How to wireless with Linux?

  • Joey
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 25, 2004
      OK. I have a Dell Inpsiron 8200 P4M 640 ddrram. I'm dual booting
      WinXP and Fedora. On the linux end I also tried Knoppix 3.4 off the
      CD. The problem is that I can't use my wireless connection. I have a
      Dell Truemobile 1180 PC mini card and an Airlink awlc011 pcmcia
      card. Both work under windows but not under Linux.
      I searched around for fixes, but it's all greek (or linux talk) to
      me. Any suggestions. Do I have to buy a different pcmcia wireless
      card? If so, which one. Or would changing to a different distro work?

      I also have a Dell Latitude CPAi PII that runs Win98SE. Same
      wireless card problem there too. I use the Airlink without trouble
      on Windows, but when I boot with the Knoppix CD I can't get a
      connection.

      Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Joe
    • Joel Thompson
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 25, 2004
        Wireless support in linux is flaky at best. Your best
        bet is ndiswrapper: http://ndiswrapper.sf.net
        Basically, it lets you use your binary Windows driver
        under linux. It's not perfect, but I would give it a try.

        =====
        Joel

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Joey
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 25, 2004
          Thanks for the reply.
          So do all Linux users jump through these hoops just to use a
          wireless card?
          I looked at the ndiswrapper site. Brain surgery looks easier.
          With all the worldwide Linux support, why can't some one come up
          with a simple driver?
          Is it just me, or is there something wrong with this picture?

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Joel Thompson
          <joelt49@y...> wrote:
          > Wireless support in linux is flaky at best. Your best
          > bet is ndiswrapper: http://ndiswrapper.sf.net
          > Basically, it lets you use your binary Windows driver
          > under linux. It's not perfect, but I would give it a try.
          >
          > =====
          > Joel

          > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Ron Lauzon
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
            Joel Thompson wrote:
            > Wireless support in linux is flaky at best. Your best
            > bet is ndiswrapper: http://ndiswrapper.sf.net
            > Basically, it lets you use your binary Windows driver
            > under linux. It's not perfect, but I would give it a try.

            ndiswrapper isn't much better on the flaky-ness scale.

            I tried it with several network cards and while the wrapper did what it
            was supposed to, the driver always exploded.

            Of course, the network never came up either.

            --
            Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
            http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net

            DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

            "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
            audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
            sort of job."
            - Ann Coulter

            Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
            Running Mandrake Linux 9.2
          • Ron Lauzon
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
              Joey wrote:
              > Thanks for the reply.
              > So do all Linux users jump through these hoops just to use a
              > wireless card?
              > I looked at the ndiswrapper site. Brain surgery looks easier.
              > With all the worldwide Linux support, why can't some one come up
              > with a simple driver?
              > Is it just me, or is there something wrong with this picture?

              Because the network card manufacturers won't publish their specs and
              they continuely change the chipsets they use.

              Mandrake 10 runs just fine on my old Dell Inspiron 7000. But issues
              with getting the wireless card working made me reinstall Win98 (which
              installed harder and took longer than installing Mandrake 10).

              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                Well I have 98 on the older laptop. Still can't get a wireless
                connection though. What card did you use?

                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Ron Lauzon <rlauzon@a...>
                wrote:
                > Joey wrote:
                > > Thanks for the reply.
                > > So do all Linux users jump through these hoops just to use a
                > > wireless card?
                > > I looked at the ndiswrapper site. Brain surgery looks easier.
                > > With all the worldwide Linux support, why can't some one come up
                > > with a simple driver?
                > > Is it just me, or is there something wrong with this picture?
                >
                > Because the network card manufacturers won't publish their specs
                and
                > they continuely change the chipsets they use.
                >
                > Mandrake 10 runs just fine on my old Dell Inspiron 7000. But
                issues
                > with getting the wireless card working made me reinstall Win98
                (which
                > installed harder and took longer than installing Mandrake 10).
                >
                > --
                > Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
                > http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net
                >
                > DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening
                >
                > "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
                > audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
                > sort of job."
                > - Ann Coulter
                >
                > Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
                > Running Mandrake Linux 9.2
              • Alan Pope
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                  On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 06:34:08 -0000, Joey <conyankee@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the reply.
                  > So do all Linux users jump through these hoops just to use a
                  > wireless card?

                  No. I installed an access point last week, put my orinoco gold card in
                  my Linux 2.6.7 Dell Laptop and it "Just Worked". No faffing at all. I
                  just set the ESSID and off I went.

