Dell D600 and port replicators

  • Edgars Smits
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2004
      Just got a new Dell D600 (company issued), installed Mandrake10 CE.
      Everything works OK now - did have issues with sound and network, the
      sound card is a SigmaTel one that is identified by Linux as an Intel
      8280IDB AC'97 , other distros install the latest sound drivers for it
      (snd_intel8x0) works fine, Mandrake's same driver causes howling from
      the machine, specifying the i810_audio driver instead works fine.

      Also had issues with MDK and the Broadcom GigaBit card, other distros
      (incl. MDK 9.2) see the card and work with it fine, MDK 10CE sees the
      card and installs the drivers for it, but on bootup it says eth0 failed
      and w2hen you try to change the cards settings etc the system freezes.
      Even weirder, on a clean install of the OS it warns that the card has
      been previously configured for use - if you accept the existing settings
      you end up with the dead card and system freeze previously mentioned,
      but if you tell it to redo the card during install it forces a crashed
      installation, however when booting (thankfully the crash is after the
      bootloader is installed) eth0 still fails, however on actually using it
      the network is fine. Good thing I'm using DHCP, if I try to set it for
      specific IP or change any parameters I freeze again....

      Anyway - the real reason for the email - when attaching an exterior
      monitor via the port replicator - as soon as I start X the external
      monitor dies. I know about the XF86Config-4 line:

      Option "Display" "BIOS"

      this isn't my first Dell running Linux, however this doesn't seem to do
      much good with this new model, when that didn't work I took it out
      thinking that maybe the new Dells were different, still no joy.

      Has anyone else run into this?

      specs:
      Dell Latitude D600
      512 MB RAM