Re: Responsiveness and Sound

  • koalillo
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2004
      Not as responsive as what?

      There are options that are best turned on for desktop usage, but I
      really would bet that Mandrake configures their stock kernels for
      desktop usage.

      > I have just installed mdk 10 with kernel 2.6.3 on my I8200. But Ive
      > noticed that the desktop is not as responsive and sound is more likely
      > to fall out when the load is high. I think Ive read somewhere that you
      > could change something with regarding to this in the new kernel. Does
      > anyone know where? Or is there another way to improve theses things?
    • Bill Rosoman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2004
        --- koalillo <2075931@...> wrote: > Not as
        responsive as what?
        > > I have just installed mdk 10 with kernel 2.6.3 on
        > my I8200. But Ive
        > > noticed that the desktop is not as responsive and
        > sound is more likely
        > > to fall out when the load is high. I think Ive
        > read somewhere that you

        I have to set the sound at 32000 to stop it falling
        over. Am using KDE 3.2 alter in kcontrol

        HTH

        =====

        Bill Rosoman Dip C.S
        Hamilton

        New Zealand
        Telephone +64-21-233-5427

        Email leftfieldnz@...
        http://leftfieldnz.topcities.com

      • Søren Madsen
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2004
          > Not as responsive as what?

          Not as responsive as the Mandrake 9.2 (kernel 2.4.22) from which I
          upgraded.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
            > > Not as responsive as what?
            >
            > Not as responsive as the Mandrake 9.2 (kernel 2.4.22) from which I
            > upgraded.

            Hmmm.... the usual checklist goes:

            1. Check that DMA is on using hdparm
            2. Check that no process is hogging cpu with top
            3. Check for CD automounters and the like. They sometimes hinder
            performance

            If it was just a 2.4 <-> 2.6 kernel change, I'd check if the X Server
            is niced. This was a good practice with 2.4 kernels, but it's bad with
            2.6... but I guess that MDK has this sorted out if they ship a 2.6 kernel.

            Also, if MDK supplies 2.4 kernels for your version, try switching to
            that... see if the problem is the MDK 9 <-> 10 or the kernel change...
          • Søren Madsen
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 8, 2004
              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "koalillo" <2075931@c...>
              wrote:
              > > > Not as responsive as what?
              > >
              > > Not as responsive as the Mandrake 9.2 (kernel 2.4.22) from which I
              > > upgraded.
              >
              > Hmmm.... the usual checklist goes:
              >
              > 1. Check that DMA is on using hdparm

              Check! :)

              > 2. Check that no process is hogging cpu with top

              Check! :)

              > 3. Check for CD automounters and the like. They sometimes hinder
              > performance

              Check! :)

              > If it was just a 2.4 <-> 2.6 kernel change, I'd check if the X Server
              > is niced. This was a good practice with 2.4 kernels, but it's bad with
              > 2.6... but I guess that MDK has this sorted out if they ship a 2.6
              kernel.

              The X11 process runs with a nice value of 0