                  > I looked at the ndiswrapper site. Brain surgery looks easier.
                  > With all the worldwide Linux support, why can't some one come up
                  > with a simple driver?
                  > Is it just me, or is there something wrong with this picture?

                  There are drivers for *some* cards. If you're willing to buy a card
                  based mainly on the "does it work under Linux?" question then you'll
                  be fine.

                  Cheers,
                  Al.
                • Joey
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                    "No. I installed an access point last week, put my orinoco gold card
                    in
                    my Linux 2.6.7 Dell Laptop and it "Just Worked". No faffing at all. I
                    just set the ESSID and off I went."

                    Explain please. Do I need an Orinoco gold card? Do I need a
                    different access point?
                    I'm using a Netgear wireless router.

                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alan Pope
                    <alan.pope@g...> wrote:
                    > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 06:34:08 -0000, Joey <conyankee@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for the reply.
                    > > So do all Linux users jump through these hoops just to use a
                    > > wireless card?
                    >
                    > No. I installed an access point last week, put my orinoco gold
                    card in
                    > my Linux 2.6.7 Dell Laptop and it "Just Worked". No faffing at
                    all. I
                    > just set the ESSID and off I went.
                    >
                    > > I looked at the ndiswrapper site. Brain surgery looks easier.
                    > > With all the worldwide Linux support, why can't some one come up
                    > > with a simple driver?
                    > > Is it just me, or is there something wrong with this picture?
                    > >

                    > There are drivers for *some* cards. If you're willing to buy a card
                    > based mainly on the "does it work under Linux?" question then
                    you'll
                    > be fine.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > Al.
                  • Alan Pope
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                      I'm not suggesting that you should buy an orinoco wireless pcmcia
                      card. I am just saying that some cards *do* work out of the box with
                      very little configuration, and possibly even little or no effort at
                      all. The orinoco card is an example of a well supported wireless
                      device.

                      I would suggest some research on google first using the model numbers
                      of the devices you have as the search criteria. Also have a look at
                      the Linux Wireless How-To
                      http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/

                      Cheers,
                      Al.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                        Joey wrote:
                        > Well I have 98 on the older laptop. Still can't get a wireless
                        > connection though. What card did you use?

                        Right now, I have a Linksys card. WPC11 version 4.

                        According to the web, if I could have gotten a version 3 card, it would
                        have worked with Linux.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                          Thanks.
                          I did a whole lot of googling and came up with major ambiguity.
                          I will look at you link though.
                          Thanks for the help.
                          Why is this so difficult is still my question.

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                            On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:03:55 -0000, Joey <conyankee@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks.
                            > I did a whole lot of googling and came up with major ambiguity.
                            > I will look at you link though.
                            > Thanks for the help.
                            > Why is this so difficult is still my question.

                            heh, and my answer is "it isn't" (if you do your research *before* you
                            buy the card, and buy one that is known to work in Linux with few or
                            no problems).

                            As has been said before the main reason for all this hassle is the
                            lack of technical documentation about the devices from the
                            manufacturer, and the fact that manufacturers change specifications
                            (and chipsets) of devices with no warning.

                            Cheers,
                            Al.
                          • Joey
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                              I see your point.
                              Problem is I already had the cards for Windows.
                              And when I go to places like Best Buy and Fry's inquiring about
                              Linux compatible cards, I get a blank stare.
                              Thanks for your help.
                              Joe

                              <alan.pope@g...> wrote:
                              > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:03:55 -0000, Joey <conyankee@y...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Thanks.
                              > > I did a whole lot of googling and came up with major ambiguity.
                              > > I will look at you link though.
                              > > Thanks for the help.
                              > > Why is this so difficult is still my question.
                              > >

                              > heh, and my answer is "it isn't" (if you do your research *before*
                              you
                              > buy the card, and buy one that is known to work in Linux with few
                              or
                              > no problems).
                              >
                              > As has been said before the main reason for all this hassle is the
                              > lack of technical documentation about the devices from the
                              > manufacturer, and the fact that manufacturers change specifications
                              > (and chipsets) of devices with no warning.
                              >
                              > Cheers,
                              > Al.
                            • Ron Lauzon
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                                Joey wrote:
                                > I see your point.
                                > Problem is I already had the cards for Windows.
                                > And when I go to places like Best Buy and Fry's inquiring about
                                > Linux compatible cards, I get a blank stare.

