterasys XN-2422g...I bought mine about a month ago(~$28
                        USD).
                        > I've documented how to get it working in Linux (and it works more
                        > reliably than when I'm in WinXP). It just uses ndiswrapper---install
                        > the ndiswrapper pkg:
                        >
                        > >tar xzvf ndiswrapper-0.7.tar.gz -
                        C /directory/where/contents/will/go
                        > >cd /directory/where/contents/will/go
                        >
                        > (as root)
                        > >make install
                        >
                        > install the windows driver
                        > >ndiswrapper -i </path/to/inffile.inf>
                        >
                        > if you run (as root)
                        > > ndiswrapper -l
                        >
                        > you should see your installed drivers..:
                        > Installed ndis drivers:
                        > tnet1130 present
                        >
                        > You'll then need to add some config files, and edit some existing
                        > ones, which I've documented at
                        > http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~mas582/Linux/hardware.htm#wi-fi
                        >
                        > Just make sure to change the parameters to they meet your card (I
                        note
                        > in the config files which ones these are)....and you should be all
                        > set.
                        >
                        > Best of luck, if you don't wish to buy the new card, you can try
                        this
                        > with your current cards, and see if it works.
                        >
                        > Mike
                        >

                        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Scott Evans
                        > <munkey1979@y...> wrote:
                        > > Cisco Systems as really stepped up to support Linux
                        > > aswell. The Cisco Aironet 340 and 350 cards work well
                        > > under linux. The process of getting it to work is not
                        > > a trivial process, but alot easier then some. They
                        > > are expensive thou ($100-$130 depends on where you
                        > > look). You can get some on ebay however for under 50
                        > > bucks.
                        > >
                        > > Just my 2 cents.
                        > >
                        > > Scott

                      • Joey
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                          Thanks for the tip about Linuxant.
                          Both my cards are 802.11b, not g.
                          Joe

                          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas S. Oliver"
                          <dsoliver@e...> wrote:
                          > Hi Joey, I've read through the replies to your post, and yes most
                          folks have problems. In part it's because most new laptops come with
                          newer 802.11g or something like that cards that work at a faster
                          transfer rate. Only slowly are the specs for these new cards getting
                          out. If you can afford the money, Linuxant has a program designed to
                          use the Windows drivers. This is of course what the ndiswrapper
                          program does, but the Linuxant program comes with support. I think
                          it's still around $25 USD. I got fed up and got the Linuxant program.
                          It works well. -- d

                        • Joey
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                            Thanks. I think I'll try the ndiswrapper.
                            I didn't even think about the router. Do I have to change that too?
                            And then will it still work for Windows?

                            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Martin D. White"

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                              The router should not matter....(most of the time)....I think someone
                              mentioned a Netgear router or something, and someone mentioned a
                              Linksys....I've got a Netgear (the B version, since I didn't want to
                              pay as much for the G just yet...)

                              But you'll need to make sure the router is configured properly. You
                              should probably have encription on your wi-fi card...(I don't...but
                              don't follow my example)...so this will require slightly more work in
                              Linux, but if you want me to figure it out, I can do that (I should
                              anyway)...

                              Make sure your router is set to only accept certain wireless mac
                              addresses though...when I first moved into my apartment people were
                              either stealing, or mistakenly connecting to my router (and there-by
                              getting free internet)...I'm all for free, but not stealing...

                              Anyway, let me (or of course the group) with setting up encription or
                              router settings (and please include a router model, and model #).

                              Mike

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 27, 2004
                                Thank, Mike.
                                I'll keep you posted.

