Blank screen-->resolution change

  • turkeynip
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 17, 2004
      I have an Inspiron 8500, using Slackware 9.1 (kernel 2.6.6 configured
      with APM (I can't get ACPI working, if someone has gotten it properly
      working under the same kernel/distro/laptop, please let me know!).

      When I blank the screen and close the lid I need to lift and then
      close the lid again for the screen to actually turn off. (This is not
      an issue in Windows, so it's not a strict laptop/hardware problem).
      Also, the screen resolution changes to something other than the
      standard 1680x1050 if the mouse moves while the screen is blanked.
      I've tried removing all possible resolutions in my XF86Config file
      (except for the 1680x1050). Gnome still allows me to change the
      resolution to several other options...

      If you have any ideas/suggestions I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

      --Mike
    • Gus Wiening
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 21, 2004
        --- turkeynip <mas582@...> wrote:
        > I have an Inspiron 8500, using Slackware 9.1 (kernel
        > 2.6.6 configured
        > with APM (I can't get ACPI working, if someone has
        > gotten it properly
        > working under the same kernel/distro/laptop, please
        > let me know!).

        I have Slack9.1 on an i8200 running 2.6.6. I don't use
        ACPI as GKrellM can't read ACPI stuff (wtf?) without a
        plugin, which makes GKrellM segfault. To my knowledge
        I /do/ have ACPI set up and running under that kernel,
        but it isn't in use.

        > When I blank the screen and close the lid I need to
        > lift and then
        > close the lid again for the screen to actually turn
        > off. (This is not
        > an issue in Windows, so it's not a strict
        > laptop/hardware problem).
        > Also, the screen resolution changes to something
        > other than the
        > standard 1680x1050 if the mouse moves while the
        > screen is blanked.
        > I've tried removing all possible resolutions in my
        > XF86Config file
        > (except for the 1680x1050). Gnome still allows me to
        > change the
        > resolution to several other options...

        What driver are you using for this? I have to use the
        generic "nv" driver, as the official nvidia driver
        won't modprobe for me when I'm in 2.6.6 (compiles
        fine, as near as I can tell, but won't load because of
        invalid symbols). If I close the lid on my laptop at
        all when it's on battery and in X, it won't come back
        up -- I have to power off, the un-graceful "hold down
        the power button until it turns off" way. With the
        official nvidia driver (also kernel 2.4.22) I was able
        to close and open the laptop at will.

        =====
        Encumbered forever by desire and ambition,
        There's a hunger still unsatisfied.
        Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon,
        Though down that road we've been so many times...
        - Pink Floyd, "High Hopes"

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Ash Varma
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 21, 2004
          It appears that on Jun 21 2004 at 10:10:05, Gus Wiening wrote ...
          > I have Slack9.1 on an i8200 running 2.6.6. I don't use
          > ACPI as GKrellM can't read ACPI stuff (wtf?) without a
          > plugin, which makes GKrellM segfault. To my knowledge
          > I /do/ have ACPI set up and running under that kernel,
          > but it isn't in use.

          What version of GKrellM?

          I am using GKrellM 2.2.1 with kernel 2.6.5 and ACPI, and it works
          correctly here without plugins....

          Using an inspiron 5150 though, so maybe the difference in the machine is
          responsible, but that seems unlikely...

          --

          Ash Varma
          tnedor@...

          "The sixties were good to you, weren't they?"
          -- George Carlin
        • turkeynip
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 22, 2004
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Gus Wiening
            <web_raptor.geo@y...> wrote:
            > --- turkeynip <mas582@p...> wrote:
            > > I have an Inspiron 8500, using Slackware 9.1 (kernel
            > > 2.6.6 configured
            > > with APM (I can't get ACPI working, if someone has
            > > gotten it properly
            > > working under the same kernel/distro/laptop, please
            > > let me know!).
            >
            > I have Slack9.1 on an i8200 running 2.6.6. I don't use
            > ACPI as GKrellM can't read ACPI stuff (wtf?) without a
            > plugin, which makes GKrellM segfault. To my knowledge
            > I /do/ have ACPI set up and running under that kernel,
            > but it isn't in use.

            Could you email me your kernel.config?