                                Yes, I use that ignorance to get the sales people to stop bothering me.

                                Meddlesome sales person: Are you looking for a laptop? We have a nice
                                one....
                                Me: Yes, that's a nice laptop. But I want one with Mandrake Linux 10
                                pre-installed.
                                Meddlesome sales person: *blank stare* Uh, we don't carry that.
                                Me: OK. How about a laptop without Windows on it?
                                Meddlesome sales person: *blank stare* Uh, we can't do that.
                                Me: Then I guess I need to look elsewhere for a laptop.
                                Meddlesome sales person: *walks away in a daze, his Microsoft
                                brainwashing conflicting with reality.*

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                                  LOL!!!!!!
                                  Thanks for the laugh.
                                  I needed that!
                                  Life is too short for Linux compatible wireless cards.
                                  Joe :(

                                  wrote:
                                  > Joey wrote:
                                  > > I see your point.
                                  > > Problem is I already had the cards for Windows.
                                  > > And when I go to places like Best Buy and Fry's inquiring about
                                  > > Linux compatible cards, I get a blank stare.
                                  >
                                  > Yes, I use that ignorance to get the sales people to stop
                                  bothering me.

                                  > Meddlesome sales person: Are you looking for a laptop? We have a
                                  nice
                                  > one....
                                  > Me: Yes, that's a nice laptop. But I want one with Mandrake Linux
                                  10
                                  > pre-installed.
                                  > Meddlesome sales person: *blank stare* Uh, we don't carry that.
                                  > Me: OK. How about a laptop without Windows on it?
                                  > Meddlesome sales person: *blank stare* Uh, we can't do that.
                                  > Me: Then I guess I need to look elsewhere for a laptop.
                                  > Meddlesome sales person: *walks away in a daze, his Microsoft
                                  > brainwashing conflicting with reality.*
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
                                  > http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net
                                  >
                                  > DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening
                                  >
                                  > "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
                                  > audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
                                  > sort of job."
                                  > - Ann Coulter
                                  >
                                  > Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
                                  > Running Mandrake Linux 9.2
                                • Alan Pope
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                                    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:18:52 -0000, Joey <conyankee@...> wrote:

                                    > I see your point.
                                    > Problem is I already had the cards for Windows.
                                    > And when I go to places like Best Buy and Fry's inquiring about
                                    > Linux compatible cards, I get a blank stare.
                                    > Thanks for your help.
                                    > Joe

                                    Indeed, that does make it tricky. I have a similar problem with an HP
                                    scanner that works under Windows, but doesn't work under Linux. I have
                                    a few options (the same as you). I could sell the scanner and buy
                                    another one. I could keep the scanner and hope that in the future that
                                    it is supported. Alternatively I could learn C and try to develop a
                                    scanner driver myself! :D. With an unsupported wireless card you could
                                    possibly go to an independent computer store and trade it in for one
                                    that you know is supported. When I was in the US a few weeks ago a
                                    friend showed me Frys and Best Buys for new stuff but also the smaller
                                    stores like Action Computer Supplies, who trade in second hand
                                    equipment. Maybe you might want to try them.

                                    What I'd definately suggest is further research online. Talk to people
                                    who already have Linux. Possibly get in touch with a local Linux user
                                    group. Chat to people online - on IRC perhaps. Attend a meet, and talk
                                    to people in person about their experience with wireless.

                                    Hope that helps.
                                    Cheers,
                                    Al.
                                  • Joey
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                                      Some good ideas.
                                      Thanks!
                                      <alan.pope@g...> wrote:
                                      > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:18:52 -0000, Joey <conyankee@y...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I see your point.
                                      > > Problem is I already had the cards for Windows.
                                      > > And when I go to places like Best Buy and Fry's inquiring about
                                      > > Linux compatible cards, I get a blank stare.
                                      > > Thanks for your help.
                                      > > Joe
                                      > >

