Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Responsiveness and Sound

  • Bill Rosoman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2004
      --- koalillo <2075931@...> wrote: > Not as
      responsive as what?
      > > I have just installed mdk 10 with kernel 2.6.3 on
      > my I8200. But Ive
      > > noticed that the desktop is not as responsive and
      > sound is more likely
      > > to fall out when the load is high. I think Ive
      > read somewhere that you

      I have to set the sound at 32000 to stop it falling
      over. Am using KDE 3.2 alter in kcontrol

      HTH

      =====

      Bill Rosoman Dip C.S
      Hamilton

      New Zealand
      Telephone +64-21-233-5427

      Email leftfieldnz@...
      http://leftfieldnz.topcities.com

    • Søren Madsen
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2004
        > Not as responsive as what?

        Not as responsive as the Mandrake 9.2 (kernel 2.4.22) from which I
        upgraded.

        > There are options that are best turned on for desktop usage, but I
        > really would bet that Mandrake configures their stock kernels for
        > desktop usage.
        >
        > > I have just installed mdk 10 with kernel 2.6.3 on my I8200. But Ive
        > > noticed that the desktop is not as responsive and sound is more likely
        > > to fall out when the load is high. I think Ive read somewhere that you
        > > could change something with regarding to this in the new kernel. Does
        > > anyone know where? Or is there another way to improve theses things?
      • koalillo
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
          > > Not as responsive as what?
          >
          > Not as responsive as the Mandrake 9.2 (kernel 2.4.22) from which I
          > upgraded.

          Hmmm.... the usual checklist goes:

          1. Check that DMA is on using hdparm
          2. Check that no process is hogging cpu with top
          3. Check for CD automounters and the like. They sometimes hinder
          performance

          If it was just a 2.4 <-> 2.6 kernel change, I'd check if the X Server
          is niced. This was a good practice with 2.4 kernels, but it's bad with
          2.6... but I guess that MDK has this sorted out if they ship a 2.6 kernel.

          Also, if MDK supplies 2.4 kernels for your version, try switching to
          that... see if the problem is the MDK 9 <-> 10 or the kernel change...
        • Søren Madsen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 8, 2004
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "koalillo" <2075931@c...>
            wrote:
            > > > Not as responsive as what?
            > >
            > > Not as responsive as the Mandrake 9.2 (kernel 2.4.22) from which I
            > > upgraded.
            >
            > Hmmm.... the usual checklist goes:
            >
            > 1. Check that DMA is on using hdparm

            Check! :)

            > 2. Check that no process is hogging cpu with top

            Check! :)

            > 3. Check for CD automounters and the like. They sometimes hinder
            > performance

            Check! :)

            > If it was just a 2.4 <-> 2.6 kernel change, I'd check if the X Server
            > is niced. This was a good practice with 2.4 kernels, but it's bad with
            > 2.6... but I guess that MDK has this sorted out if they ship a 2.6
            kernel.

            The X11 process runs with a nice value of 0