            > > When I blank the screen and close the lid I need to
            > > lift and then
            > > close the lid again for the screen to actually turn
            > > off. (This is not
            > > an issue in Windows, so it's not a strict
            > > laptop/hardware problem).
            > > Also, the screen resolution changes to something
            > > other than the
            > > standard 1680x1050 if the mouse moves while the
            > > screen is blanked.
            > > I've tried removing all possible resolutions in my
            > > XF86Config file
            > > (except for the 1680x1050). Gnome still allows me to
            > > change the
            > > resolution to several other options...
            >
            > What driver are you using for this?

            I'm using NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run from the nvidia site. In
            my copious free time :-P, I'll try some other options, such as using
            the 'nv' default driver, and updating the Nvidia driver (if there's a
            new one).

            > I have to use the
            > generic "nv" driver, as the official nvidia driver
            > won't modprobe for me when I'm in 2.6.6 (compiles
            > fine, as near as I can tell, but won't load because of
            > invalid symbols).

            Check to make sure you've installed the newer Nvidia drivers, since
            2.6.x uses different drivers (due to different driver loading
            issues)...also, check out http://linux.siprell.com/ or my Slackware
            version at http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~mas582/Linux/...to see how to get
            the Nvidia drivers working, although, all I did was add the following
            to /etc/modprobe.conf

            alias char-major-195* nvidia

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 22, 2004
              --- turkeynip <mas582@...> wrote:
              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Gus
              > Wiening
              > <web_raptor.geo@y...> wrote:
              > > --- turkeynip <mas582@p...> wrote:
              > > > I have an Inspiron 8500, using Slackware 9.1
              > (kernel
              > > > 2.6.6 configured
              > > > with APM (I can't get ACPI working, if someone
              > has
              > > > gotten it properly
              > > > working under the same kernel/distro/laptop,
              > please
              > > > let me know!).
              > >
              > > I have Slack9.1 on an i8200 running 2.6.6. I don't
              > use
              > > ACPI as GKrellM can't read ACPI stuff (wtf?)
              > without a
              > > plugin, which makes GKrellM segfault. To my
              > knowledge
              > > I /do/ have ACPI set up and running under that
              > kernel,
              > > but it isn't in use.
              >
              > Could you email me your kernel.config?
              >

              > > > When I blank the screen and close the lid I need
              > > > lift and then
              > > > close the lid again for the screen to actually
              > turn
              > > > off. (This is not
              > > > an issue in Windows, so it's not a strict
              > > > laptop/hardware problem).
              > > > Also, the screen resolution changes to something
              > > > other than the
              > > > standard 1680x1050 if the mouse moves while the
              > > > screen is blanked.
              > > > I've tried removing all possible resolutions in
              > my
              > > > XF86Config file
              > > > (except for the 1680x1050). Gnome still allows
              > me to
              > > > change the
              > > > resolution to several other options...
              > >
              > > What driver are you using for this?
              >
              > I'm using NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run from
              > the nvidia site. In
              > my copious free time :-P, I'll try some other
              > options, such as using
              > the 'nv' default driver, and updating the Nvidia
              > driver (if there's a
              > new one).
              >
              > > I have to use the
              > > generic "nv" driver, as the official nvidia driver
              > > won't modprobe for me when I'm in 2.6.6 (compiles
              > > fine, as near as I can tell, but won't load
              > because of
              > > invalid symbols).
              >
              > Check to make sure you've installed the newer Nvidia
              > drivers, since
              > 2.6.x uses different drivers (due to different
              > driver loading
              > issues)...also, check out http://linux.siprell.com/
              > or my Slackware
              > version at
              > http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~mas582/Linux/...to see how
              > to get
              > the Nvidia drivers working, although, all I did was
              > add the following
              > to /etc/modprobe.conf
              >
              > alias char-major-195* nvidia

              I've done all of that over the past few months. I'm
              fairly certain that it's GCC 3.4 that's causing the
              troubles. I'm going to see if I can't use the old
              3.2.3 to compile the kernel modules.