                                      > Indeed, that does make it tricky. I have a similar problem with an
                                      HP
                                      > scanner that works under Windows, but doesn't work under Linux. I
                                      have
                                      > a few options (the same as you). I could sell the scanner and buy
                                      > another one. I could keep the scanner and hope that in the future
                                      that
                                      > it is supported. Alternatively I could learn C and try to develop a
                                      > scanner driver myself! :D. With an unsupported wireless card you
                                      could
                                      > possibly go to an independent computer store and trade it in for
                                      one
                                      > that you know is supported. When I was in the US a few weeks ago a
                                      > friend showed me Frys and Best Buys for new stuff but also the
                                      smaller
                                      > stores like Action Computer Supplies, who trade in second hand
                                      > equipment. Maybe you might want to try them.
                                      >
                                      > What I'd definately suggest is further research online. Talk to
                                      people
                                      > who already have Linux. Possibly get in touch with a local Linux
                                      user
                                      > group. Chat to people online - on IRC perhaps. Attend a meet, and
                                      talk
                                      > to people in person about their experience with wireless.
                                      >
                                      > Hope that helps.
                                      > Cheers,
                                      > Al.
                                    • Scott Evans
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                                        Cisco Systems as really stepped up to support Linux
                                        aswell. The Cisco Aironet 340 and 350 cards work well
                                        under linux. The process of getting it to work is not
                                        a trivial process, but alot easier then some. They
                                        are expensive thou ($100-$130 depends on where you
                                        look). You can get some on ebay however for under 50
                                        bucks.

                                        Just my 2 cents.

                                        Scott

                                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                                      • turkeynip
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                                          As opposed to spending even $50 bucks for a wi-fi card, why not look
                                          at the Xterasys XN-2422g...I bought mine about a month ago(~$28 USD).
                                          I've documented how to get it working in Linux (and it works more
                                          reliably than when I'm in WinXP). It just uses ndiswrapper---install
                                          the ndiswrapper pkg:

                                          >tar xzvf ndiswrapper-0.7.tar.gz -C /directory/where/contents/will/go
                                          >cd /directory/where/contents/will/go

                                          (as root)
                                          >make install

                                          install the windows driver
                                          >ndiswrapper -i </path/to/inffile.inf>

                                          if you run (as root)
                                          > ndiswrapper -l

                                          you should see your installed drivers..:
                                          Installed ndis drivers:
                                          tnet1130 present

                                          You'll then need to add some config files, and edit some existing
                                          ones, which I've documented at
                                          http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~mas582/Linux/hardware.htm#wi-fi

                                          Just make sure to change the parameters to they meet your card (I note
                                          in the config files which ones these are)....and you should be all
                                          set.

                                          Best of luck, if you don't wish to buy the new card, you can try this
                                          with your current cards, and see if it works.

                                          Mike

                                          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Scott Evans
                                          <munkey1979@y...> wrote:
                                          > Cisco Systems as really stepped up to support Linux
                                          > aswell. The Cisco Aironet 340 and 350 cards work well
                                          > under linux. The process of getting it to work is not
                                          > a trivial process, but alot easier then some. They
                                          > are expensive thou ($100-$130 depends on where you
                                          > look). You can get some on ebay however for under 50
                                          > bucks.
                                          >
                                          > Just my 2 cents.
                                          >
                                          > Scott

                                          > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                                        • Douglas S. Oliver
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                                            Hi Joey, I've read through the replies to your post, and yes most folks have problems. In part it's because most new laptops come with newer 802.11g or something like that cards that work at a faster transfer rate. Only slowly are the specs for these new cards getting out. If you can afford the money, Linuxant has a program designed to use the Windows drivers. This is of course what the ndiswrapper program does, but the Linuxant program comes with support. I think it's still around $25 USD. I got fed up and got the Linuxant program. It works well. -- d

                                            <joelt49@y...> wrote:
                                            > Wireless support in linux is flaky at best. Your best
                                            > bet is ndiswrapper: http://ndiswrapper.sf.net
                                            > Basically, it lets you use your binary Windows driver
                                            > under linux. It's not perfect, but I would give it a try.
                                            >
                                            > =====
                                            > Joel

                                            > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

                                          • Martin D. White
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                                              I have been using ndiswrapper for about 4 months with no trouble on my
                                              linksys ver 4 PCMCIA card and linksys wireless router. I tried a lot of
                                              other 'native' drivers for linux first and I tried the ndiswrapper it worked
                                              great, If it had not I was going to use the linuxant driver.

                                              Martin D. White
                                              http://www.mindspring.com/~martinwhite
                                            • Joey
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                                                Thank you!
                                                I'll try it.

