Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Merging Partitions (Help!)

  • Alan Schmitt
    Message 1 of 20 , May 31, 2004
      * Solomon Grundy (fantomas@...) wrote:
      > OK, it's been almost a month since you guys helped me out with, and I
      > just got around to trying the partition merge this afternoon. Everything
      > went well, apparently. I checked the block sizes, found that the
      > partitions I wanted to merge went from 7875 to 12872 and from 12873 to
      > 16621, respectively. I deleted the second partition and resized the
      > first one, so it now went from 7875 to 16621. No errors were reported.
      > Upon finishing, I rebooted, just to check everything was OK. Boot up
      > went well, no error messages.
      >
      > However, when I logged into Linux, the new size isn't detected, and it
      > is as if I'd done nothing. I've checked the partition sizes again using
      > parted, but it seems they're OK. What am I missing?

      At first glance, I'd say that you resized your partition, but not the
      filesystem on it. What filesystem do you use ?

      Alan Schmitt

      --
      The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.
      .O.
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 6, 2004
        Well, one partition is formatted as EXT3, the other is simply shown as
        unallocated disk space. I'm feeling somewhat stupid right now, but I do
        believe that might be the problem. How do I modify the filesystem size?

        On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 00:10, Alan Schmitt wrote:
        > * Solomon Grundy (fantomas@...) wrote:
        > > OK, it's been almost a month since you guys helped me out with, and I
        > > just got around to trying the partition merge this afternoon. Everything
        > > went well, apparently. I checked the block sizes, found that the
        > > partitions I wanted to merge went from 7875 to 12872 and from 12873 to
        > > 16621, respectively. I deleted the second partition and resized the
        > > first one, so it now went from 7875 to 16621. No errors were reported.
        > > Upon finishing, I rebooted, just to check everything was OK. Boot up
        > > went well, no error messages.
        > >
        > > However, when I logged into Linux, the new size isn't detected, and it
        > > is as if I'd done nothing. I've checked the partition sizes again using
        > > parted, but it seems they're OK. What am I missing?
        >
        > At first glance, I'd say that you resized your partition, but not the
        > filesystem on it. What filesystem do you use ?
        >
        > Alan Schmitt
      • Alan Schmitt
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 6, 2004
          * Solomon Grundy (fantomas@...) wrote:
          > Well, one partition is formatted as EXT3, the other is simply shown as
          > unallocated disk space. I'm feeling somewhat stupid right now, but I do
          > believe that might be the problem. How do I modify the filesystem size?

          I can't really help you here, evms did it automatically for me. But I'm
          pretty sure there are some tools out there.

          Alan Schmitt

          --
        • gebser@speakeasy.net
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004

            =
            = I can't really help you here, evms did it automatically for me. But I'm
            = pretty sure there are some tools out there.
            =
            = Alan Schmitt

            If the ext3 partition and the empty one need to be adjacent to each
            other physically, you should be able to use fdisk to accomplish this;
            fdisk should already be installed on your linux machine. Here's what to
            do:

            * Back up the data on the ext3 partition.

            * Go into fdisk (see 'man fdisk' for details), note the beginning
            cylinder of the first partition and ending cylinder of the second.

            * Delete the ext3 partition.

            * Create a new ext3 partition using the cylinder numbers you noted
            above.

            * Save and quit fdisk.

            * Use mkfs to put a filesystem on the new paritions (see 'man mkfs' for
            details).

            * Restore the data to the partition.

            Nope, you don't have to reboot. :)

            If any of this is unclear to you, you probably want to read the
            Partitioning-HOWTO, available in lots of places. Consult your favorite
            search engine for locations.

            hth,
            ken
          • gebser@speakeasy.net
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 7, 2004
              At 05:54 (UTC-0400) on Mon, 7 Jun 2004 gebser@... said:

              = At 07:32 (UTC+0200) on Mon, 7 Jun 2004 Alan Schmitt said:
              =
              = = * Solomon Grundy (fantomas@...) wrote:
              = = > Well, one partition is formatted as EXT3, the other is simply shown as
              = = > unallocated disk space. I'm feeling somewhat stupid right now, but I do
              = = > believe that might be the problem. How do I modify the filesystem size?
              = =
              = = I can't really help you here, evms did it automatically for me. But I'm
              = = pretty sure there are some tools out there.
              = =
              = = Alan Schmitt
              =
              = If the ext3 partition and the empty one need to be adjacent to each

              I should have written "If the ext3 partition and the empty one *are*
[...]

              = --------------------------------------------------------------
              = Please post your X config files in the group links or database
              = To unsubscribe, email: linux-dell-laptops-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
              = FAQ: http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq
              = Yahoo! Groups Links
              =
              =
              =
              =
              =
              =
            • Dado Feigenblatt
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 28, 2004
                Solomon Grundy wrote:

                >Well, one partition is formatted as EXT3, the other is simply shown as
                >unallocated disk space. I'm feeling somewhat stupid right now, but I do
                >believe that might be the problem. How do I modify the filesystem size?
                >
                >On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 00:10, Alan Schmitt wrote:
                >

                >> At first glance, I'd say that you resized your partition, but not the
                >>
                >>filesystem on it. What filesystem do you use ?
                >>
                >>Alan Schmitt

                Have a look at resize2fs.
                Its man page says it resizes ext2 filesystems, but it should work on
                ext3 as well.
                But I'm not sure so you should do some research on it. Don't blame me if
                you loose your data.
                If it doesn't work on ext3, you can convert the filesystem to ext2,
                resize it, and convert back to ext3.

                --
                Dado Feigenblatt Wild Brain, Inc.
                Technical Director (415) 553-8000
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 28, 2004
                  Thanks for the advice. I eventually managed to repartition my Hard Disk
                  using parted, just as Tom Grimes suggested. Was a bit of a headache, but
                  I was succesful. I will hang on to your advise, though, I might have to
                  do it again, and I'm always game for trying new methods.

                  Thanks again. Cheers,

                  SG