Dell D600 and External Monitor?

  • Edgars Smits
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2004
      I sent this in once before, no answer, maybe I'll be lucky second time
      around...

      I have a brand new Dell Latitude D600 (company standard), not a bad
      machine but not very Linux friendly (as opposed to my old Dell). I'm
      running Mandrake 10 Official, but this problem existed with other
      distro's as well.

      It has an ATI Radeon 9000 video card. When I try to use my external
      monitor in an X session it doesn't work. Text mode is fine, but the
      moment X kicks off it dies.

      I have made the XF86Config-4 edit that was needed by my old Dell, it
      made no difference.

      As well, the FN + F8 combo used to switch between external CRT and LCD
      works up until X kicks off, then there is no response. Once X is stopped
      you can use the keys again. however the CRT display is garbled.

      Any ideas?

      Ed Smits