                                                In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "turkeynip" <mas582@p...>
                                                wrote:
                                                > As opposed to spending even $50 bucks for a wi-fi card, why not look
                                                > at the Xterasys XN-2422g...I bought mine about a month ago(~$28
                                                USD).
                                                > I've documented how to get it working in Linux (and it works more
                                                > reliably than when I'm in WinXP). It just uses ndiswrapper---install
                                                > the ndiswrapper pkg:
                                                >
                                                > >tar xzvf ndiswrapper-0.7.tar.gz -
                                                C /directory/where/contents/will/go
                                                > >cd /directory/where/contents/will/go
                                                >
                                                > (as root)
                                                > >make install
                                                >
                                                > install the windows driver
                                                > >ndiswrapper -i </path/to/inffile.inf>
                                                >
                                                > if you run (as root)
                                                > > ndiswrapper -l
                                                >
                                                > you should see your installed drivers..:
                                                > Installed ndis drivers:
                                                > tnet1130 present
                                                >
                                                > You'll then need to add some config files, and edit some existing
                                                > ones, which I've documented at
                                                > http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~mas582/Linux/hardware.htm#wi-fi
                                                >
                                                > Just make sure to change the parameters to they meet your card (I
                                                note
                                                > in the config files which ones these are)....and you should be all
                                                > set.
                                                >
                                                > Best of luck, if you don't wish to buy the new card, you can try
                                                this
                                                > with your current cards, and see if it works.
                                                >
                                                > Mike
                                                >

                                                > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Scott Evans
                                                > <munkey1979@y...> wrote:
                                                > > Cisco Systems as really stepped up to support Linux
                                                > > aswell. The Cisco Aironet 340 and 350 cards work well
                                                > > under linux. The process of getting it to work is not
                                                > > a trivial process, but alot easier then some. They
                                                > > are expensive thou ($100-$130 depends on where you
                                                > > look). You can get some on ebay however for under 50
                                                > > bucks.
                                                > >
                                                > > Just my 2 cents.
                                                > >
                                                > > Scott

                                              • Joey
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                                                  Thanks for the tip about Linuxant.
                                                  Both my cards are 802.11b, not g.
                                                  Joe

                                                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas S. Oliver"
                                                  <dsoliver@e...> wrote:
                                                  > Hi Joey, I've read through the replies to your post, and yes most
                                                  folks have problems. In part it's because most new laptops come with
                                                  newer 802.11g or something like that cards that work at a faster
                                                  transfer rate. Only slowly are the specs for these new cards getting
                                                  out. If you can afford the money, Linuxant has a program designed to
                                                  use the Windows drivers. This is of course what the ndiswrapper
                                                  program does, but the Linuxant program comes with support. I think
                                                  it's still around $25 USD. I got fed up and got the Linuxant program.
                                                  It works well. -- d

                                                • Joey
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                                                    Thanks. I think I'll try the ndiswrapper.
                                                    I didn't even think about the router. Do I have to change that too?
                                                    And then will it still work for Windows?

                                                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Martin D. White"

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jun 26, 2004
                                                      The router should not matter....(most of the time)....I think someone
                                                      mentioned a Netgear router or something, and someone mentioned a
                                                      Linksys....I've got a Netgear (the B version, since I didn't want to
                                                      pay as much for the G just yet...)

                                                      But you'll need to make sure the router is configured properly. You
                                                      should probably have encription on your wi-fi card...(I don't...but
                                                      don't follow my example)...so this will require slightly more work in
                                                      Linux, but if you want me to figure it out, I can do that (I should
                                                      anyway)...

                                                      Make sure your router is set to only accept certain wireless mac
                                                      addresses though...when I first moved into my apartment people were
                                                      either stealing, or mistakenly connecting to my router (and there-by
                                                      getting free internet)...I'm all for free, but not stealing...

                                                      Anyway, let me (or of course the group) with setting up encription or
                                                      router settings (and please include a router model, and model #).

                                                      Mike

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jun 27, 2004
                                                        Thank, Mike.
                                                        I'll keep you posted.