              =====

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 23, 2004
                --- turkeynip <mas582@...> wrote:
                > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Gus
                > Wiening
                > <web_raptor.geo@y...> wrote:
                > > --- turkeynip <mas582@p...> wrote:
                > > > I have an Inspiron 8500, using Slackware 9.1
                > (kernel
                > > > 2.6.6 configured
                > > > with APM (I can't get ACPI working, if someone
                > has
                > > > gotten it properly
                > > > working under the same kernel/distro/laptop,
                > please
                > > > let me know!).
                > >
                > > I have Slack9.1 on an i8200 running 2.6.6. I don't
                > use
                > > ACPI as GKrellM can't read ACPI stuff (wtf?)
                > without a
                > > plugin, which makes GKrellM segfault. To my
                > knowledge
                > > I /do/ have ACPI set up and running under that
                > kernel,
                > > but it isn't in use.
                >
                > Could you email me your kernel.config?

                .config is attached. Should be unmodified from my
                currently running kernel.

                > > > When I blank the screen and close the lid I need
                > > > lift and then
                > > > close the lid again for the screen to actually
                > turn
                > > > off. (This is not
                > > > an issue in Windows, so it's not a strict
                > > > laptop/hardware problem).
                > > > Also, the screen resolution changes to something
                > > > other than the
                > > > standard 1680x1050 if the mouse moves while the
                > > > screen is blanked.
                > > > I've tried removing all possible resolutions in
                > my
                > > > XF86Config file
                > > > (except for the 1680x1050). Gnome still allows
                > me to
                > > > change the
                > > > resolution to several other options...
                > >
                > > What driver are you using for this?
                >
                > I'm using NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run from
                > the nvidia site. In
                > my copious free time :-P, I'll try some other
                > options, such as using
                > the 'nv' default driver, and updating the Nvidia
                > driver (if there's a
                > new one).
                >
                > > I have to use the
                > > generic "nv" driver, as the official nvidia driver
                > > won't modprobe for me when I'm in 2.6.6 (compiles
                > > fine, as near as I can tell, but won't load
                > because of
                > > invalid symbols).
                >
                > Check to make sure you've installed the newer Nvidia
                > drivers, since
                > 2.6.x uses different drivers (due to different
                > driver loading
                > issues)...also, check out http://linux.siprell.com/
                > or my Slackware
                > version at
                > http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~mas582/Linux/...to see how
                > to get
                > the Nvidia drivers working, although, all I did was
                > add the following
                > to /etc/modprobe.conf
                >
                > alias char-major-195* nvidia

                I said yesterday I was going to try an old version of
                GCC. That didn't help any, so now I don't know what's
                up with it. Hopefully my kernel config file can help
                you get some insight.

                =====

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 26, 2004
                  UPDATE:
                  I've tried a number of different things at this point...I uninstalled
                  the NVIDIA driver...used the nv driver--> The screen blanks properly
                  when the lid is closed....when the lid is opened again the resolution
                  is completely screwed up....

                  I was going to install an older NVIDIA driver, however, since I'm
                  running 2.6.6 I need a 2.6.x compatible driver...which makes this very
                  hard to downgrade :-P....I may (later this weekend) try my 2.4.22
                  config, and see if the power management works...I'll let you guys know
                  the results...

                  I found out that the XF86config file was not what was being read (as
                  I've been used to for the past 5yrs of using Slackware)...it was
                  reading /etc/X11/xorg.conf *shrug* whatever...I manipulated it to make
                  sure that the only resolution that was supported was 1680x1050 (the
                  native resolution)....I'm interested to see if anyone has been able to
                  modify Gnome so that you can't change the resolution within
                  Gnome....I'm almost certain that this has something to do with the
                  problem...I've been using Dropline to update Gnome...but I don't know
                  where the config file (if any) is to control the resolution selection
                  choices...

                  Any other insight would be helpful. Thanks for the replies guys. I
                  still can't get that .config file (from the kernel web_raptor-guy....)
                  This site said that the file was not stored (for whatever reason)...

                  I'll keep you updated on any changes/successes/failures :-P

                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
                    UPDATE 2.0 :-P
                    Ok, everything's A-OK now....I altered the xorg.conf file so it only
                    had the native resolution in it (1680x1050). Now the screen blanks
                    right away, and when I open the lid again the screen comes back in the
                    native resolution.....wierd, but oh well....it works now.

                    Moral of the story, don't allow your laptop to have different
                    resolution settings :-P

                    Case Closed.

                    --Mike

                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "turkeynip" <mas582@p...>