                                wrote:
                                > The router should not matter....(most of the time)....I think
                                someone
                                > mentioned a Netgear router or something, and someone mentioned a
                                > Linksys....I've got a Netgear (the B version, since I didn't want
                                > pay as much for the G just yet...)
                                >
                                > But you'll need to make sure the router is configured properly. You
                                > should probably have encription on your wi-fi card...(I don't...but
                                > don't follow my example)...so this will require slightly more work
                                in
                                > Linux, but if you want me to figure it out, I can do that (I should
                                > anyway)...
                                >
                                > Make sure your router is set to only accept certain wireless mac
                                > addresses though...when I first moved into my apartment people were
                                > either stealing, or mistakenly connecting to my router (and there-
                                by
                                > getting free internet)...I'm all for free, but not stealing...
                                >
                                > Anyway, let me (or of course the group) with setting up encription
                                or
                                > router settings (and please include a router model, and model #).
                                >
                                > Mike
                                >
                                > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Joey" <conyankee@y...>
                                wrote:
                                > > Thanks. I think I'll try the ndiswrapper.
                                > > I didn't even think about the router. Do I have to change that
                                too?
                                > > And then will it still work for Windows?
                                > >

                                > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Martin D. White"
                                > > <martinwhite@m...> wrote:
                                > > > I have been using ndiswrapper for about 4 months with no
                                trouble on
                                > > my
                                > > > linksys ver 4 PCMCIA card and linksys wireless router. I tried
                                > > lot of
                                > > > other 'native' drivers for linux first and I tried the
                                ndiswrapper
                                > > it worked
                                > > > great, If it had not I was going to use the linuxant driver.
                                > > >
                                > > > Martin D. White
                                > > > http://www.mindspring.com/~martinwhite
                              • Thomas McCarthy
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 27, 2004
                                  ndiswrapper was a little bit complicated to get running, but it's really
                                  not all that bad. However, you should probably take that statement with
                                  a grain of salt because I was never able to get it properly running and
                                  connected to the internet. Instead what I used was the linuxant driver.
                                  It too is a wrapper that allows you to use the windows drivers, but I
                                  found to be easier to install. It's proprietary though. It costs $20.
                                  Well worth it though, in my opinion.

                                  I don't know for sure why nobody has written a driver for the truemobile
                                  cards (at least to my knowledge there is no such driver), but my
                                  understanding is that the company that makes the cards isn't open about
                                  the inner workings of the cards and hasn't provided a driver for them.
                                  It makes it difficult to write a driver. Not impossible, I guess, but
                                  difficult. Not all linux users have to jump through these hoops to get
                                  their wireless cards working. In fact, when the card is supported it
                                  seems rather trivial. It's just a little complicated sometimes depending
                                  on the hardware issues involved. I wish I had done better checking of
                                  the wireless card I chose before I bought it because had I done so I
                                  would have purchased a card that had better support under linux. If I
                                  had done that I wouldn't have had to jump through the same hoops you're
                                  jumping through now.

                                  Tom

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 30, 2004
                                    Thanks for the reply, Tom.
                                    It seems that the Dell Trumobile 1180 is not supported by Linux, but
                                    the 1150 is. I, of course have the 1180.
                                    As far as the Airlink in concerned, it's not supported period. But
                                    hey, it was on sale at Fry's for $14.99. I guess I can't expect much
                                    for that price. And it does work fine in Windoze.
                                    I'm going to the try the ndiswrapper.
                                    Rest assured that I'll be back here asking how to do it.
                                    Thanks for all your help,
                                    Joe

                                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Thomas McCarthy

                                  • Christopher TenHarmsel
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 6, 2004
                                      Figured I'd give my $0.02 cents.

                                      Get a Linksys WPC11 ver 3. They work great, have been out for a while
                                      (so you can probably get one cheaply) and the drivers (especially the
                                      newest beta one) support the Linux Wireless Extensions pretty well.

                                      -Chris

                                      On Saturday 26 June 2004 15:14, Douglas S. Oliver wrote:
                                      > Hi Joey, I've read through the replies to your post, and yes most
                                      > folks have problems. In part it's because most new laptops come with
                                      > newer 802.11g or something like that cards that work at a faster
                                      > transfer rate. Only slowly are the specs for these new cards getting
                                      > out. If you can afford the money, Linuxant has a program designed to
                                      > use the Windows drivers. This is of course what the ndiswrapper
                                      > program does, but the Linuxant program comes with support. I think
                                      > it's still around $25 USD. I got fed up and got the Linuxant program.
                                      > It works well. -- d

                                      Chris TenHarmsel
                                      Software Journeyman
                                      Atomic Object, LLC