                                                        wrote:
                                                        > The router should not matter....(most of the time)....I think
                                                        someone
                                                        > mentioned a Netgear router or something, and someone mentioned a
                                                        > Linksys....I've got a Netgear (the B version, since I didn't want
                                                        > pay as much for the G just yet...)
                                                        >
                                                        > But you'll need to make sure the router is configured properly. You
                                                        > should probably have encription on your wi-fi card...(I don't...but
                                                        > don't follow my example)...so this will require slightly more work
                                                        in
                                                        > Linux, but if you want me to figure it out, I can do that (I should
                                                        > anyway)...
                                                        >
                                                        > Make sure your router is set to only accept certain wireless mac
                                                        > addresses though...when I first moved into my apartment people were
                                                        > either stealing, or mistakenly connecting to my router (and there-
                                                        by
                                                        > getting free internet)...I'm all for free, but not stealing...
                                                        >
                                                        > Anyway, let me (or of course the group) with setting up encription
                                                        or
                                                        > router settings (and please include a router model, and model #).
                                                        >
                                                        > Mike
                                                        >
                                                        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Joey" <conyankee@y...>
                                                        wrote:
                                                        > > Thanks. I think I'll try the ndiswrapper.
                                                        > > I didn't even think about the router. Do I have to change that
                                                        too?
                                                        > > And then will it still work for Windows?
                                                        > >

                                                        > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Martin D. White"
                                                        > > <martinwhite@m...> wrote:
                                                        > > > I have been using ndiswrapper for about 4 months with no
                                                        trouble on
                                                        > > my
                                                        > > > linksys ver 4 PCMCIA card and linksys wireless router. I tried
                                                        > > lot of
                                                        > > > other 'native' drivers for linux first and I tried the
                                                        ndiswrapper
                                                        > > it worked
                                                        > > > great, If it had not I was going to use the linuxant driver.
                                                        > > >
                                                        > > > Martin D. White
                                                        > > > http://www.mindspring.com/~martinwhite
                                                      • Thomas McCarthy
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jun 27, 2004
                                                          ndiswrapper was a little bit complicated to get running, but it's really
                                                          not all that bad. However, you should probably take that statement with
                                                          a grain of salt because I was never able to get it properly running and
                                                          connected to the internet. Instead what I used was the linuxant driver.
                                                          It too is a wrapper that allows you to use the windows drivers, but I
                                                          found to be easier to install. It's proprietary though. It costs $20.
                                                          Well worth it though, in my opinion.

                                                          I don't know for sure why nobody has written a driver for the truemobile
                                                          cards (at least to my knowledge there is no such driver), but my
                                                          understanding is that the company that makes the cards isn't open about
                                                          the inner workings of the cards and hasn't provided a driver for them.
                                                          It makes it difficult to write a driver. Not impossible, I guess, but
                                                          difficult. Not all linux users have to jump through these hoops to get
                                                          their wireless cards working. In fact, when the card is supported it
                                                          seems rather trivial. It's just a little complicated sometimes depending
                                                          on the hardware issues involved. I wish I had done better checking of
                                                          the wireless card I chose before I bought it because had I done so I
                                                          would have purchased a card that had better support under linux. If I
                                                          had done that I wouldn't have had to jump through the same hoops you're
                                                          jumping through now.

                                                          Tom

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jun 30, 2004
                                                            Thanks for the reply, Tom.
                                                            It seems that the Dell Trumobile 1180 is not supported by Linux, but
                                                            the 1150 is. I, of course have the 1180.
                                                            As far as the Airlink in concerned, it's not supported period. But
                                                            hey, it was on sale at Fry's for $14.99. I guess I can't expect much
                                                            for that price. And it does work fine in Windoze.
                                                            I'm going to the try the ndiswrapper.
                                                            Rest assured that I'll be back here asking how to do it.
                                                            Thanks for all your help,
                                                            Joe

                                                            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Thomas McCarthy

                                                          • Christopher TenHarmsel
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Jul 6, 2004
                                                              Figured I'd give my $0.02 cents.

                                                              Get a Linksys WPC11 ver 3. They work great, have been out for a while
                                                              (so you can probably get one cheaply) and the drivers (especially the
                                                              newest beta one) support the Linux Wireless Extensions pretty well.

                                                              -Chris

                                                              On Saturday 26 June 2004 15:14, Douglas S. Oliver wrote:
                                                              > Hi Joey, I've read through the replies to your post, and yes most
                                                              > folks have problems. In part it's because most new laptops come with
                                                              > newer 802.11g or something like that cards that work at a faster
                                                              > transfer rate. Only slowly are the specs for these new cards getting
                                                              > out. If you can afford the money, Linuxant has a program designed to
                                                              > use the Windows drivers. This is of course what the ndiswrapper
                                                              > program does, but the Linuxant program comes with support. I think
                                                              > it's still around $25 USD. I got fed up and got the Linuxant program.
                                                              > It works well. -- d

                                                              Chris TenHarmsel
                                                              Software Journeyman
                                                              Atomic Object, LLC